Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

It doesn't really matter how many friends are on your list. I currently have 300+, but many of them are family (large family), old high school friends, and business contacts. The number of people I'm close to is much smaller. When I see people with 500 friends, I don't think they are more popular. I simply think they have more random contacts from various areas of life.

Facebook IS useful for networking. I have also gotten coupons and heard about sales through "liking" and following companies that I'm fond of.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Katatonic wrote:
I wouldn't be too worried about the friend count if I were you. Most people will add you if they met you at a gas station, gave you change at a restaurant, or filled the air in your tire. They add you and forget you. Its all about status. I remember working with this one girl for a day and after that she added me on Facebook......but otherwise doesn't even acknowledge that I exist even though she works at the ward down the hall from where I work.

Guess who's likely to share your statuses with management should they ever want a reason to have you fired?

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

I don't get using Facebook as some kind of status symbol. It's completely meaningless how many people you have listed as "friends". A very small minority of the people I have as "friends" on Facebook could be considered anything close to that, and only 1 of them I know in real life. I, too, use it mostly for playing games and not for socializing or stalking/being stalked. :lol: I also never use my real name online.

I guess it all depends on your intended use of the site.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

I'm just on there to stalk everybody and post hilarious but pointless things, like this:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

Google+ > Facebook. I ditched my FB account ages ago anyway.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
How do you choose your friends?
I only have 245 (used to have 247, and today I noticed I only had 245, grrr, 2 random people don't like me anymore I guess).
Anyways, the reason I say only is because most kids my age that are NT's, have at least 300 if not 400, 500, or 600 (about the average) or more friends.
However, I only choose people that I have met in real life on my real fb, which most of them I've got from school( especially cross-country).

My point is that it is good that you have discretion because if you have a bazillion friends, then you don't know any of them. If you pointed to anyone (aside from 2 people on there that I don't remember adding, but I think I know them) I could tell you how I met them, and where, and when.

Don't feel band about not having a lot of friends, feel good for making it such a high bar to pass that few can reach it. Because they are better friends for it.

:lol:

i have 14… comprised of:

my four aspie kids, our dog (yes he has a profil maintained by my oldest daughter) and four young people under 20 yoa… leaving my "age appropriate" friends to four woman and one man…

and you only have 245?

:? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, but you are a parent. I think my mom only has in the 30's......and that is because she is friends with other missionary moms with kids in paraguay.

It is only because most my age have 3,4, and 500

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 3:46 pm

chrissyrun wrote:

i am an old fart with over 500. i can't remember who most of them are, which kind of amuses me. my friends list evolved like this:

1. family
2. current real-life friends (ongoing)
3. colleagues
4. ex-students
5. old friends from wayback machine
6. fellow aspies/auties/interested parties from FB groups and blogs
7. other aspies who were friends with #6 (this is where the friendsplosion happened)
8. slightly well-known public figures or musicians
9. WP people (new friendsplosion underway)

people who get deleted:

1. people who try to pick me up multiple times (they get one chance)
2. curebies
3. anyone who cannot accept my formal diagnosis of AS

people who have deleted me:

see above list.

one problem with having too many friends on there is that i tend to miss important updates from people i care about, but they could always.... pick up a phone or send an email if they have news to tell me. there used to be a slider bar that allowed you to see more or less of a person's posts in your feed, but now it's an all-or-nothng choice.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

i am an old fart with over 500. i can't remember who most of them are, which kind of amuses me. my friends list evolved like this:

1. family
2. current real-life friends (ongoing)
3. colleagues
4. ex-students
5. old friends from wayback machine
6. fellow aspies/auties/interested parties from FB groups and blogs
7. other aspies who were friends with #6 (this is where the friendsplosion happened)
8. slightly well-known public figures or musicians
9. WP people (new friendsplosion underway)

people who get deleted:

1. people who try to pick me up multiple times (they get one chance)
2. curebies
3. anyone who cannot accept my formal diagnosis of AS

people who have deleted me:

see above list.

one problem with having too many friends on there is that i tend to miss important updates from people i care about, but they could always.... pick up a phone or send an email if they have news to tell me. there used to be a slider bar that allowed you to see more or less of a person's posts in your feed, but now it's an all-or-nothng choice.

Oh!
My friend list evolution!
Now I want to post it:
1. close friends
2. cross-country friends
3. church friends
4. family
5. school friends
6. EFY friends
7. ASL friends

I've never deleted anyone off my real FB....though I have ben deleted. :(

On my other FB...nali
I am friends with anyone, except I am considering deleting one creeper.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

^ Would that creeper be me? ;)

Oh wait, I haven't even accepted you yet! I'm thinking of disbanding that account and making a new one with a fake name.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

TenPencePiece wrote:
^ Would that creeper be me? ;)

Oh wait, I haven't even accepted you yet! I'm thinking of disbanding that account and making a new one with a fake name.

:lol: No. It was a real creeper. 8O When I had a post for fun of use a letter from your name to describe me, they put naughty. I hadn't spoken to them yet....so, yea, that's creepy.

:( Ok, just make sure to friend me if you do! Btw, that's not my real name on there, but everyone thinks it is. So, if there's any name you would have rather been named, now's the time to try it on. :)

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

Not to derail the thread or anything though...
In response to the OP, I have (had) 64 or so "friends" on there, though I regret adding quite a few and the true amount of friends would be around...5.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2011, 2:08 am

TallyMan wrote:
One fundamental issue concerns me about facebook: I gather that all your "friends" are visible to each other? I definitely wouldn't want to put all my "associates" together in real life! 8O In other words I keep separate my family members, current personal friends, former school/university friends, work colleagues, business contacts, WP members etc. I can't conceive of putting these different associates together!

So for example I definitely would not want my business contacts knowing of my membership on WP and details about Aspergers and how it affects my life! Similarly there are some former school friends who I definitely wouldn't want talking behind my back with work colleagues! Also, there are some family members I'd rather not know some of my personal friends. It just seems a recipe for disaster sooner or later in one's life giving people facilities to talk behind your back or stir sh** for you. Maybe not too much of a problem for young people who are still at college etc, but when they grow older and have families and work colleagues etc it could potentially be a huge problem. Do people really want prospective employers checking up on them to see what friends they have / had or that they like to get drunk out of their skull at weekends or do drugs or have Aspergers or other mental conditions? :shrug:
Currently on Facebook it's possible to restrict visibility of the Friends list to "Just Me".

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

I'm not a big fan of Facebook, either. Everything's just big popularity contests on there. Also, I'm not interested in playing those stupid games like Farmville or Cafe World or re-posting those meaningless statuses like "Re-post this status to help find a cure for cancer" or whatever.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
Also, I'm not interested in playing those stupid games like Farmville or Cafe World or re-posting those meaningless statuses like "Re-post this status to help find a cure for cancer" or whatever.

Same here! I have taken to hiding game apps from my news feed so I can just concentrate on reading the content I am interested in.