Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Honest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

I've gone through a difficult time and although what has happened to me sounds unlikey (logically or statistically) What can I do?

What I am saying sounds like I am schitz

but

Without the story I would probably/possibly ('professionals') be diagnosed AS.

What can I do?

It is just an event that has happened in my life recently that makes me sound schitz and because I can't prove it's true...it sounds like I am mad.

Without the 'story' (event that happened in my life recently) I wouldn't sound mad.

What can I do?

What are my options..please help.

It's not what I know-I just can't prove it to anyone else! I don't want to prove it but now have to.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm

What is the story if you are comfortable saying? I would like to help if possible.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2011, 8:26 pm

What's "schitz"?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm

---

Last edited by purchase on 21 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2011, 3:23 am

I don't feel comfortable talking about it over the internet.

Basically I was hypnotized...it's been documented that open heart surgery has been performed under hypnosis but the pyscyatrist I'm seeing doesn't believe it's possible to be hypnotized without someone knowing. I just said 'have you looked up instant induction?'

Aparently she hasn't.

You can see how it is done on youtube if you want.

The only problem is-I have no proof that it was done to me.

OUCH.

pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

Hypnosis is a state of focused concentration, and requires the subject to willingly follow the hypnotist's instructions in order to enter a trance state. During hypnosis the person/subject has both their conscious and subconscious minds active simultaneously. When a person is hypnotized they are not unconscious, they are conscious (awake) the entire time and are aware of everything that is taking place. You cannot be hypnotized against your will, and you cannot be hypnotized without your awareness.

The instantaneous hypnotic inductions make look like the person is instantly unconscious, but all that really happens is the person begins following the hypnotist's instructions. Since the person's eyes are and remain closed (because the person is following instructions) it may appear in a video like the person is unconscious and being 'controlled', but all that has actually taken place is the person has closed his/her eyes and started following the hypnotist's instructions. The difference between an Instantaneous Hypnotic Induction and a Traditional Induction is that in a Tradition Induction you would be asked to focus your eyes on something and would be given suggestions that your eyes wanting to close, getting heavy, and slowly closing (this is done to focus your concentration and have you begin following direct suggestions. In Instantaneous Inductions the person is asked if they are ready to enter a trance right then (if they are unwilling they won't) and then given a couple of different instructions (usually a rehearsal of what to expect/do i.e. "I am going to yell sleep and you will instantly close your eyes, every muscle in your body will become lose, limb, and relax, and you will enter a hypnotic trance.") and the hypnotist will say 'sleep' and the hypnotize will close his/her eyes; when this happens, all that has taken place is the person being hypnotized as followed a basic instruction to "close your eyes when I say sleep" - the person is not actually hypnotized at this point, but has started following the hypnotist's commands through his/her own freewill by closing his/her eyes. The person is free to reject the suggestion and keep his/her eyes open (which is why the hypnotist asked for consent first).

To be hypnotized you must follow the hypnotists instructions. The instructions might include a Progressive Relaxation of your body after asking you to focus your attending on a spot on the wall or light, or it might appear instantaneous by the hypnotist telling you to close your eyes when he says sleep and then stating the word. To enter a hypnotic trance the hypnotist used overload to force you to use your subconscious mind. This is done by Compounding Suggestions, or having you focus on multiple "easy" tasks (i.e. pay attention to your breathing, look at this spot, notice how the muscles in your leg feel, listen to me count backwards from 10 down to 1) . The theory is that you can only consciously focus on one or two things at a time, and in order to CONCENTRATE on more than that you would need the assistance of your subconscious mind -- by instructing the individual to concentrate on multiple simply tasks, the person awakens their subconscious mind. The person NEVER stops using his/her conscious mind (i.e. becomes unconscious) but is actually using more of his/her mind than normal during the trance state.

The Instantaneous Inductions are only the induction, which is basically the procedure used to cause the person to close his/her eyes. The person is not in a trance at that point, and following the induction the hypnotist will start Compounding Suggestions in an effort to awaken the individual's subconscious mind (if the hypnotist knows what he/she is doing). Regardless of the type of induction used, you cannot be hypnotized against your will or without knowing about it. You must be an active participant in order to enter a trance state, because you must actively focus on the instructions given to you. You will hear everything said to you during hypnosis, because your waking state never changes.

Hypnosis was invented by Dr. James Braid and was used for pain control during surgeries before chemical anesthesia existed. If nothing else is available -- which was the case in James Braid's day -- then entering a relaxed state during a surgery is better than nothing, but most people will not select that option in modern times. Of course, hypnosis is used as a pain control method during child births -- when mothers do not want to expose their soon-to-be-born babies to drugs -- and Lamaze uses a similar approach to hypnosis, as does yoga, guided imagery, creative visualization, rhythmic breathing, neuro-linguistic programing, and so on. Hypnosis is also used by Dentists as either a means of controlling anxiety or pain control. Hypnosis is an effect means of dealing with triggers, conditioned responses, and other types of behavioral modification, but it requires conscious and voluntary participation. The person being hypnotized is the one who does all of the work, the hypnotist is only there to direct the trance into the direction the two agreed to work on prior to the trance. Hypnotherapy should be done with a clear purpose and objective in mind. It is an effective means of uncovering the Original Synthesizing Effect that caused a trigger (if that is necessary) but it is mainly used to modify behavior (i.e. "when the light turns off I feel like ...., but I want to feel like ....)

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 11:14 pm

I am in a similiar situation, however I have a different story of how I got here.

When I was 10 years old, my best friend I ever had (his name was Dayne) moved away to Australia. Obviously given what I thought was just my personality, I rarely ever contacted him - the only occasions were to reply to something he sent me

.At the age of 12 I was taken in to do all these tests at school because of my poor academic performance and my extremely high test scores. (I tested in the 99th percentile in mathematics despite being in a remedial math class). I never did my homework - almost never.

They determined that I had a learning disfunction probably ADD, but they began to suspect Aspergers. Though because I had friends they did not pursue this. I actually became very upset when they told me I had this condition because I thought it was complete crap at the time. My parents were terrible at selling it to me, they called it "Half-Autism". I knew I wasn't autistic.

This winter my old best friend Dayne came to the States with his parents, he had planned this trip for a while and I kind of new about it.

I didn't want him to visit me, so I didn't respond to any of his emails or messages and I hoped he wouldn't come

- for the last 3 years I've been somewhat of a recluse - I've always been a hermit, I've never invited anyone over to my house (except one time on my 11th birthday) I was always kind of a weird kid - I sat like 2 inches from the television. I never had too much trouble being around people though, but my level of interaction was poor - topics of conversation usually had to do with PC components and video games (particularly PC games).

Last winter I met an old friend from childhood who came over to my house from Australia. It was really hard having him over because there was nothing for me to catch up on - while he had lived a very full and social life. It was really distressing - I couldn't sleep and I stayed up for 9 days working on this project called a Pouncer - basically it is a retractable gun rig you hold under your arm.

By the 9th day of no sleep I started to go a little crazy, I started crying intensly and I felt like I wanted to kill myself. I snuck all my things and put them in my brother and sisters cars, then I tried to hang myself with a belt in the shed.

I went to the psychiatrist and he said I had disorganized thinking - but I didn't agree.

The next day Jared Lee Loughner killed a bunch of people in Tuscon, Arizona.

The psychiatrist called next day and scheduled an emergency meeting. My parents urged me to go saying they would commit me if I did not comply. I was still unable to sleep.

He diagnosed me with Schizophreniform and perscribed 5 mg of zyprexa.

I said that my thinking was fine and I wrote to him a letter explaining how I thought he was fabricating the symptoms due to my family history of mental illness. . (My older brother is Bipolar Schizoaffective Type II and he had a number of very serious viloent psychotic episodes and had to be hospitalized for over a month). They had to drug him to the hilt, put him in a medically induced coma, and when he woke up he was still screwy. They thought he would never recover. He did and now he owns his own business and is very successful. I also knew that he probably arrived at the diagnosis based upon statistical information - I was 22.5 years old (roughly) which is the statistical average onset of schizophrenia. Also, typically aspergers is diagnosed earlier.

My psychiatrist diagnosed me with schizophreniform - which is basically what a psychiatrist diagnoses people with schizophrenia when he's not sure whether they have it or not. i took the medication from January to mid May.

I stopped taking the medication in May after gaining 43 lbs - I was in really good shape before that. I have been fine since then, I don't have delusions of grandeur, I don't have trouble sleeping, I don't hear voices. So I stopped going to my psychologist and psychiatrist.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 9:17 am

I don't know if this is true but it seems like some autistics if they're under extreme stress in their late teens or young adulthood, they can get brief psychotic traits. If undiagnosed until then, when they get seen the psychologist assumes all their autistic traits are due to a psychotic disorder, since the 'negative symptoms' of schizophrenia look very similar to autism (eg lack of facial expression, inertia, self-care problems).

I do know that about a third of kids with childhood-onset schizophrenia (a very rare condition where clear-cut schizophrenia develops before the age of 12) were autistic before the onset of the schizophrenia. Psychologists aren't sure if they simply looked autistic-like while really having something quite different, or if they really were autistic and autistc kids have a higher risk of childhood schizophrenia.

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

Ettina wrote:
I don't know if this is true but it seems like some autistics if they're under extreme stress in their late teens or young adulthood, they can get brief psychotic traits. If undiagnosed until then, when they get seen the psychologist assumes all their autistic traits are due to a psychotic disorder, since the 'negative symptoms' of schizophrenia look very similar to autism (eg lack of facial expression, inertia, self-care problems).

I do know that about a third of kids with childhood-onset schizophrenia (a very rare condition where clear-cut schizophrenia develops before the age of 12) were autistic before the onset of the schizophrenia. Psychologists aren't sure if they simply looked autistic-like while really having something quite different, or if they really were autistic and autistc kids have a higher risk of childhood schizophrenia.

Yeah Autism and schizophrenia seem very similiar in many respects, so it's easy to confuse one for another particularly with psychiatry, I think they are very prone to statistical bias, so even though I exhibited few traits of schizophrenia (I don't hear any voices, I don't have delusions - I don't think I have disorganized thinking). They were prone to think I had it anyway.

Also from the perspective of they psychiatrist they would rather make the mistake of medicating someone who is not ill, than make the mistake of not medicating someone who is.

techstepscientist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2011, 5:48 am

Honest wrote:

Basically I was hypnotized...it's been documented that open heart surgery has been performed under hypnosis

Then you would have a scar has proof??

If not, i suspect you have an active imagination and are unable to discrimination reality from fantasy.