Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:06 am

I'm having trouble staying motivated for school. I love school and love learning the material but I see myself as too lazy to have a degree. I got an A on my second chem. 2 test and can see me doing the same for the next test hopefully but the time I'm going to put into it seems like something I shouldn't have. idk it just an annoyance and i'm the second one in my family to go to college but the first to pursue a degree in the sciences. I feel like my little sister and mom put me on a pedestal for that. They think im suppose to be smarter than i really am except my sister i feel like she can understand because she went through college and i feel like every mistake i make is bigger than if i weren't going to college at all, like since your in college your suppose to be the smartest and best at everything your doing but i'm not.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 9:15 am

You may be feeling pushed to succeed and drag your feet because of that.

You may just not be readsy - people have heir own pace and timing and moment of ripeness.

Think things over, do not push too hard or try to fit an uncomfortable standard. Give yourself permission to take time off.

I have seen many people get themselves to unvcomfortable places off other people's dreams or expectations, and many people who dropped out, came back once they were ready, annd did well.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

I understand how you feel. My mother also had great expectations for me, to the point I felt scared about not being good enough. But that was not true. My big sis helped me when she told me "remember, this is YOUR life". You do not need to be super smart to go to college. All you need is wanting to and having goals. Probaly you do not even have goals yet because you are too busy trying to make them proud, but start thinking on what you want, that way you will have something to fight for and will feel more motivated. Remember: this is YOUR life.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

Thanks guys, this is really helping me think this through.