Conversations with others inside your head?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you have conversations with others inside your head?
Never 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes, but I never say things out loud 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
All the time, but I never say things out loud 38%  38%  [ 34 ]
Sometimes, and I end up saying things out loud! 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
All the time, and I end up saying things out loud! 33%  33%  [ 29 ]
No, you're crazy! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I used to, but I don't anymore. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 89

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Does anybody ever have these? The thing I tend to do, though, is saying the end or middle of them out loud.

For instance, I was planning out what I would ask somebody as I was walking. I went up to them still having this conversation. I came up to them and said, quite loudly, "Thank you, *insert name here!"

Obviously they were kind of bemused :P

So does anybody else ever do this? I'm not sure if it's an ASD thing though, or if it's just completrely ordinary ;)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

I do it ll the time, trying to dissect the situation I was in and how I could have responded better.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

Yes, I "rehearse" for future conversations that never happen 98% of the time. It gets to be a problem when you have the conversation and forget that the person wasn't part of the rehearsal and you act as if they know what you said.

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2011, 3:27 pm

Jory wrote:
Yes, I "rehearse" for future conversations that never happen 98% of the time. It gets to be a problem when you have the conversation and forget that the person wasn't part of the rehearsal and you act as if they know what you said.

I agree, I do that and forget that the conversation didn't "really" happen with this person. Another problem is when you imagine them reacting negatively and end up being convinced that they dislike you (though that's probably just my pessimistic mind).

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Yes, I have imaginary conversations all the time. They're conversations I'd like to have but I know I never will.
I might say parts of them under my breath but not really out loud.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

Luci wrote:
Yes, I have imaginary conversations all the time. They're conversations I'd like to have but I know I never will.
I might say parts of them under my breath but not really out loud.

Yep, this. And I too rehearse conversations a lot.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

Yes. I was about to post another Zadie Smith book quote here but I'm getting ashamed of how often I post about The Most Wonderful Person In the World Whose Book Quotes Seem To Apply to Just About Every Situation so I'll just say Kiki Belsley in On Beauty does this and for the 870th time as I read one of her books I was amazed and delighted that someone had put into print something I thought only a weirdo like I did.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:58 pm

Yes, every day!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

My brain never shuts up...its not like a conversation with others just different aspects of myself I guess, and sometimes I end up talking outloud to myself.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

I grew up sort of isolated in the rural midwest...so the typical hallmark of Aspies, rambling on, was never really exercised by me. All those conversation were turned inward, or onto the page.

I think it was one of the reasons my AS was diagnosed later.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

ForestRose wrote:
Jory wrote:

I agree, I do that and forget that the conversation didn't "really" happen with this person. Another problem is when you imagine them reacting negatively and end up being convinced that they dislike you (though that's probably just my pessimistic mind).

Sometimes I can't even remember if I actually talked to someone or not. Luckily that doesn't happen too often.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 5:17 pm

I have those conversations in my head all the time. I imagine that I'm having all kinds of conversations in my mind.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

I have conversations with people in my head, and sometimes I actually end up saying those things to people in real life.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

Isn't conversation in your head WITH OTHERS (as opposed to with oneself) indicative of the schizophrenia spectrum?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2011, 9:30 pm

you left out sometimes I sya things out loud.

I would argue that speaking and thinking are essential the same activity (at least as far as your brain is concerned)

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Isn't conversation in your head WITH OTHERS (as opposed to with oneself) indicative of the schizophrenia spectrum?

I'm not certain, but it might be. I like to think that I'm schizophrenic, but I have deemed myself unqualified to diagnose myself with anything from failed attempts in the past. :P