French Muslim proves that the west discovered nothing

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:29 pm

and that Islam is superior to the west even scientifically.

Yeah, that's right.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 11,00.html

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

I am confused.

It is just a group of people who are not properly educated about evolution and are pressured to not look any further based on their religion. How does that prove the west discovered nothing? Personally, I cannot take anyone who fails to understand how the world works seriously.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

Islam is a sham, Mohammed was a fake, and Sharia law is a misogynistic and racist system of oppression.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

Quote:
"If fish left the water to walk, if dinosaurs were transformed into birds, then we should discover fossils of these beings in transition. However this is not the case."

Ironic considering we do have fossils of such transitional species.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm

whether or not he is right or not... it doesn't matter who discovered what. We got a great many innovations from China, but you saw it ride the roller coaster of success and failure throughout its long history from first-steps for mankind to impoverished, oppressed, and starving. That most of the Arab world and much of the east stalled whereas the West advanced pays proof to this: success can come from anywhere and from anyone. What matters is who maintains, builds on it, and passes it on to the next generation the best. progress doesn't pass on through by osmosis as there is very little differing Hitler from an ancient semite 10,000 years ago as our behavior allows for progress but is not inherently progressive - we have not evolved much in that regard, progress (and the values/ethics that made it possible) must be inculcated and passed onto every following generation.

That was one powerful point that rang true for me during this interesting interivew - that most youth who come up today and see this world we have constructed think that it can go on autopilot, free of the values, ethics, and understanding that help build it
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11573

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:43 am

Im curious to hear just what significant advances Muslims or Islamic nations in general have brought about these past 1500 years.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

Dantac wrote:
Im curious to hear just what significant advances Muslims or Islamic nations in general have brought about these past 1500 years.

Algebra and Optics. Next question.

Most contributions Muslim scholars made were made prior to 1300 in our calender which is about the time when Islam went Dark.

ruveyn

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

I guess archeopteryx fossils must be well kept, too bad, I won't get the 7 millions $...

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

Actually, as I understand it, it's generally India that's credited with discovering nothing - and a very important thing it was, too; without the concept of 0, the null set, most of modern mathematics would be impossible.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

Interesting that he's a Turk. Ive read that Turkey is a hotbed of Islamic creationism.

And like many creationists, he's stuck in the 1920s with his talk of fossils and bones. Genetic evidence is something they just don't want to deal with because they can't. We have the Neanderthal genome and that of another archaic human type. They were not us.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

I've heard Islam actually took credit for a lot of inventions that were invented in Muslim countries BEFORE they converted.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 6:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Dantac wrote:

Most contributions Muslim scholars made were made prior to 1300 in our calender which is about the time when Islam went Dark.

ruveyn

The west also went dark. I wonder if 'Slam places will quit their dark age eventually.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Dantac wrote:

ruveyn

The west also went dark. I wonder if 'Slam places will quit their dark age eventually.

Islam went dark just about the time of the Renaissance. The West was making a comeback. Ironically it was the work of the Muslim scholars that made the material the Renaissance used available in the West.

ruveyn

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Dantac wrote:

ruveyn

Islam went dark just about the time of the Renaissance. The West was making a comeback. Ironically it was the work of the Muslim scholars that made the material the Renaissance used available in the West.

ruveyn

Not to mention the Greek texts preserved by Muslims, which have been studies feverously since in the West. The contribution that Muslim Scholars made to knowledge during that period is undeniable, but Islam can't really said to have been the cause of their discoveries; at best, it was their inspiration.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

Sounds like an easy $7 million...

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:58 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Sounds like an easy $7 million...

How do you intend to convince him that it's indeed a transitional fossil? Sound quite a challenge.