Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mullion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2006, 3:51 pm

Don't know if this film is out yet in US (I'm in UK) but saw review on TV today (with interview with Sig Weaver) & saw few clips & didn't think the portrayal that I saw was too realistic. Don't know whether or not she is meant to portray an Autisitic with low IQ but it came across that way. Didn't help with UK interviewer discussing Autism with Weaver & he said there a few things that are common in ALL Autistics such as lack of empathy. He then mentioned in the film Weaver is told her daughter is dead by police & she says "OK" & shuts door. I think perhaps a low-functioning Autistic may react that way because perhaps they would not know how to feel or express their loss but HFA/AS?? Come on, I think we have FAR more finely tuned emotions than this gives us the credit for. Obviously cannot judge film on 2 min clip but anyone else any views on the film or seen any more of it? :?

mullion

26 Aug 2006, 12:55 pm

:( Bump

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2006, 3:59 am

I saw a review on this too, i thought she was meant to be HFA, but i could very well be wrong about this. Incidently, if someone gave me news like that my reaction might well be 'Ok' and shut the door. NOt because i didn't care but because it was be far to big a thing to take in at once and i would need time to get my head around it. Often if someone asks me a question or wants me to do something in a hurry i will say yes or no, not because thats my answer, but because i need a few seconds, hours, months etc. to think about it. On the spot descitions....i just can't do them.

I would like to see it, out of curiosity more then anything. I suspect that Sig weavers charector is maybe more obviously extreme then many people on this site apear to be....but then films and drama generally does tend to exagerate things to make a good story.