Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:25 am

I have a cute dog that's part terrier and part poodle named Chico. I'll post a picture later when I have time. :O)

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:25 am

I was considering getting some ferrets to look after, then one of my neighbours left the country and I took over responsibility for his two cats. I find them adorable, but I do struggle with the mess they create. I have great difficulty cleaning up their vomitus, I have to hold my breath, and try to look at the matter out of the corner of my eye to avoid retching and being sick. One of them occasionally presents me with dead, or nearly dead animals sometimes, which I find distressing. The other cat is quite sickly, and any time she does not want to eat her food, I tend to get panicked and worry that she is dying. Overall I think they have a very positive influence on me.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 9:20 am

I have two rabbits: Jenifer who is an 8 year old black and white Dutch and Ralph who is a (nearly) 2 year old black and white lionhead/Dutch cross. Interesting fact about Ralph... he has no teeth... Well the front ones anyway!

I would like to adopt some spiny mice from the animal shelter where I work in the future. They are not cuddly animals but they are fun to watch!

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

Australien wrote:
I may be the odd one out, but I can't imagine ever having a pet. I can barely stand dealing with the mess I make myself, cleaning up after a pet, and its general unpredictability would drive me insane. Besides which, I just don't understand the appeal. It seems like a whole lot of work for a payoff I can't see or comprehend.

I also don't see how I could have a pet in my apartment. It would be too much trouble to me. Apart from it, I like pets. I had hamsters, finches and fishes as a kid. My sister is fond of dogs, she had two dogs. Currently my parents have a small outdoor dog, I like him very much. He resembles a miniature collie, with the briskness of 10 full-sized one. I like to pet him, play with him, even cuddle him sometimes.

I somehow fear cats a little, but have mostly outgrown it.

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

I'm desperate to get a cat or two... I've had pets since I was quite young and I absolutely love animals, but circumstances in my life at the moment won't let me have any and I'm trying hard to be patient and not be impulsive. I can't wait to be a moggie mum :oops:

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

My family has always had dogs and I am a dog lover too. My favorite was a goofy St. Bernard my family had during my college days who would always try to mount (physically and sexually) my cousin, giving both of us a barrel of laughs (male dog and male cousin). I want to get a dog of my own someday when I get out of this apartment and into a house (a dog deserves space to run), probably a Beagle, but may want to wait because dogs can present a big distraction at times. For the unqualified and non-judgmental love they offer, dogs are unmatched though.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

TTRSage wrote:
My family has always had dogs and I am a dog lover too. My favorite was a goofy St. Bernard my family had during my college days who would always try to mount (physically and sexually) my cousin, giving both of us a barrel of laughs (male dog and male cousin). I want to get a dog of my own someday when I get out of this apartment and into a house (a dog deserves space to run), probably a Beagle, but may want to wait because dogs can present a big distraction at times. For the unqualified and non-judgmental love they offer, dogs are unmatched though.

Oh, I didn't mention I love dogs best for the same reason. When I'll have the opportunity I'll be the master of Terriers and at least one Irish wolfhound.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

Two cats, a small calico and an extremely fat black and white shorthair.
A mutt that suspiciously looks like a chocolate lab. Loves garbage.
A huge tank of fish that barely get fed.
:roll:

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

I have a 13 1/2 year old cat, my best friend, and I'm getting a service dog within the next year :)

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

My boyfriend has two whippets, and I have one cocker spaniel.

The female, Christina, is now 17 years old, and knows that she is the Grand Duchess. "Spoiled" doesn't even begin to describe it! Unfortunately, while her body is holding up quite well for her age, she's starting to slide into senility. :( Kinda funny to watch her reaction to the "new" things she sees in the yard and house, though!

The male, Versace, is 14. He's, well, a dog. Chaser of stuff in the yard, slayer of rabbits and opossums, pretends to not like being petted or fussed over. :lol: He ran into a car one time when he got loose. The car was simply driving down the road (in a 40 mph zone), didn't know he was even there. He PASSED the car and tried to cut across in front of it, but wasn't quite far enough (thank God), so he ran into the front fender. 8O So, yeah. Fast, but not real smart.

Freckles is my baby. He's about 12 or so, and is the last of the ~600 (yes, six hundred) cockers that went through my home when I was active in rescue. When I got him, he was so fear aggressive and undersocialized that I was convinced that I'd have to put him down. After a year, he had changed so much that people with years of experience working with dogs were calling me "the Dog Whisperer" - and this was long before Cesar Milano had a show! Now, 10 years down the road, he's a friendly teddy bear, and rolls over for a bellyrub for anyone who comes within 10 feet. I will cry copiously when he, eventually, goes to The Bridge. :cry:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

3 cats.

Katiebun2281
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

I have a 5 1/2 year old holland lop rabbit named Sammy.

He is a wonderful rabbit and I love him a lot. He calms me down and I can't imagine my life without him.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

We always had a dog growing up. I got to play with, pet, and hug my sister's dog. She's getting very old. I now live in an apartment complex, where we can't afford to keep a pet. I see some people with their dogs, and I feel jelous that they get to hear barking, feel the gentler play biteing, toss frisbies, and pet some furr.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:46 pm

I have a rat terrier named Josie. Her feet smell like popcorn. She will be 9 years old in September.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2011, 11:01 am

Orr wrote:
I was considering getting some ferrets to look after, then one of my neighbours left the country and I took over responsibility for his two cats. I find them adorable, but I do struggle with the mess they create. I have great difficulty cleaning up their vomitus, I have to hold my breath, and try to look at the matter out of the corner of my eye to avoid retching and being sick. One of them occasionally presents me with dead, or nearly dead animals sometimes, which I find distressing. The other cat is quite sickly, and any time she does not want to eat her food, I tend to get panicked and worry that she is dying. Overall I think they have a very positive influence on me.

The cats are gorgeous :) I also have a lovely cat, who is a dark tortie a bit like the one on the left in the picture above but slightly different. She has a sweet grumpy face and a half-ginger, half-black nose :) She has one completely black paw and other patterned ginger and black paws. She sometimes reaches her black paw around the door if it's slightly open to pull it open completely so that she can get through, so you just see the black paw hooked around the door!

She is quite a fiesty little thing, and hates other cats, so it's just her at home. She's pretty spoiled too. She's very fussy and will only eat a certain type of cat food and turns her nose up at anything else.

She's around 11/12 years old now, absolutely lovely and I love her to bits. She's not particularly cuddly but is very sweet and affectionate sometimes and loves coming into my bed to purr as I stroke her, especially in the wintertime when it's cold.

All your pets look and sound lovely :)

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

We have a gorgeous 4 yr old Jack Russell Terrior mutt called Jane. She is silent, never barks unless you say, "speak". She is very bouncy and energetic and gets protective when other dogs come near me if I am on my own. She loves licking me and is always waggling her tail. She loves children and always lays on her back in front of them so they can rub her belly. I love her so much. I am not sure if I could love another dog the same so not sure if I want any other animal.