Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm

I had an imaginary friend for many years when I was younger. I preferred his company to that of real people. Later on, I read that other people with AS do this, too.

Did any of you have an imaginary friend?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 10:28 pm

I currently have an imaginary friend.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

I currently imagine that certain real people are my friends ... does that count?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 10:54 pm

I never had imaginary friends in the typical sense, but I always created characters. I never interacted with them as me, though. Either I'd be one of them interacting with the others, or I'd just observe them and narrate them. Pretty naturally led into being a fantasy writer, once I had the writing skills to put these stories on paper.

By the way, imaginary frriends is described as a characteristic of Newson Syndrome, also called pathological demand avoidance. I suspect the line between that condition and regular autism is blurry, though, with many autistics having only one or two of the traits instead of the full picture.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

I had an imaginary friend from around age 12 all the way up into my early 20s. I was very isolated as a child up until my late teens. Even after that, I was not very social.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:23 pm

Ettina wrote:
I never had imaginary friends in the typical sense, but I always created characters. I never interacted with them as me, though. Either I'd be one of them interacting with the others, or I'd just observe them and narrate them. Pretty naturally led into being a fantasy writer, once I had the writing skills to put these stories on paper.

By the way, imaginary frriends is described as a characteristic of Newson Syndrome, also called pathological demand avoidance. I suspect the line between that condition and regular autism is blurry, though, with many autistics having only one or two of the traits instead of the full picture.

Same! Also this Newson Syndrome sounds interesting. I have some of that I'd say if it's possible to only have some.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm

I had never heard of Newsons Syndrome before. I only had a few of the symptoms that overlap with autism.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm

Yes I do.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:48 pm

I was thinking about this a little more just now and realized that I still have conversations with people that don't exist. I didn't think I still had an imaginary friend just because I don't have "someone" I interact with on a normal basis. But I will still say things randomly that are aimed at fictional characters... holy crap I didn't realize I was doing that...

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:59 pm

Haha ok when I was little I had one and try not to laugh at me now but my Billy Idol cd cover is my best friend! I don't rely on or trust my real friends and he makes me super happy, safe, secure and content! He has so much sentamental value and we've been through a lot together in the past few years! He was with me through my diagnosis of Aspergers and he's very special to me! I'm not crazy because I know it isn't the real Billy Idol just a pic! But I make up stories, songs and jokes with him! It's fun! I do this when I'm alone with the CD.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 12:10 am

Hm yes, but most I don't even see anymore, because they're off doing other things nowadays, and while not as often as when I was kid, yes I do, sometimes.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2011, 2:16 am

Ettina wrote:

hm that's interesting. i kinda do that. except i act them out.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 3:45 am

Never had an imaginary friend...
- I wished I had friends at certain times
- I imagined people were my friend
- and I imagined I was somebody else...

but no imaginary friends

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2011, 3:54 am

I've actually had a few imaginary friends over time. It's interesting because one of my friends tells me she had an imaginary friend but not quite to the extent I did, and another tells me she didn't. The first has one sister, the second lives in a huge family and has three sisters, and I'm an only child. I think it's partly related to how lonely you are/ how many people are around you as well, and maybe also AS.

I had imaginary friends who I would talk to quietly when I was alone or who I would talk to in my mind. Sometimes I would just close my eyes and lie back and imagine them. Sometimes I would sit there and observe them as I imagined them doing things. Sometimes I would dream and write about them. I have to admit that I did at one point have an imaginary boyfriend too!

This is strange but has anybody ever had a "bad" imaginary friend? At one point I kind of directed my bad thoughts into creating one. In my diary I would write "-insertname- says that I'm a failure, I should just be dead" and also I created one for "rational thought". The worst I suppose was when I went through a time when I was incredibly suicidal and trying to fight against it but struggling a lot- "suicidal thoughts" in my diary I wrote about as a person. "You are worthless, you can never live, just go and buy the pills...etc." Don't worry, I was completely aware that these were imaginary people- not so much friends though. I think that by personifying these thoughts, though, I probably made it even harder for myself to get rid of them. Honestly it's a bit scary how my imagination runs away with me. Has anybody else ever done something like this?

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

ForestRose,

I have done all of the things you described, even with the "bad" imaginary friend. I think it's because I had negative feelings I wanted to direct at someone. I'm often too timid to be mean to people in real life and/or pick a fight (verbally).

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

I had 4 imaginary friends when i was little, the were tiny people who lived in the bathroom!