Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Well, AS is rightfully considered to be the nerd disease. While I am a nerd, I am not like most nerds in that I'm much more socially awkward.

I've always been idenified as a "punk" or "hardcore"....and I'm a chick. When I was a teenager I wanted to dress up in chains and go for the whole punk thing but my mom wouldn't let me. I really wish she would have. People think I am some kind of computer genius when they see the video games I've made with Power Point. I think I might upgrade it to Flash someday but I have a feeling Flash is too complicated. I don't have the paitence for complicated. I work on my games to releave tension and stress, not cause it. When I broke the ice to my best friend and told her I'm autistic she didn't believe me and told me she just thought I was somekind of genius because I'm a walking encyclopedia on zoology. I guess to most people I do appear as a nerd, but to people who know me, I'm either "kind of a punk" or "hardcore" to my two best friends.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

25 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
Well, AS is rightfully considered to be the nerd disease. While I am a nerd, I am not like most nerds in that I'm much more socially awkward.

I've always been idenified as a "punk" or "hardcore"....and I'm a chick. When I was a teenager I wanted to dress up in chains and go for the whole punk thing but my mom wouldn't let me. I really wish she would have. People think I am some kind of computer genius when they see the video games I've made with Power Point. I think I might upgrade it to Flash someday but I have a feeling Flash is too complicated. I don't have the paitence for complicated. I work on my games to releave tension and stress, not cause it. When I broke the ice to my best friend and told her I'm autistic she didn't believe me and told me she just thought I was somekind of genius because I'm a walking encyclopedia on zoology. I guess to most people I do appear as a nerd, but to people who know me, I'm either "kind of a punk" or "hardcore" to my two best friends.

You can make video games with Power Point...? Is that like one of those "If you want to go left, press the right key once, if you want to go right, press the right key twice." text RPG kind of deals?

Also, girls have it easier with AS because the nonverbal component (Body language and, to a lesser extent, tonality) is less impacted, so it's harder to distinguish in females unless it's really bad. That's why "AS girls" usually have significantly higher AQ scores than "AS guys", because girls have to be *really* autistic for it to be sufficiently noticeable to warrant a diagnosis.

Last edited by swbluto on 25 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

I have a feeling the apropriate NT response to this would be "I can't explain it but I know it when I see it."

They are reading and reacting to things on an instinctual level that you do not have. They don't realize they are doing what they do, just as you don't realize what it is your NOT doing.

No wonder NT's and ASD have so much trouble meeting in the middle.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

swbluto wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
SammichEater wrote:

You can make video games with Point Point...? Is that like one of those "If you want to go left, press the right key once, if you want to go right, press the right key twice." text RPG kind of deals?

Also, girls have it easier with AS because the nonverbal component (Body language and, to a lesser extent, tonality) is less impacted, so it's harder to distinguish in females unless it's really bad. That's why "AS girls" usually have significantly higher AQ scores than "AS guys", because girls have to be *really* autistic for it to be sufficiently noticeable to warrant a diagnosis.

Sorta of. You just put the cursor on the sides to go left and right. I didn't know you could use the arrow keys for that. No it's not a text RPG. You click on diffrent things and diffrent things happen. It's kinda like those "Living Books" video games from the early 90's. It's supposed to be like you are in a museum. I've had people tell me they felt like they were in a real musem but they were probably just trying to be nice.

It was VERY obvious to everyone that something wasn't quite right about me. I presented my AS more simmaliar to how a boy would present it. I was so hyper and wound up I'd probably make Sonic the hedgehog collapse from exaustion. My mom says I would litteraly bounce off walls. I was also agressive.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

25 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
swbluto wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
SammichEater wrote:

You can make video games with Point Point...? Is that like one of those "If you want to go left, press the right key once, if you want to go right, press the right key twice." text RPG kind of deals?

Sorta of. You just put the cursor on the sides to go left and right. I didn't know you could use the arrow keys for that. No it's not a text RPG. You click on diffrent things and diffrent things happen. It's kinda like those "Living Books" video games from the early 90's. It's supposed to be like you are in a museum. I've had people tell me they felt like they were in a real musem but they were probably just trying to be nice.

Wow, that's cool. Was there any custom programming to get it to do the "different things"? I have a hard time imagining power point would be sophisticated enough for that kind of stuff, although I could imagine linking to other slides or something like that.

Quote:
It was VERY obvious to everyone that something wasn't quite right about me. I presented my AS more simmaliar to how a boy would present it. I was so hyper and wound up I'd probably make Sonic the hedgehog collapse from exaustion. My mom says I would litteraly bounce off walls. I was also agressive.

I heard there was a lot overlap between ADHD, aspergers and weirdness (I'm looking at your sig and, yep, that's totally my view of society. Most of the people who think of me as weird are just TOOOOO NORMAL, ARGGGG!! !! Most of the advances and novelties in society come from weirdos.) ... I'm mentioning that because my most recent screening with the psych suggested I had ADD/ADHD, although I have some significant doubts about that considering the relevant dissimilarities between me and other ADHD sufferers and I seemed to "pass" that executive functioning test.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 11:53 pm

swbluto wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
swbluto wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
SammichEater wrote:

Wow, that's cool. Was there any custom programming to get it to do the "different things"? I have a hard time imagining power point would be sophisticated enough for that kind of stuff, although I could imagine linking to other slides or something like that.

Quote:

I heard there was a lot overlap between ADHD, aspergers and weirdness (I'm looking at your sig and, yep, that's totally my view of society. Most of the people who think of me as weird are just TOOOOO NORMAL, ARGGGG!! !! Most of the advances and novelties in society come from weirdos.) ... I'm mentioning that because my most recent screening with the psych suggested I had ADD/ADHD, although I have some significant doubts about that considering the relevant dissimilarities between me and other ADHD sufferers and I seemed to "pass" that executive functioning test.

No, it's all Power Point. I've been able to get it to play DVDs and computer games though.
I just click on "target" and it can play sound or go into a diffrent slide. To make something apear or do something when you click on a button or something you have to go into the animation effects and select "timing" then select "triggers", then "start effect on click of:" then select the name of the picture. It's pretty simple but it took me years to learn. While all the other teens were socialzing and stuff, I was learning how to make video games with Power Point. As I said, I was able to impress people who supposedly took courses in college for Power Point but I think they just were not paying attention or the professor was an idot.

I was actualy originaly diagnosed with ADHD a year before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. No one was able to explain my obsessions until I got the AS diagnosis.