Tape recorder playing everything over and over in your head

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

the_curmudge wrote:
I think the important thing is not to identify with the tape. It's just a portion of your brain that's stuck on automatic and it's not important. If you can adopt a bemused attitude toward this inner chatter, you have already begun to separate yourself from it. With time it may become less obtrusive and easier to shove aside when you need to do some REAL thinking.

That's interesting. Has this worked for you? I decided to train it not to put me down anymore by making that voice out to be a total idiot.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

If tape recorders are supposed to record music too, I have this. With words and sentences only rarely. Even when I'm asleep, I sometimes discover that music is playing in my mind... Only a few bars or lines, over and over again.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

I do this too.

I'm usually trying to learn what went right - or what went wrong - during the interaction.
Or if there was anything funny about my, or the other persons' reactions/responses. Or i'm scoring myself on how well I figure I was understood, or how well i did on eye contact, etc.

But it doesn't really keep me awake; I usually manage to solve or decide to give up on these things by the time I go to bed (if I go to bed).

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 2:51 am

Yes, I replay conversations/interactions over and over in my head - analysing every little snippet to figure out what went well, what went badly, what someone *really* meant, whether I was understood properly, why someone didn't respond the way I had expected them to respond etc etc

It drives me nuts.

My facebook status the other day was:

"Somebody please help me to change the stupid stuff replaying in my head at the moment. It's distracting me and I have loads of work to do."

It could easily be my status every day, most of the day. When I'm not replaying conversations, I'm rehearsing them in preparation for the next interaction.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2011, 6:04 am

I think of really good responses to situations I was in well over 10 years ago. Kind of pointless, but I dwell on the past and have a desire for revenge.