Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bill43
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

I was told this was a good place for Aspie's. Since I have gotten here, I have encountered:
1) Rudeness
2) Narrow-mindedness
and 3) Blaming me for my condition.

I can't believe that this is an Autism Forum. What a huge disappointment. I will go to other discussion boards.

No thank you.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

Cool story, bro. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

07 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

Alright, bye-bye.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

I don't expect the original poster to read this. But I'll say anyway, on a board for people with autism (including Aspergers), a certain amount of rudeness and narrowmindedness should be expected.

Although, I don't think people here are really more rude, nor more narrowminded, than in the average internet community.

When you've got a bunch of people who aren't skilled at understanding others and you put them all together, rudeness is going to happen sometimes, even if not intentionally.

Silas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm

Bill: you need to get that anger under control before it consumes you

When I was younger, especially in my teens and 20s, I liked being despondant and miserable. I dressed in dark clothes, listend to dark music, and pulled the whole tortured-scholar/artist thing. I assumed no one understood me and that the world was a really awful place. When I did date, I dated women who were even worse than me with this stuff, and that got me nothing but more problems and misery.

Then I grew up around age 28, or at least started to. Met a nice women, got married and had kids.

The kids are my primary responsibility now, and they don't need Robert Smith from the Cure as a dad. They don't need some self-centered, immature rocker dude as a father. They need a positive, happy role-model. Both my kids are on the spectrum and it runs on both sides of our family--these kids are going to need help with socializing, and I'm not about to give them bad examples (I had all sorts of problems when I was a kid).

It is easy to fold up inside yourself and go down depression road when you have few responsibilities or projects. It is also easy to start blaming the whole world for your problems.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 4:28 pm

Mysty wrote:
I don't expect the original poster to read this. But I'll say anyway, on a board for people with autism (including Aspergers), a certain amount of rudeness and narrowmindedness should be expected.

Although, I don't think people here are really more rude, nor more narrowminded, than in the average internet community.

When you've got a bunch of people who aren't skilled at understanding others and you put them all together, rudeness is going to happen sometimes, even if not intentionally.

THIS!!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

We can do without the negativity. Like I don't have enough of it in my life.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

What always confuses me is members' need to post that they are leaving. Why not just disappear? This is my first post after a long hiatus. I took it because Wrongplanet does have incivility problems. No one had been harsh with me, but the climate of the board was getting on my nerves. Why make bold pronouncements? If you stop liking it, stop loging in.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

I actually thought this was an interesting post, because I love to imagine which expression he had on his face while posting it. But hey I know that a lot of people think thats mean, but it really isnt, I love it! I want a pic! Getting caught up is always looking perfect :lol: Bill43 I love you!

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

Silas wrote:
Bill: you need to get that anger under control before it consumes you

When I was younger, especially in my teens and 20s, I liked being despondant and miserable. I dressed in dark clothes, listend to dark music, and pulled the whole tortured-scholar/artist thing. I assumed no one understood me and that the world was a really awful place. When I did date, I dated women who were even worse than me with this stuff, and that got me nothing but more problems and misery.

Then I grew up around age 28, or at least started to. Met a nice women, got married and had kids.

The kids are my primary responsibility now, and they don't need Robert Smith from the Cure as a dad. They don't need some self-centered, immature rocker dude as a father. They need a positive, happy role-model. Both my kids are on the spectrum and it runs on both sides of our family--these kids are going to need help with socializing, and I'm not about to give them bad examples (I had all sorts of problems when I was a kid).

It is easy to fold up inside yourself and go down depression road when you have few responsibilities or projects. It is also easy to start blaming the whole world for your problems.

I dunno, I wish my dad was bit more rock and roll, sometimes. I know men in their 70s who are cooler. Grandfathers are usually cooler than dads though and uncles take the cool cake.

Positive and happy is a good thing to be. Dark clothes and dark music are good, too 8) My aim is to combine both.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 07 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

Moving to... Haven from GAD

Last edited by Moog on 07 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

You guys make me sick! You are bad people!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 5:28 pm

Bill43 wrote:
I was told this was a good place for Aspie's. Since I have gotten here, I have encountered:
1) Rudeness
2) Narrow-mindedness

I can't believe that this is an Autism Forum. What a huge disappointment. I will go to other discussion boards.

No thank you.

I saw in your other posts you are against political correctness but yet in your OP you complain about rudeness? Well isn't not doing that being politically correct? So if the members did here what you say they did, you can't complain about political correctness then because then you get upset when people aren't politically correct. And since you are for the truth, don't even get upset with what people say since it's the truth also, you just didn't like what they said so trying to silence them is trying to put political correctness on them. Plus I saw no rudeness from other users when I read through your posts. Plus you say you want people to treat you with respect but isn't that also political correctness? So you see everyone is PC, those who are not are just rude and mean and nasty people and say anything and not care if it hurts. Me not mentioning this would also be politically correct.

To respond in a none PC way:

Bye.

To respond in a PC way:

No offense but making these good bye threads are unnecessary. If you want to leave a forum, just leave without making a thread about it.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

Bill43 wrote:
1) Rudeness
2) Narrow-mindedness

No thank you.

But... but...

Not everyone is a meanie. I'm not. :)

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2011, 7:11 pm

Some (sometimes, A LOT) of what one encounters is directly related to what one is looking for. Frankly, I've found that WP has provided the most when it comes to receiving encouragement from others, demonstrating pro-active practice and improvement of others' personal/interacting skills, and just an all-around great place to express ('vent') distresses of any kind. Not seeing more holistically what's being offered, what's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, often is a potential 'tip-off' that perceptions of the viewer have been skewed. Get your orientation right - shift your 'intake' to realizing the positivites (not just the negativities) - and you'll see: WP can be an absolute banquet for anyone!

I'm assuming one would post an 'I'm Leaving' to, among other possible reasons, see if others would try convincing them to not leave. Consider this my 'call' to you. Stay around - even if, at first, it's just to argue. WP can definitely be a place where you could grow (especially when you're mature enough to let others do their growing, as well). Simply cutting off (and announcing it) hurts you much worse than it could affect us ---because the true damage you're causing is closing the door on opportunity FOR YOU.

We'll still be here...and, yes, some of us will still 'talk' to you.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

Bill43 wrote:
1) Rudeness
2) Narrow-mindedness

No thank you.

I'm sorry you feel this way about the board. There will be a mix of opinions expressed on any discussion board; not everybody will agree with your point of view, there will be criticism, incorrect advice, etc.

As a recently self diagnosed Aspie, I have found this board very helpful in helping me understand myself and in making me realise I am not alone and I am very grateful for the support offered by several posters.

Your issues are very real to you. At least some of the responses (hopefully the majority) that you receive will be given with good intention. It is up to you to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Perhaps you do not want to hear some good advice. If many posters are giving similar advice, perhaps you have some painful lessons for you to learn and come to terms with.

Best wishes regardless of whether you stay or leave the board.