trivial and kind of stupid question for the guys ...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I think men are too used to see women with long hair, that's why. A long hair would also incite the "caressing" instinct in men as well.

that may be true, I am used to short hair since my mom has always had short hair.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

b9 wrote:
i could not care less how long a girls hair is. i was only(?) thinking the other day about how, as a species of animal, humans are very strange in the respect that if humans do not cut their head hair, it will grow to a length that seriously hinders their survivability.

no other animal has such a wildly unattenuated growth of an aspect of their physical existence as human head hair. it keeps growing for the duration of a person's life(no matter how long), and there seems to be no biological mechanism that attenuates the length of head hair once it becomes burdensome to the owner.

only intelligence can save the life of an animal who's head hair grows to ridiculous lengths (and weights) if not intercepted with a cutting mechanism.

the same can be said for fingernails (except for the weight factor, and inclusive of the manipulation deficiency factor).

i've thought about this as well, and you are partially correct. however, most people's hair does have a "set point" - the follicle rests and goes dormant after a certain number of years and the hair falls out. on average this is around 3 years, so most people's hair will not grow too terribly long before it falls out. it looks weird on humans because our body hair is patchy so we don't have a uniform coat, but the length of our head hair doesn't get too unmanageable in most cases.

notably, nails do not, in fact, need trimming if a person does an adequate amount of manual labour - the nails wear down naturally.

EDIT: i have shaved my hair to 1/4" long, and also worn it as long as i could manage (midback). haven't noticed whethe i get more attention with it one way or the other.