Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

Is this legitimate excercise? I personally think it is and its the way I get most of my excercise.

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2011, 11:41 pm

If your legs are up to it you should try running it helped me loads. Walking is good for endurance, so keep it up. Try brisk running to get more brain chemicals flowing though

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 12:01 am

"A boy and his dog can go walking
A boy and his dog sometimes talk to each other
A boy and a dog can be happy sitting down in the woods on a log
But a dog knows his boy can go wrong"

Walking is better than nothing at all, but running is better. I find that if I do only walking, I tend to lose average long distance running speed even if I'm still going the same distances.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 12:29 am

I don't really like running it just makes me tired...on occasion I have to though to catch the bus for instance.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 1:39 am

Of course walking is legitimate exercise ! 8O it doesn't get your heart rate up quite like running,which is why running is considered the best cardiovascular exercise,but it definitely is healthy and good for you! Low impact on your joints and bones...last week I was on a trip to LA and ended up walking two miles every day.I have always walked a lot since I was a little girl.People think I am weird to do so,but I walk to the store and get my groceries,etc,walk whenever possible.Certainly more of a European mentality than an American one. :roll:
Keep it up ! :)

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

Walking at a nice brisk pace is excellent excersise, I walk everywhere and I do mean everywhere and at the very least I walk about 6-7 k's every day from my place around the harbour and back just for the air and change of scene. Personally I think that walking is more legitimate than driving to the gym or to your favourite mountain biking playground etc.. but that is for environmental ethical reasons.

stretch those legs and enjoy a long and vital life [the one drawback in my case], peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

I like walking, but I hardly ever do it anymore.

I've never met a runner whose knees don't hurt.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 6:44 pm

Mackica wrote:
Of course walking is legitimate exercise ! 8O it doesn't get your heart rate up quite like running,which is why running is considered the best cardiovascular exercise,but it definitely is healthy and good for you! Low impact on your joints and bones...last week I was on a trip to LA and ended up walking two miles every day.I have always walked a lot since I was a little girl.People think I am weird to do so,but I walk to the store and get my groceries,etc,walk whenever possible.Certainly more of a European mentality than an American one. :roll:
Keep it up ! :)

I do not plan on getting a car anytime soon....I can take the bus for long distances and can otherwise walk. I don't think it would be safe for me to drive because traffic stresses me out and I tend to zone out/get distracted quite a bit in general.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

^ I'm in the same boat,refuse to get a car and rely on public transport.I'm lucky to live within 20 minutes of town/store,can walk there and back.You should pay more attention when walking though LOL,no seriously.Drivers are rather anti-pedestrian where I live so I have to be (sanely) aggressive.Although it has gotten better recently.But last year two pedestrians were killed,crossing crosswalks in the early morning.Some people have a sick mentality in speeding up when they someone in the crosswalk,I've witnessed it.Really frightening.So be careful! But enjoy too!

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

My husband and I have walked for sixty minutes every day for over seven months, and since we began doing that, our cholesterol levels and blood pressure have dropped considerably. Walking is definitely good exercise, is low impact exercise, and builds bone density and improves cardiovascular health. We are moving to Israel next year and look forward to not having to rely on a car anymore so we can get more exercise in our daily lives. Get good, supportive shoes!

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2012, 1:52 pm

I love walking! I try to do a 2-4 mile high speed walk everyday while getting motivated by my favorite music. I'm losing weight and love the high! :D

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 3:37 pm

I do enjoy walking however prefer it on a brisk pace rather then a slow pace.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 10:42 pm

Walking is better than nothing. If you are just trying to stay in okay shape and are doing so to maintain general well being, then walking is a decent choice. Going hiking or walking long periods can be a really good work out too.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 11:43 pm

It definitely "counts".

to his Interest."

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 12:22 am

Walking is a good way to exercise.

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2012, 12:29 am

Walking is a cardiovascular exercise--and a good one. It won't make you buff, but it will keep you healthy as far as exercise goes. I also enjoy walking best. I dislike running because of the bouncing (IDK why, OK?).
You can make your walk more intense by walking up stairs or hills as well as on even ground. You can also supplement your cardio with a little bit of weight lifting, pushups, and crunches.