Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 11:58 pm

I know this has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find the topic or remember what was said in it.
Anyway, I was wondering how many of you have gotten depression from taking the pill? I've only recently started taking it and I've found myself feeling somewhat depressed - but am unsure if it is because of the pill or because of other events which have taken place recently which could have also led to depression. Just wondering what your experience has been with it - is it more likely to be the pill causing this bout of depression or just the "normal" depression I go through every now and then? And if it were to be the pill have you found that the depression got better with time or was constant whilst you were on it?

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 12:39 am

Depression can definately be a side effect...more so if you are on a combination birth control pill (estrogen and progestin)... than a "mini-pill" (progestin only).

I was on a low dose combination pill for years with no problems...but when a new doctor placed me on a higher dosage pill I remember one month of pure he$$ until I finally connected it with the new prescription and stopped taking it. 8O

I think for many it just takes time to adjust...but some people seem to be more sensitive to medications...I fall in that later group alot for some strange reason. :?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 2:20 am

I went on a high combination dose (1980)I dont even think they make it any more but I was very depressed and never made the connection (nor did the joke of a psychiotrist ...he finnally lost his licence for molesting a client..so he wont be "over-looking"the obvious anymore)...I think I was on OrthaNovum135?....anyway...hormones DO effect depression and if it continues I would try a different one...

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 2:59 am

i had a gf on the pill once and she turned in to a real beatch....i mean a hard core beatch, so she stopped and returened to a moody cow.
i dont see her anymore.....often wondered why.....sigh

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 3:56 am

I had depression that was caused by the first set of birth control pills I took, but when my doctor switched brands, the depression went away, and I still take those today.

stars
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2006, 6:17 am

I tried pills twice and had horrible crying spells because of them. I often wonder if the crying was caused by life circumstances at the time, but I really think it was because of the pills. When I was breastfeeding my son my doctor put me on a one-hormone pill that didnt cause any problems. I hate the thought of putting chemicals in my body, but if I want to go on the pill again I will take those.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 8:48 am

Ahh yes.. I have had some pretty major side effects before when I was on a higher dosage pill, but I'm currently on the lowest dosage one possible - and it's had none of the other side effects that I previously experienced. I suppose I need to wait a bit longer and see.. But I have been breaking down very easily lately in terms of crying and general depression. Ah if only I knew!

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Aug 2006, 5:07 pm

I took the pill over a 10 year period with only one 9 month break.

It am certain it was a contributor to my depression. I was taking it for PMS, which did make the PMS easier to manage, however it seemed to add a low level depression effect. The last one I was on is called Levlen here, prior to that I was initially on Nordette, and then another one, before the brand name changed to Levlen.

I also had something wrong with my legs from it - to do with the veins in my legs, I can't remember how to describe that. I am also certain it made me slowly gain weight.

However when I was on Aropax/Paxil, when I took the break, I was happier, but gained 10kgs!

It has taken time for it to be recognised in Australia, the media jumped on it last year and it made the headlines. Before that I went to my Dr and they said no, the pill doesn't do that, blah blah blah. Now it is recognised that it does.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 5:12 pm

did this 9month break end with a new born baby?

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Aug 2006, 5:14 pm

no, I can see why you came to that conclusion ROFL. It would have been bad timing, at the moment the government is paying "baby bonuses" here to women - something like $5000!!

tefting
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2006, 12:05 pm

I think if you use a transdermal method, like the patch, the estrogen doesn't turn into the form that increases cortical. In other words, I suggest a transdermal method.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 9:53 pm

I was on the pill for a few weeks and had to stop because I became depressed to the point of feeling suicidal.

But- Nuvaring was a different story, and did not have that effect on me. It gives a lower, steadier dose.