Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fragmented
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2011, 5:19 am

So. Yeah. Wow, it's actually pretty rare that I'm flummoxed as to where to begin when posting online, but then again I've never actually found a site that had people who were like me, and not just had similar interests, so there's that.

I was diagnosed as having Aspergers when I was 5 (so 1997, or as I call it, the dark ages), but being that I lived in an area where being different was hidden from the public(seriously, my elementary school refused to let anyone discuss autism), and I got, to be blunt, shafted. As such, whenever I heard about it I was told it wasn't really a big deal, and that I should just try and do my best. As such, I went the narcissistic, "there's nothing wrong with me" route of coping.

I couldn't understand why people were the way they were, why people always asked me what I was smoking(I tend to philosophize and extrapolate in, apparently, a non-normal way), etc, etc, all the same stuff you've probably heard a majillion times.

I was told again and again over the years that I was in fact AS, but it wasn't too severe and not too worry about it, just do your best. Yeah, school was hell, and the teachers all gave me the same "he's smart so his failure is because he's lazy, and if he's not going to work at it, screw 'em." So yeah, school remained hellish and I sank deeper and deeper into depression and failing.

So now it's present day, and I'm going to comm. college and working as a baker, and I was self medicating, and I was bored and pondering Aspergers, so I went and got Luke Jackson's book, along with a Tony Attwood book, and as I'd already read Attwood, I gave Luke a look.

I start reading, and I keep getting those "Oh" moments where I'm like, ooooh, I do that too! So that's why I do this, so that's why, etc, etc. It finally clicked. The symptoms I'd always read gave poor examples of AS, and I never felt like I could relate to it, so I figured my parents and such were misinformed. Once I got better examples(and partially due to self medication which made me more aware of myself), it finally clicked with me, and I was soooooooo happy to finally understand!

Finally, the things that I did made sense! Everything clicked and I understood, and it was really an eye opening experience in general.

So yeah, I'm really happy that there is a place in this weird world for me. :)

Diagnosis: AS/ADD/NVLD (AS and ADD are offical, but NVLD isn't, that's just my own personal suspicion.)

Also, sorry for this long post, though I suspect it's commonplace here, but eh. So that's me. Thanks for having me! :D

Edit: And my special interest is Aspergers, so there's that as well.

Aspie Score: 170 of 200
NT Score: 37 of 200

Last edited by Fragmented on 26 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 5:39 am

Hello!

'Know thyself'

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 6:22 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet, Fragmented!

Sorry that school was hellish, it was for me too, but in a different way.
Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 7:50 am

Welcome!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

a. Knowledge is Power
b. Power Corrupts
:: Knowledge Corrupts

a. Knowledge is Power
b. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
:: Omniscience Corrupts Absolutely

a. Omniscience Corrupts Absolutely
b. God is Omniscient
:: God is ...

8O

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fragmented
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
a. Knowledge is Power
b. Power Corrupts
:: Knowledge Corrupts

a. Knowledge is Power
b. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
:: Omniscience Corrupts Absolutely

a. Omniscience Corrupts Absolutely
b. God is Omniscient
:: God is ...

8O

Well that explains a lot.

But no, I just meant that knowing I have AS meant I could be more in control/have more power in my own life. But I like what you did with it though!

And thank you to the others who said welcome! :D

Aspie Score: 170 of 200
NT Score: 37 of 200

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

AspieBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2011, 3:58 am

If knowledge is power, why do geniuses still have to pay for electricity? Also, does anybody happen to know how, if at all, one could change their nickname?

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 6:21 am

AspieBrain wrote:
Also, does anybody happen to know how, if at all, one could change their nickname?

If you mean your username, I don't think that's possible, unfortunately...