Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 9:35 am

I still love the British comedy and American action shows (A-Team, etc) I grew up with in the late 70s/80s. I'm buying all the DVD box sets now. :)

And I honestly don't think there's been any TV show on for ten years now that I would be *really* upset if I missed.

glavin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2006, 8:06 pm

TV is going the way of the radio: loosing audiences to the new hip media (in the modern day case, the internet and Video On Demand) on the path to genericness. That said, I still try to catch The Daily Show, Naruto, and some Adult Swim programming (although those are available legally online).

wildthing121675
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2006, 1:03 am

When I was growing up, I had TV shows like Dukes of Hazzard, and CHiPs to look forward to, and I was obsessed about both, now, we have all this reality s**t, and I cannot stand it.

I have given up on TV. 24 sucks, Lost is ok, but hard as hell to follow and understand, Prison Break is too weird for me, House is ok, but I miss that cause of work.

I hate TV today. Reality TV sucks, and I cannot stand those shows. I have better things to do with my time, I would rather watch my baseball games I have on videocassete, or my MASH boxed sets, or my Dallas sets, or even my Dukes of Hazzard sets, and my prized CHiPs videocassetes.

Only TV I watch nowadays is Family Guy, Simpsons, and whatever catches my eye, and believe me it ain't much. Only new show I am excited about is Jericho, cause I am obsessed with WWIII or post-apocalyptic stuff. I hate TV these days, it sucks, really sucks.

WildThing121675

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 4:10 am

wildthing121675 wrote:
I hate TV today. Reality TV sucks, and I cannot stand those shows. I have better things to do with my time, I would rather watch my baseball games I have on videocassete, or my MASH boxed sets, or my Dallas sets, or even my Dukes of Hazzard sets, and my prized CHiPs videocassetes.

Dukes of Hazzard is my favorite of all time. :D It was my favorite when I was eight, and I'm now thirty-two, and it still is. Whenever I feel depressed, I can play a couple of eps, and it's guaranteed to make me smile. I'll never lose my love for this show.

And I usually loathe soaps, but I was addicted to Dallas.

An online friend (also a possible Aspie) and I were discussing our much-loved TV the other day. We thought that possibly one of the reasons that shows like Hazzard/A-Team/etc. appealed to us is because they feature a high degree of predictability, repetition and familiarity. Is that a reason why someone with AS might like them?

wildthing121675

20 Sep 2006, 3:59 pm

I watch what is familiar with me, and I don't like to be confused, that's one of the reasons I don't much care for Lost and 24, they tend to confuse me. Shows like that confuse me and I don't like to be confused.

I guess the reason I watch Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPs, Dallas, MASH, and other shows. Or even old Cleveland Indians games I have on tape dating back 20+years ago. I like the familiar, and I don't like change. These newer shows, SUCK. I think you are right, as to why we tend to watch what is familiar all the time.

It did annoy my parents when I was living at home with them, that I would watch CHiPs or Dukes of Hazzard all the time. I just like to watch what I am familiar with.

WildThing121675

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2006, 11:04 am

wildthing121675 wrote:
I think you are right, as to why we tend to watch what is familiar all the time. It did annoy my parents when I was living at home with them, that I would watch CHiPs or Dukes of Hazzard all the time. I just like to watch what I am familiar with.

I definitely agree with that. I that's why children liked shows like Dukes of Hazzard so much when they first aired - and why someone with AS might continue to. Nearly everybody my age watched it when they were eight or so, but most would probably only watch it now for a laugh/nostalgia value. I haven't found many that are still a serious viewer of the show in the same way that they might be of Lost/24/etc. Nearly everyone else seems to have moved on and 'grown up' in their viewing habits. :(

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 3:39 pm

wildthing121675 wrote:
24 sucks

My ex-avatar is coming for you.

Last edited by werbert on 24 Sep 2006, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2006, 3:12 am

I also loved Dukes of Hazzard, and the only soap I really liked was Dallas. I'm usually busy Wednesday nights so I've never gotten into Lost. I do like Scrubs, 24, The Sopranos, and CSI. One thing I'm curious about is the new Showtime series, Dexter because they've been filming in my neighborhood and other areas of town all summer. I hope it's going to be good, it's been fun watching them make it. In fact, they're shooting again this comming Thursday night.

I don't like reality shows, or those dance shows so if anything, I'll watch either show listed or just rent The Sopranos on DVD.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2006, 3:15 am

I also loved Dukes of Hazzard, and the only soap I really liked was Dallas. I'm usually busy Wednesday nights so I've never gotten into Lost. I do like Scrubs, 24, The Sopranos, and CSI. One thing I'm curious about is the new Showtime series, Dexter because they've been filming in my neighborhood and other areas of town all summer. I hope it's going to be good, it's been fun watching them make it. In fact, they're shooting again this comming Thursday night.

I don't like reality shows, or those dance shows so if anything, I'll watch either show listed or just rent The Sopranos on DVD.

wildthing121675

26 Sep 2006, 3:54 pm

lol...

Sorry, didn't mean to offend any 24 fans. I just find that show very hard to follow and understand, plus, I don't like the way it shift-scenes, and has multi-scenes on the same screen. It annoys me more than anything, and makes it hard for me to follow it, so I can't get into 24. Plus, when that show first came on, right after Sept. 11th, I thought it was wrong of Fox to put on a show with a terrorisim plot, cause well, we were just attacked in reality by terrorists.

Wildthing121675

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 4:55 pm

wildthing121675 wrote:
lol...

Sorry, didn't mean to offend any 24 fans. I just find that show very hard to follow and understand, plus, I don't like the way it shift-scenes, and has multi-scenes on the same screen. It annoys me more than anything, and makes it hard for me to follow it, so I can't get into 24.

This I can understand. If you don't follow it from the start of the season, it's very difficult to catch up. I liked the multi-scenes on one screen at first, but now it seems kind of gimmicky. And if you don't like shows about terrorists and federal agents and political intrigue, well, then, you're probably not going to want to watch it.

wildthing121675 wrote:
Plus, when that show first came on, right after Sept. 11th, I thought it was wrong of Fox to put on a show with a terrorisim plot, cause well, we were just attacked in reality by terrorists.

They were nice enough to cut the shot of the plane blowing up from the first episode, and the first season was mostly about assassination, not mass killing. I thought they handled it well.

wildthing121675

29 Sep 2006, 3:55 pm

I saw the pilot, but I was just confused, cause of the jumpy scenes all at once thing, and I didn't have the focus to sit through it. 24 is a good show, and has a strong following, and I hope it has a long, healthy run cause I know what it is like to have favorite shows yanked by insensitive networks before their run is complete.

I was a fan of The Pretender, cause I liked how he righted wrongs, and took on a different role each week, and I liked the mystery and intruge of the Center where he escaped from. NBC yanked that show, and the 2 reunion movies on TNT didn't fulfill me, I hate that. I hope Fox doesn't do that 24, and I hope ABC doesn't do that to Lost. TV networks suck, they always seem to yank my favorite shows in favor of reality crapola.

Shows that have followings should never get yanked by insesnsitive networks, case in point to Family Guy, that show should never have been axed... same with others I can mention, and that list is long.

WildThing121675

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 4:46 pm

I have to say that I absolutely disagree about TV sucking nowadays. Back in the day we barely had any channels, and all of them had sitcoms on them. Bleh. I hate sitcoms, past or present.

Nowadays we have The History Channel, The Learning Channel, The Discovery Channel and a bunch of other educational-only stations (CourtTV, Animal Planet, etc).

Come on, how can you say TV sucks when we have the Mythbusters now?!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 6:30 pm

I love the history channel and discovery. I really love the American Eats show on the history channel, i don't think i'll ever eat a hot dog again after watching American Eats last night. I'm so annoyed that arrested development was canceled! Now they'll probably slop a reality show in the time slot...sigh.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 10:11 pm

tinky wrote:
Now they'll probably slop a reality show in the time slot...sigh.

But this would be good! Wouldn't you like another reality show? I mean, we don't get nearly enough reality in real life, so we need to turn to TV to get more reality. That's why I come home from work/school and stare at the TV for six hours. To get more reality. That's also why I spend so much time on this site, because it's so gritty and realistic, which is something I can't get enough of.