Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

mrj
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2011, 7:24 am

Hi all,
I have high functioning autism/low aspergers and my Grandad had Parkinsin's disease. I met someone recently who is autistic and her grandmother had parkinson's too.

I also found this website about a potential link.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1547894

If you have a link or both in your family it would be interesting to know how common this is.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 9:00 am

I'm autistic and have a family member with Parkingsons, however I don't think that's linked in my case because the Parkinsons is on my Dad's side yet the autism seems to be on my Mum's. On another note, I've heard that people with Tourettes often have a relative with Parkinsons.

mrj
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2011, 5:48 am

Cool thanks for the reply. It looks like not many people can see a link at all so thats interesting for me. I still think there could be as they apparently effect the similar parts of the brain but who knows. If anyone else has any experiences or thoughts on a link let me know.

normal2357
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2018, 9:06 pm

I have both aspergers and parkinson's and is affected e eryething in my life. I'll bet their linked1

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 10:04 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I'm autistic and have a family member with Parkingsons, however I don't think that's linked in my case because the Parkinsons is on my Dad's side yet the autism seems to be on my Mum's. On another note, I've heard that people with Tourettes often have a relative with Parkinsons.

If there is indeed a link then the ASD on your Mom's side plus the Parkinson's on your dad's side could have made it even more likely for you to have one or the other.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 1:19 am

That's cheerful!

I don't know about any link but I was just reading about how a brain treatment that is usually used for Parkinson's disease has helped a young woman with severe autism. It was based on stimulating the brain with implanted electrodes, but for the autism they targeted slightly different areas of the brain. It helped her break out of severe OCD behaviours.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 3:59 pm

Interesting.

I know this is an old thread, but Parkinson's does run in one side of my family.

Dr.Dale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2018, 4:55 pm

Some medications can cause pseudoparkinsonism.

Check the side effects of your medications. You may need to change to another medication.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 11:27 pm

^Haloperidol does it. I'm on benztropine just to counteract that Parkinsonism effect haloperidol has.

Megapodius
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2022, 12:44 am

Hi. I'm brett. There is a high incidence of ASD (level 1) and Parkinsonism. See my Subject: ASD and Aging. :)

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2022, 8:38 am

medication causes it,?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 3:14 am

I’m 61, actually diagnosed with autism back in the 1960s. There was a diagnostic entity known as Infantile Autism.

Fortunately, I’ve never had Parkinson’s symptoms.

I might have slight problems with memory, though.