Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

I want to write a story about my disabilities... but I'm not really sure where to start. I mean I kind of need some starting points and what would be a good thing to talk about. I don't want to talk about how they affect people in general but how they always affect me... but the hardest part is having multiple disabilities... or comorbid disabilities with Asperger Syndrome.

I've always dealt so much with people only seeing the Asperger Syndrome and not the other things that I have. It causes a lot of misunderstanding and I want to write a novel about how it bothers me... how it makes things worse for me. I mean people see the asperger syndrome... but they never see the ADHD, severe anxiety, developmental/learning delays and the possible APD that I have.

If there were people that actually understood, would it make a difference in the world? Would it help some of those out there know that what I went through isn't just a lie? I just need to know where to start or even how to start... I've always tried to write about my disabilities and I've always failed because I've never known where to start.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2011, 5:25 pm

tMy therapist is always telling me to write about my experiences; she thinks that it would help others going through the same sorts of things.

Don't worry about where you start. What you need to do first is to write what you're experiencing and feeling on paper. Keep them in a notebook or journal so they will be all together. You might even want to use a binder so that if you think of something to write you can add it to what you have. After you have a good bit of material you can go back over it, maybe with someone you trust, and decide what should or shouldn't go in your book and in what order.

Then you can decide if you want to write it into a novel or as memoirs or whatever form inspires you or feels right.

If you blog, you can put your pieces online and maybe get feedback. I've known more than one person who has drawn the attention of fellow writers who are willing to help and even publishers.

Good luck with the writing!

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

What if you wrote a story about a kid with two conditions and only one diagnosed, and people keep trying to interpret all the kid's issues in light of the diagnosed condition, and it's not working for the stuff caused by the other condition. Then finally someone figures out what's going on.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:56 pm

Ettina wrote:
What if you wrote a story about a kid with two conditions and only one diagnosed, and people keep trying to interpret all the kid's issues in light of the diagnosed condition, and it's not working for the stuff caused by the other condition. Then finally someone figures out what's going on.

Well, my story is sort of like that. I was diagnosed with ADHD and a learning disability in second grade... but I still had trouble with learning, social interaction, sensory issues and emotional expression... so they didn't diagnose me with Asperger Syndrome/High functioning autism until I was between nine and thirteen. I guess maybe I could work from that... but the conditions could be different for my character in second grade.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive