Hope Social Security isn't messed up!

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Well now they have a plan...at the last minute shove a budget through legilation that is going to cut SSI and services for the most vunerable. Given what little time is avaiable Obama has no choice but to sign it....or face default. And I thought they were morons...ohh silly me...they are parasidic.

Anyway, I dont think that we will default...but SSI will be cut considerably. It is nothing but a government run ponzi scheme.

Or if Obama has the balls I had believed he had, he'd just raise the dept ceiling himself, as the 14th amendment allows him to do.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

The word "President" does not occur once in the 14 th amendment.

Art I section 8 puts the power to raise taxes and appropriate monies squarely in the hands of Congress.

Section Eight gives to the Congress certain broad enumerated powers. Among these are the power to lay and collect taxes and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; to borrow money on the credit of the United States, to regulate interstate, foreign, and Indian commerce; and to create courts inferior to the Supreme Court among many others. The section also gives to Congress the power to "make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States."

The Sixteenth Amendment in 1913 extended congressional power of taxation to include income taxes.[56] The Constitution also grants Congress the exclusive power to appropriate funds, and this power of the purse is one of Congress's primary checks on the executive branch.[56] Congress can borrow money on the credit of the United States, regulate commerce with foreign nations and among the states, and coin money.[57] Generally, both the Senate and the House of Representatives have equal legislative authority, although only the House may originate revenue and appropriation bills.[58]

So how do you come to your conclusion? Can you read plain English. Have you bothered to read the Constitution?

Do you think the President is an Elected King or and Elected Dictator?

ruveyn

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
David23 wrote:
I am ashamed that the people representing our country are so engrossed in fighting like 2 year old babies, they would rather plunge the world into ruin, rather than agree on anything... This is what we've become.

BTW I'd much rather vote an Aspie for president, than one of the moron NTs who rule us now. We would so run this country better. 8)

relax. The checks will be issued on time in the month of September.

ruveyn

So no one is getting their SSI checks in August?

No more worries, for now. They've reached the expected last minute deal. Not a bill that is going to solve our debt problems though, in the long run. Sooner or later there will be a consequence to someone. It will likely be people under the age of 30, and their future that will see the real everyday consequences of a continued lack of real action by congress to resolve our financial problems.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/07/obama-back-in-the-debt-talks/1

Quote:
Update at 8:40 p.m.: President Obama said tonight that he and congressional leaders have agreed to a debt ceiling deal just two days before a possible government default that would inflict major damage on the economy.

The full Senate and House must still vote on the agreement, Obama said at a surprise appearance Sunday night in the White House.

"We're not done yet," Obama said. "I want to urge members of both parties to do the right thing with your votes."

Don't worry, it's going to pass, with an agreement between leaders of both parties and Obama, they'll get the votes they need. There is no other realistic scenario.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 9:59 pm

jojobean wrote:
actually if things go through...the Senate is supposed to vote on a bill early tomrrow by Harry Reid that actually got through the house and is hopefully going to be on Obama's desk by Monday night....hours before the deadline.
They seem optisistic about it though. It is a trillion dollars in cuts and trillion dollar debt level increase.

This could have been adverted if we went back to Clinton tax rates, but big corperations dont want to pay taxes and want tax loopholes for their corperate jets and crap like that. We have the lowest amount of taxes coming in per income amount in the history of the US, we also have the largest debt in the history of the US. Seems like a dirrect correlation to me.

Couldn't agree more.

Speaking of President Clinton, what happened to that budget surplus? I tell you what. The creation of the Department of Homeland Security, tax cuts and two invasions, one in Afghanistan, the other Iraq and that's not even counting the trillions spent on bailing out Wall Street.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
jojobean wrote:
actually if things go through...the Senate is supposed to vote on a bill early tomrrow by Harry Reid that actually got through the house and is hopefully going to be on Obama's desk by Monday night....hours before the deadline.
They seem optisistic about it though. It is a trillion dollars in cuts and trillion dollar debt level increase.

This could have been adverted if we went back to Clinton tax rates, but big corperations dont want to pay taxes and want tax loopholes for their corperate jets and crap like that. We have the lowest amount of taxes coming in per income amount in the history of the US, we also have the largest debt in the history of the US. Seems like a dirrect correlation to me.

Couldn't agree more.

Speaking of President Clinton, what happened to that budget surplus? I tell you what. The creation of the Department of Homeland Security, tax cuts and two invasions, one in Afghanistan, the other Iraq and that's not even counting the trillions spent on bailing out Wall Street.

I remember the election between Gore and Bush, and how close it was, wondering what the effect the decision would have on the future.

I can't help but to think how different things might have been with an administration with a sharp pencil for details that Gore had, starting another administration with a surplus.

One thing I am certain of is we wouldn't have gone to War with Iraq and we wouldn't have had the massive tax cuts. The whole future of the country might have been at stake at that time with a difference of relatively few votes. Hopefully we can find a way to solve the problems we have, and that vote from 11 years ago will never be thought of as the initiating factor of what eventually lead to the country's decline.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

nikki15 wrote:
I just wish these stupid politicians would just grow up and DO THEIR JOBS!! !! !

Man!! !! I don't think I've ever been so mad or scared in my life. Not just for me, but for everyone who relies on SS payments. How did these idiots ever get elected? I really need my check, now more than ever because I have to pay my own tuition for the first time ever among other bills. And I wish the idiots in Washington would just COMPROMISE and come up with a deal before it's too late.

:cry:
It's like they want to screw us into the ground.

Those idiots got elected because the average voter is an idiot like them. I hate to think that the concept in Idiocracy is becoming true, but it sounds like it is.

As for SSI checks, I don't know about anyone else, but mine has arrived for August and it was on time.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:11 am

aghogday wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
David23 wrote:
I am ashamed that the people representing our country are so engrossed in fighting like 2 year old babies, they would rather plunge the world into ruin, rather than agree on anything... This is what we've become.

BTW I'd much rather vote an Aspie for president, than one of the moron NTs who rule us now. We would so run this country better. 8)

ruveyn

No more worries, for now. They've reached the expected last minute deal. Not a bill that is going to solve our debt problems though, in the long run. Sooner or later there will be a consequence to someone. It will likely be people under the age of 30, and their future that will see the real everyday consequences of a continued lack of real action by congress to resolve our financial problems.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/07/obama-back-in-the-debt-talks/1

Quote:
Update at 8:40 p.m.: President Obama said tonight that he and congressional leaders have agreed to a debt ceiling deal just two days before a possible government default that would inflict major damage on the economy.

The full Senate and House must still vote on the agreement, Obama said at a surprise appearance Sunday night in the White House.

"We're not done yet," Obama said. "I want to urge members of both parties to do the right thing with your votes."

Don't worry, it's going to pass, with an agreement between leaders of both parties and Obama, they'll get the votes they need. There is no other realistic scenario.

We wouldn't default if we hadn't raised the debt ceiling...

As far as Social Security checks, pay for our soldiers, etc. that would have depended on how hard Obama wanted to make it for the American people.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 1:55 am

Inuyasha wrote:
aghogday wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
David23 wrote:

ruveyn

Quote:

As far as Social Security checks, pay for our soldiers, etc. that would have depended on how hard Obama wanted to make it for the American people.

There was credible evidence that interest rates on loans, etc. would have gone higher if we hadn't raised the debt ceiling. That scenario in itself would not have been politically acceptable. No one had any clear idea exactly what cuts, where would of had to of been made, because we were moving into new territory that hadn't been explored before.

Obviously, though, it's no real long term solution, only another band-aid among many others and many more likely to come in the next few years.

The fix was too easy, for it not to happen this go around.

Sooner or later reality is going to catch up with mathematics and band-aids.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

aghogday wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
aghogday wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
David23 wrote:

ruveyn

Quote:

There was credible evidence that interest rates on loans, etc. would have gone higher if we hadn't raised the debt ceiling. That scenario in itself would not have been politically acceptable. No one had any clear idea exactly what cuts, where would of had to of been made, because we were moving into new territory that hadn't been explored before.

Obviously, though, it's no real long term solution, only another band-aid among many others and many more likely to come in the next few years.

They could have raised interest rates regardless, but the fact of the matter is, we had enough money to pay the interest on the money we owe creditors.

Then it would have came down to what the Treasury/White House considered the priorities were. In other words the Obama Administration could have chosen not to issue the Social Security Checks as a way to make life difficult for Americans in an attempt to both demonize Republicans, and hold the country hostage.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
aghogday wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
David23 wrote:

ruveyn

Quote:

They could have raised interest rates regardless, but the fact of the matter is, we had enough money to pay the interest on the money we owe creditors.

Then it would have came down to what the Treasury/White House considered the priorities were. In other words the Obama Administration could have chosen not to issue the Social Security Checks as a way to make life difficult for Americans in an attempt to both demonize Republicans, and hold the country hostage.

The risk was that the credit rating of the United States was in jeopardy. If the credit rating was lowered everyone's interest on loans would have likely risen. We are not going to see interest rates rise for no reason.

I never suggested we were at any immediate risk of going into default. If a compromise hadn't been met, cuts would have likely been made somewhere; we won't ever know what cuts would or would not have been made, but the contigencies involved were enough for another compromise that has no real promise of yielding results to solve the long term financial problems in the US. Lots of strong political rhetoric among the Obama administration and the Republicans, but business as usual.

Did you expect any other result? It's no wonder not many people pay attention to politics anymore, it's as predictable as a soap opera. When it comes to actual political solutions there are not many discernable differences between either party.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 9:24 pm

aghogday wrote:
The risk was that the credit rating of the United States was in jeopardy. If the credit rating was lowered everyone's interest on loans would have likely risen. We are not going to see interest rates rise for no reason.

While Obama may have believed that, it isn't actually true. There are two major misconceptions involved.

First off, the reason the U.S. credit rating is in doubt is mostly because of the long term debt and deficit problem, and that has not gone away. In fact, if the debt ceiling had not been increased, but the U.S. continued to pay the interest on its bonds, that would have been the best result from a credit rating standpoint. With no debt limit increase, the deficit would have been eliminated, which is the main thing making the situation worse from a ratings perspective.

That's not to say there wouldn't have been a lot of pain - there would have - but it wouldn't have been pain for the bond holders, and thus it wouldn't have been a credit rating issue.

Secondly, just because the government is paying a higher interest rate doesn't mean that everyone pays a higher interest rate. Even if the government did default on its debt, that doesn't mean a homeowner would default on his mortgage. If the government actually defaulted, their interest rates would increase, but individuals might see their interests rates decrease as banks found it safer to lend to individuals than to lend to the government. We've already seen that happen in California, where the state has to pay higher rates than individual homeowners do there - we'd just see the same thing on a national level.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 9:55 pm

psychohist wrote:
aghogday wrote:

While Obama may have believed that, it isn't actually true. There are two major misconceptions involved.

First off, the reason the U.S. credit rating is in doubt is mostly because of the long term debt and deficit problem, and that has not gone away. In fact, if the debt ceiling had not been increased, but the U.S. continued to pay the interest on its bonds, that would have been the best result from a credit rating standpoint. With no debt limit increase, the deficit would have been eliminated, which is the main thing making the situation worse from a ratings perspective.

That's not to say there wouldn't have been a lot of pain - there would have - but it wouldn't have been pain for the bond holders, and thus it wouldn't have been a credit rating issue.

Secondly, just because the government is paying a higher interest rate doesn't mean that everyone pays a higher interest rate. Even if the government did default on its debt, that doesn't mean a homeowner would default on his mortgage. If the government actually defaulted, their interest rates would increase, but individuals might see their interests rates decrease as banks found it safer to lend to individuals than to lend to the government. We've already seen that happen in California, where the state has to pay higher rates than individual homeowners do there - we'd just see the same thing on a national level.

It wasn't just Obama's belief it has been widely reported as fact for weeks and is still an area of concern, as you state. The report below talks to how it would likely effect consumer borrowing if the credit rating of the US is lowered.

Do you any links to economic reports that supports this on the national level. I haven't heard any credible reports that suggest our credit rating would be less likely to have been lowered if an agreement wasn't reached to raise the debt limit. And no reports that suggest that the lowering of the credit rating wouldn't affect interest rates for people that seek loans.

However, I agree with your point that the credit rating was in jeopardy regardless of the debt ceiling issue.

http://www.necn.com/searchNECN/search/v/43409137/u-s-credit-rating-still-in-jeopardy.htm

Quote:
Mary snow tells us some credit agencies could still downgrade the nation's overall rating. Making life harder in many ways.

Never before has the US had its credit rating downgraded so it's difficult to quantify the impact. The one immediate impact would be higher borrowing costs and now would affect everybody

The transcript is a little fuzzy but the video is clear.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

aghogday wrote:
It wasn't just Obama's belief it has been widely reported as fact for weeks and is still an area of concern, as you state.

More accurately, it was widely reported as bald assertions by journalists who know nothing about economics and have never bought a treasury bond in their lives.

Here's a typical article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sp-priva ... ade-2011-7

Here's what it provides as known facts:

Quote:
Yesterday Moody's came out with a warning on the US AAA rating, though it basically said that a failure to raise the debt ceiling by Aug 2 wouldn't necessarily result in a downgrade. Any kind of "technical" default would certainly result in a downgrade.

In other words, the important part isn't raising the debt ceiling, but paying the interest payments on the bonds to avoid a technical default.

Of course, "things might not be so bad" doesn't make for a grabby headline. So the journalist goes on and talks about things that are rumors instead of fact:

Quote:
According to Ben White at POLITICO, S&P is privately warning of a pre-default downgrade.

In other words, he has no idea what S&P, the ratings agency, is really saying. Instead, he cites a political source who is putting his own spin on stuff that he probably heard second hand, too. This is a rumor, not a fact.

And then he says:

Quote:
S&P's John Chambers has met with top Senate Democrats and the Chamber of Commerce (presumably to get the business organization to put pressure on lawmakers).

This is less than a rumor: it's an unfounded guess. The fact that S&P was meeting with the Democrats suggests that they were actually putting pressure on the Democrats and not the Republicans, which makes it likely they were emphasizing that the important part was the deficit reduction, not the debt limit increase. We don't know for sure, though, because reporters weren't in the meetings. Instead of admitting that, he makes a guess - and of course guesses in the way that makes for the most exciting headline.

The only fact in the article was that even if there hadn't been a debt limit increase, there might well be no downgrade, as long as interest payments were made. The rest is spin. Of course, the spin was more attention grabbing than the facts, so the headline was based on the spin.

The same thing happened with most or all news sources, in most cases even more egregiously. The facts, though, are as I presented them: what the bond market cares about is making the interest payments now and in the future, and slashing other expenditures is seen as a good thing rather than a bad thing.

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

There is no way that Social Security will be messed up because it is a separate trust fund from the main government loans. Same for Student Loans.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

psychohist wrote:
aghogday wrote:
It wasn't just Obama's belief it has been widely reported as fact for weeks and is still an area of concern, as you state.

More accurately, it was widely reported as bald assertions by journalists who know nothing about economics and have never bought a treasury bond in their lives.

Here's a typical article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sp-priva ... ade-2011-7

Here's what it provides as known facts:

Quote:
Yesterday Moody's came out with a warning on the US AAA rating, though it basically said that a failure to raise the debt ceiling by Aug 2 wouldn't necessarily result in a downgrade. Any kind of "technical" default would certainly result in a downgrade.

In other words, the important part isn't raising the debt ceiling, but paying the interest payments on the bonds to avoid a technical default.

Of course, "things might not be so bad" doesn't make for a grabby headline. So the journalist goes on and talks about things that are rumors instead of fact:

Quote:
According to Ben White at POLITICO, S&P is privately warning of a pre-default downgrade.

In other words, he has no idea what S&P, the ratings agency, is really saying. Instead, he cites a political source who is putting his own spin on stuff that he probably heard second hand, too. This is a rumor, not a fact.

And then he says:

Quote:
S&P's John Chambers has met with top Senate Democrats and the Chamber of Commerce (presumably to get the business organization to put pressure on lawmakers).

This is less than a rumor: it's an unfounded guess. The fact that S&P was meeting with the Democrats suggests that they were actually putting pressure on the Democrats and not the Republicans, which makes it likely they were emphasizing that the important part was the deficit reduction, not the debt limit increase. We don't know for sure, though, because reporters weren't in the meetings. Instead of admitting that, he makes a guess - and of course guesses in the way that makes for the most exciting headline.

The only fact in the article was that even if there hadn't been a debt limit increase, there might well be no downgrade, as long as interest payments were made. The rest is spin. Of course, the spin was more attention grabbing than the facts, so the headline was based on the spin.

The same thing happened with most or all news sources, in most cases even more egregiously. The facts, though, are as I presented them: what the bond market cares about is making the interest payments now and in the future, and slashing other expenditures is seen as a good thing rather than a bad thing.

That makes sense; many were reporting that not raising the debt would result in our inability to pay the interest on the bonds and a certain lowering of our credit rating. So, I guess that was just opinion, rather than fact.

I suppose if we made enough cuts elsewhere that the interest could have been continued to be paid. I can see where they would have done it, to avoid a default if they hadn't come to an agreement.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 8:00 pm

And now here's the other half of the facts:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-0 ... ccord.html

Quote:
U.S. Rating Cut by S&P on Deficit Reduction Pact

The U.S. had its AAA credit rating downgraded for the first time by Standard & Poor’s on concern spending cuts agreed on by lawmakers to raise the nation’s borrowing limit won’t be enough to reduce record deficits.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

psychohist wrote:
And now here's the other half of the facts:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-0 ... ccord.html

Quote:
U.S. Rating Cut by S&P on Deficit Reduction Pact

The U.S. had its AAA credit rating downgraded for the first time by Standard & Poor’s on concern spending cuts agreed on by lawmakers to raise the nation’s borrowing limit won’t be enough to reduce record deficits.

Sounds like the only way they were not going to lower the rating would be if the politicians had come up with a serious plan to reduce the deficit.

They do mention that although there is still a demand for treasuries do to the issues in Europe that the downgrade may eventually result in higher mortgage rates and auto loan rates.

Do you still think that won't happen?