Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2011, 1:00 am

Hey, I'm pretty sure this has been asked several times before, but after searching a few terms here I never found anything useful, so I am going to ask anyway. My question is about housing. Is there housing for people with Autism, or programs that help them live on their own? For the past year I have been struggling a lot and my family had pretty much abandoned me and I am sick of it. I am sick of them thinking I am rude and inconsiderate. I am sick of my parents making me feel like I am a bad person and that I can't do anything correctly. I am sick of my parents not accepting me and pretty much blaming me for everything. I am sick of being told they wish I was "normal" or being told that I am no longer welcome at their house. And I am sick of arguing with them so often. So I am trying to move out, but I have no friends or family to live with, and I have to take my three cats with me as my parents hate them and probably wouldn't hesitate to get rid of them. To be perfectly honest I don't even know if I can live on my own, but my parents have made it clear that they no longer want me in their lives, so I don't really know what to do other than move out. So are there any programs that might help me find an apartment or something? If so, how do I find them? I need the apartment to be in the town I live in so that I can continue to see my doctors and hopefully go to college. Anyway, if anybody can help me that would be great, because right now I feel so hopeless.

Last edited by Tamsin on 17 Jul 2011, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jul 2011, 1:26 am

Where do you live?

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2011, 1:27 am

I live in a small town west of Seattle.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jul 2011, 2:21 am

Tamsin wrote:
I live in a small town west of Seattle.

I don't know of any specific housing programs available in Washington or Seattle (I do live in Washington, though).

It might be a good idea to contact your local DSHS (Department of Social and Health Services) and see what services are available.

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/

They have a program called "disability lifeline" that might be helpful, but it's going away in November to be replaced by some other program. They might have housing assistance.

Another option is to check out 211:

http://www.resourcehouse.info/Win211/

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2011, 5:58 am