Bragging about being weird, crazy, geeky...

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

I really hate when normal people do this. They brag and laugh about and crazy and quirky they are yet when they come across people who actually are weird and crazy they treat them like crap. I tell a group of people I literally am crazy and they laugh at me and tell me I'm normal. So wait...having AS means you're normal??? But being able to socialize means you're weird and crazy??? And crazy and weird is cool??? I'm sick of all of this backwardness about everything. I'm sick of people taking a group of persons that they constantly ridicule and persecute and apply it to themselves because it's a cool thing to call yourself something you're not for a good laugh. When will the hypocrisy ever end?! !

And for the record, I use to brag a little bit about having AS but I don't anymore. Nothing I say or do ever gets through to people the fact that I'm going to respond to people in unintentionally unusual ways that results in them laughing at me. I wasn't really trying to brag about myself. I was really trying to warn people about my poor socializing skills. They still ignore my warnings and laugh at me anyway. :(

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
I really hate when normal people do this.

Subjectivity, mah dear.

Anyways, I really hate when anyone does this.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

I've also noticed people doing this. I guess they do it to proclaim their own uniqueness in a group? They'll go out of their way to act "weird", but when it comes to being accepting of other "weird" people who can't help appearing "weird" in society, they'll forget about their supposed identification with that group and revert back to conformity within the herd. Some people will even compete with each other to see who can act more "weird". In the end, they are still engaging in the same old bored tired social power play/attention-seeking/arms race behavior as they would if they hadn't chosen to put on the act.

Someone once told me that someone we both knew was being "weird" as an act and that I was the actual "weird" one in the group. I was like, "OK..." I guess this was supposed to be compliment, like a certified seal of genuine "weirdness"? Apparently, imitation of "weirdness" is totally !kewl!, but acceptance and understanding of all different kinds of people are not.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

02 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but...
I think the hypocrisy can go both ways.
Those people as you describe them sound like douche bags,
but I've been brash and assuming in the opposite way.

When I reunited with some old friends from school,
I said something like, "I'm still weird and awkward."
They said, "In this clique, we're all weird and awkward."
I said, "Not like I am. I have Asperger's."
So they said, "That doesn't mean we're not weird. We're each weird in different ways and for different reasons."
And I had to admit, my tattooed, pierced, makeup-wearing, noise-music-listening friends were right.
It was wrong of me to pretend that my condition was the only qualifier of "weirdness".
My condition puts me in the category, but it doesn't give me power of exclusion.

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 3:11 am

I agree with the original poster. That stuff is just bonkers. Those people aren't really weird or crazy or unique or anything. They're just like everyone else, just louder. They should say "I'm really loud!" instead of "I'm so weird!" I say, it's all a competition to see who's the most annoying.

PS. Cool avatar, jmnixon95. Japanese is awesome! :)

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 4:05 am

I'm too 'weird' to be admitted to the social circles of people who affect weirdness.
They are attention-seekers and invariably incredibly annoying. It's conformism pretending to be individuality/quirkiness. Anyone who plays up their quirkiness irritates the hell out of me - they are effectively telling you what an interesting person they are as opposed to leaving you to form your own opinion. "I'm mad, me" translates as I'm not boring and predictable.
Give me boring any day over this kind of person.

I think they have problems forming a sufficiently individual identity. I can see their logic though as if you are too individual you can find it very hard to relate to anyone else.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2011, 5:03 am

Why shouldn't I brag about it? I am damn sure not ashmed of it (anymore). Normality is highly overrated and boring, plus lots of people brag about not being those things all the time.

nessa238 wrote:
I'm too 'weird' to be admitted to the social circles of people who affect weirdness.
They are attention-seekers and invariably incredibly annoying. It's conformism pretending to be individuality/quirkiness. Anyone who plays up their quirkiness irritates the hell out of me - they are effectively telling you what an interesting person they are as opposed to leaving you to form your own opinion. "I'm mad, me" translates as I'm not boring and predictable.

Whats wrong with playing up your quirkiness? Would you rather they didn't and try to act more normal?

I would have thought that here of all places people would be more accepting of peole who are different and not just label them attention seekers.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 5:09 am

Freak-Z wrote:
Why shouldn't I brag about it? I am damn sure not ashmed of it (anymore). Normality is highly overrated and boring, plus lots of people brag about not being those things all the time.

nessa238 wrote:

Whats wrong with playing up your quirkiness? Would you rather they didn't and try to act more normal?

I would have thought that here of all places people would be more accepting of peole who are different and not just label them attention seekers.

Why play it up at all though? If a person is quirky it will presumably be self-evident. It's not about trying to appear more normal, it's about it coming across like a forced act in order to impress people. I am accepting of difference, this thread is about the annoying factor of people calling themselves 'weird' though so I think it's giving people a platform to express themselves isn't it?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

I think they do it because they want people to know that they are individuals with their own characteristics. It's a way of saying, "I am who I am; I'm not going to change to accommodate the crowd." In the case of many NTs, they're pretty close to average, personality-wise, so it can be difficult to tell the difference between personality and traits picked up from others. This person is accentuating their "weird" traits to tell others that they are more than just the traits they have picked up from society.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

Callista wrote:
I think they do it because they want people to know that they are individuals with their own characteristics. It's a way of saying, "I am who I am; I'm not going to change to accommodate the crowd." In the case of many NTs, they're pretty close to average, personality-wise, so it can be difficult to tell the difference between personality and traits picked up from others. This person is accentuating their "weird" traits to tell others that they are more than just the traits they have picked up from society.

I agree, it's just how it's done that irritates me.

Wacky signatures at the bottom of posts are a pet hate of mine - what are they meant to achieve? Make the person reading it think 'Gosh what a wise and erudite person'? It's invariably not even their own words.

Far harder to assert individuality via the strength of your own words. No quotes, no fancy avatars just your own personality as demonstrated by your own words. Too much like hard work for most people; they want a short-cut to notoriety/attention.

In my opinion these types ae often extremely conformist just in a non-conformist way - it's all different versions of fitting in with the group, just a different group.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

It upsets me when people get popular because they're supposedly quirky and interesting but when these same people are confronted by someone like me they've suddenly had enough of weirdness.

They like quirky like Pheobe in friends, not quirky like a guy who draws on his own face to draw attention away from his hair.

But there have been times in my life where I was acting just NT enough that was popular quirky and considered very funny, or sometimes that comes naturally to me.

Last edited by Phonic on 03 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Wacky signatures at the bottom of posts are a pet hate of mine - what are they meant to achieve? Make the person reading it think 'Gosh what a wise and erudite person'? It's invariably not even their own words.

Far harder to assert individuality via the strength of your own words. No quotes, no fancy avatars just your own personality as demonstrated by your own words. Too much like hard work for most people; they want a short-cut to notoriety/attention.

In my opinion these types ae often extremely conformist just in a non-conformist way - it's all different versions of fitting in with the group, just a different group.

For what its worth, most of my sigs including the current one are my own words, my avatar is a salute to my favorite rock band Travis.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:
I really hate when normal people do this.

Subjectivity, mah dear.

Anyways, I really hate when anyone does this.

Me too, ugh..

Freak-Z: "Whats wrong with playing up your quirkiness? Would you rather they didn't and try to act more normal?"

You could just, you know, act like yourself without spewing to everyone how "random" and "different" you are. Doesn't mean you have to act normal.

If you're proud of it, that's fine, but you can let people notice it on their own. You can be proud of your tits, too, but you don't have to wear tiny shirts and jump around in people's faces with them.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Freak-Z wrote:

nessa238 wrote:

Why play it up at all though? If a person is quirky it will presumably be self-evident. It's not about trying to appear more normal, it's about it coming across like a forced act in order to impress people. I am accepting of difference, this thread is about the annoying factor of people calling themselves 'weird' though so I think it's giving people a platform to express themselves isn't it?

Why not? I like to play it up sometimes, it's just a bit of fun, and how are you suppossed to tell whether or not someone is faking it? just because they may come across as forcing it doesn't mean they are. Perhaps they genuinely just being themselves.