Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

mesona wrote:
Philologos wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Maybe you can tell him you've already blasphemed against the Holy Spirit and he can give up trying to save you. That's supposed to be unforgiveable. I have no idea how you do it, so let's hope he doesn't ask for clarification...

Assuming all this to be true - which would be hard to believe if I had not met at least one pastoral type almost sat this level - he almost has to be "non-denominational" which means he is priest and bishop and pope, and he is not going to pay attention to something just because it is scriptural.

Why would I lie about this? I am looking into a curt order to keep him away.

Not in the least saying you lie - "Assuming all this to be true". Saying that this level of jerkheit goes well above the norm.

I have known personally two cases of "Christian" clergy who were - let us say - pretty seriously jerky. Neither quite this bad, Maybe if you put them together.

Good luck with the court order.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 9:34 pm

I'm with Philo on this one. I'm curious about the specific denomination, also. That almost sounds like something out of a cult, because people that come across that way typically seem really dangerous.

What the Bible instructs is for believers to share their faith with unbelievers and lead others to Christ. No human being can possibly save another soul--only God can do that through grace. All we can possibly do is help point others in that direction, try our best to persuade, and help those who do believe.

We are called to have an answer for those who do not believe and for those who question what we believe. The Bible instructs us to do this with gentleness and respect. Clearly what has happened to you is NOT Christ-like behavior.

I am very sorry this has happened to you. While I do, of course, hope you may consider becoming a Christian if you aren't already, please know this kind of behavior is not representative of the best of Christianity. If at all possible, stay away from this person.

As for what the Bible actually says/doesn't say: No matter what book you read, it is always possible to quote text out of order and out of context to read whatever you want it to read. Doing this, however, changes the meaning of the text--and that is wrong since the meaning is it was originally intended in the original language is lost. If you are interested, get a decent translation and read the whole thing yourself. I recommend the Holman, but there are others that will do just fine.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2011, 2:11 am

Thank you all for your posts. Angel I am sorry as well how he is acting in your religion(or who's it is) but as I told him, mormons and the four cults I was asked to join (real cults, cut off your nipples to join stuff) I believe in good for the he'll of it lol.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:47 am

Carrying a bible on one's breast pocket could stop a bullet of small caliber.

ruveyn

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:01 am

AngelRho wrote:
I'm with Philo on this one. I'm curious about the specific denomination, also. That almost sounds like something out of a cult, because people that come across that way typically seem really dangerous.

What the Bible instructs is for believers to share their faith with unbelievers and lead others to Christ. No human being can possibly save another soul--only God can do that through grace. All we can possibly do is help point others in that direction, try our best to persuade, and help those who do believe.

We are called to have an answer for those who do not believe and for those who question what we believe. The Bible instructs us to do this with gentleness and respect. Clearly what has happened to you is NOT Christ-like behavior.

I am very sorry this has happened to you. While I do, of course, hope you may consider becoming a Christian if you aren't already, please know this kind of behavior is not representative of the best of Christianity. If at all possible, stay away from this person.

As for what the Bible actually says/doesn't say: No matter what book you read, it is always possible to quote text out of order and out of context to read whatever you want it to read. Doing this, however, changes the meaning of the text--and that is wrong since the meaning is it was originally intended in the original language is lost. If you are interested, get a decent translation and read the whole thing yourself. I recommend the Holman, but there are others that will do just fine.

I was going to suggest the flippant response of, "First take the log out of your own eye; then you will be able to see to remove the splinter from your brother's eye", but this reply is way better. Well said.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2011, 11:28 am

He gave up it looks like, all well that started WTF.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

mesona wrote:
He gave up it looks like, all well that started WTF.

Good. If it starts again, you swill be prepared.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

Seems to me that organized religion (catholic in this case) is what your beef is, not with the bible.

Though this man might quote the bible, I think he has very little understanding of it if he is trying to tell you what to do in your own life.

He's sinning in some area of his life and for him to tell you you're sins are going to send you to hell and his are not is ridiculous.

Also sounds to me like you have not sinned at all, he is just trying to force some silly man made traditions made up by the catholics (I think?..) onto you.

Anyways, if you believe in the bible then it is very clear it is jesus not some pastor who will help decide your fate.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:53 pm

mesona wrote:
Please read the whole thing. I am not bashing relgion by one mans actions.

a few weeks ago my grandmother passed away(she was old and it was her time) the pastor/minister/ head guy(not sure what to call him) was not happy with how I acted(would not take the corss he gave me or splash holy water or cry) at the funeral so he tracked me down telling me I was "hold your pain in. and by not taking parts in her last rites I was asking for both of us to be sent to hell" I tried to tell him I am sorry but I sis not feel right taking part in religious rites I do not beleive in. He went on to tell me with out my help she would surly be in hell. He then pushed his way into my hotel room( Funeral was out of state) and saw my open harry potter book(ill skip the harrry potter=black magic rant here because I was luaghing to much) and he was getting mad. He started tossing holy water all over my room and I had to gently take im by the arm and kick him out. He came to me again to day (fly into my state) and said he was sorry and started using bible verses(not sure what # they were) about my mistakes again! he even froced a cross into my hand. at this point I was near a melt down and did the only thing that came to mind. I droped it screaming it burned me.(scared him) and forced him out. I get he is trying to save my soul or work my demons out but the guy just scares me. how to I get him to leave "this lost lamb" alone?

No matter what I say or tell him. he has some bible verse or god has the answer.

The Devil has been a constructive and destructive tool. Fully fleshed out in Christianity as most understand it, it merely means opposer or one who opposes or is against in Judaism. I think most secularized Christians are numb to the concept, though for some more conservative or evangelical types, it sometimes devolves into what you describe. It is outsourcing too much of the faults that you observe in others to an immoral super natural character instead of accepting(but not necessarily tolerating) them as they are - both their goodness and/or their crappiness.

You don't need a bible to combat this, though one does help if you are confrontational and enjoy debates or arguments. Just let him know that if some stupid rite or death ritual is the gateway to heaven, and if not practicing it during someone's funeral is an admission to hell, then he serves an immoral God, and you want nothing to do with his God. In Judaism, it is the collective Good of one's life that determines where one goes in the afterlife, and in Christianity, it is faith and accepting the lord into your heart and good acts. If you feel your grandmother passes, then there's nothing to worry about, and unless you like debating or arguing with this guy, I'd just avoid him entirely.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

If he bothers you again just tell him that you "see right through him".

That his rabid proselytizing is an obvous symptom of his own insecurity and lack of faith, and that the more he preaches at you the more obvious to you it is that he himself is crying for help!

Then offer to help him!

Might shut him up.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

Whats it good for? rolling paper. when i used to smoke and didnt have a job i used bible paper to roll my cigarettes

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:40 pm

Try changing denominations, and then tell him plainly that he was your primary inspiration for doing so. I have heard that Moravians tend to be nice. And obscenely liberal.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Tell him you don't need saving from hell, you've already invested in some teflon underpants and an eternity supply of marshmallows..

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Whats it good for? rolling paper. when i used to smoke and didnt have a job i used bible paper to roll my cigarettes

Not all Bibles are printed on the special paper.

You actually trust the ingredients in the ink?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

Considering its the word of god, yes. :wink:

but in all honesty I only used the few that were blank in the front/back for rolling paper.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

richardbenson wrote:
Considering its the word of god, yes. :wink:

but in all honesty I only used the few that were blank in the front/back for rolling paper.

Probably the safest plan. The stuff they use to make paper these days is risky enough.