Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:12 am

Good day to all parents here...

This is the story I have to tell, out of experience of one of my AS friends. Here it follows:

--- --- ---

I cannot seem to overcome my own issues. I really follow and abide everything by the book. I have zero flexibility.

When something is broken, and everything in the book is adhered too, I wasn't able to think out of the box.

Today is really bad. The bread machine spoilt. I read the manual. I wasn't being able to fix the bread machine. So I called to remove the machine...

But Mom, having the ability to re-tool things, just seemed to miraculously fix everything. I can't. I feel bad.

How can I think more creatively?

--- --- ---

Sigh, how can I help my friend?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:25 am

Your friend needs to understand that if something breaks, and none of the solutions afforded by the manual help, then the solution must not be in the manual, or he misunderstood the manual.

If the solution is not in the manual and he can't find the solution on his own, he must ask for help.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Jul 2011, 1:43 am

Well I happen to be an artist, so maybe I can help answer that question

if you wanna know how to fix things you first have to know how it works in order to understand why it is broken. Every mechanic I ever knew had a facination of how things worked as a child and would take things apart that are curently working to figure out how it works...but in the early stages would fix things that did work and render them useless after being "fixed"
My brother is very good at fixing things, but when he was a kid he broke more than he fixed. My dad said he had "minus the midias touch" but as he got older he became a good mechanic.
As for the breadmaker, buy a used but working breadmaker at goodwill and take it appart study its components and figure out how it works, put it back together in the reverse order you took it apart. example if you have 3 parts part A part B part C and have been removed in the order, then put them back on in this order Part C Part B Part A.

a good rule of thumb when it comes to taking something appart and putting it together is "lefty-loosey and righty-tighty" can get you really far in life.
chances are that breadmaker from goodwill may not work after your friend takes it appart and puts it together, but thats ok, it is part of the process of learning how things work. Also read books on how things work, study basics of electricity,
Knowing how to fix things is not something one is endowed with...it is a path laid with many broken things before you understand how things work.

As far as creativity in general goes...creativity comes when you stop judging yourself and see a problem or a project as a game. the great artists of the world are like little kids with a box of crayons. I recomend reading the book, The artist's way by Julia cameron as to how to unblock creativity. It is a realllly good book and has made me so much more creative as a result. It is a work book with 12 week program in it.

anymore questions feel free to ask

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:27 am

Thank you. My friend's mom is rather pleased with the responses y'all gave.