How much IQ subscore scatter is typical for autistic people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jul 2011, 6:37 pm

I'm just kind of curious:

I was taking this test: http://www.intelligencetest.com

Which as far as online IQ tests go, it is one of the better tests available online (at least for those who read English). It's normed against the WAIS. This doesn't mean it's necessarily accurate, but more that you're likely to score in the same range on this test as the WAIS.

It gives an overall IQ score based on multiple subscores:

Verbal, Mathematical, Spatial, Logic, Pattern Recognition, General Knowledge, Short Term Memory, Visualization, and Classification.

The subscores are given as 1-100 scores as well as percentages. The first score is a flat how well you scored on the test, and the second score rates where you are in relation to other people.

These are my scores based on the flat (1-100), and what percentage each subscore was relative to my highest (Spatial) score:

Verbal score: 88.54%
Mathematical: 91.67%
Spatial: 100%
Logic: 92.71%
Pattern recognition: 91.67%
General Knowledge: 84.38%
Short Term Memory: 81.25%
Visualization: 88.54%
Classification: 87.5%

These are my scores based on the percentage as compared to everyone else who has taken the test relative to my highest (mathematical) percentage:

Verbal score: 79.17%
Mathematical: 100%
Spatial: 96.88%
Logic: 96.88%
Pattern recognition: 87.5%
General Knowledge: 68.75%
Short Term Memory: 85.42%
Visualization: 94.79%
Classification: 87.5%

100% in each case simply means that was my highest score, and does not reflect my actual score or percentage. I don't want to focus on my overall score or what my actual scores were, but rather on the scores relative to each other.

I didn't expect that much of a gap between spatial and verbal, but I probably shouldn't be surprised. I wish the test would give subscores in terms of IQ scores rather than flat 1-100 scores, as it's hard for me to interpret quite what the latter means.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

Hmm... that's a lot of subscales for a test with only 30 questions.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 3:57 am

I took this test a couple of weeks ago, and although I definitely had problems with language, if you are interested, I'll post later the detailed results I saved. They were much worse though, as I recall. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jul 2011, 4:56 am

Cassia wrote:
Hmm... that's a lot of subscales for a test with only 30 questions.

What can I say? It's all I have.

Like I said in my OP, all it really predicts is that if you score in a certain range on it, you are likely to score in a similar range on the WAIS. That's all.

But as far as it goes, each question probably scores on more than one scale.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2011, 8:23 am

Verdandi wrote:

I guess that makes sense.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 9:35 am

I took one on another website. To get the full report, you need to pay a fee. I didn't buy it, but I got a little email that said "Dear Chucky Doll,

Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.

Your general IQ score is: 120"

I said Chucky Doll because I didn't want to put my real name and that is my nickname among friends.

On the test here:
Your age adjusted IQ score is 135 and the average score of all test takers is 100.

General statistics

Total number of questions: 30
Questions answered: 30
Questions not answered: 0
Questions answered correctly: 25
Questions answered incorrectly: 5
Percentage correct answers: 83 %

Your highest score was in Spatial (I was surprised because English is my strong suit)

Exceptional intelligence does not guarantee results -- to achieve excellence you must fully understand your strengths and learn to maximize your efforts. Knowing your greatest intellectual strength may give you insight into how you can improve your learning process, work better with others, or become more self aware of your abilities. According to this test your spatial skills are the most developed of all your intellectual capabilities - your capability to manipulate 3-D objects in space is your biggest strength.

Your lowest score was in Classification

Weaknesses are the roadblocks we face when trying to achieve our goals. Awareness of your weaknesses allows you to predict problems and find solutions ahead of time, thereby alleviating future headaches. According to this test your classification skills are the most underdeveloped of all your intellectual capabilities - your capability to discover the commonalities between words, pictures and objects is your biggest weakness.

Your verbal score was 75 and your percentile score is 61

Your mathematical score is 75 and your percentile score is 84

Your spatial score is 100 and your percentile score is 96

Your logic score is 78 and your percentile score is 79

Your pattern recognition score is 96 and your percentile score is 92

Your general knowledge score is 81 and your percentile score is 66

Your short term memory score is 88 and your percentile score is 94

Your visualization score is 87 and your percentile score is 93

Your classification score is 74 and your percentile score is 69

Considering this quiz is 30 questions, I'm not sure if my results are reliable.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Last edited by gailryder17 on 21 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

I don't know why I keep allowing myself to be suckered into taking these tests. The online ones, for the most part are total garbage in terms of any real value.

First of all, allowing only fifteen minutes, one time only, is a bad way to get a true picture. Take the test at the wrong time, when my brain isn't clicking so well, and the result is predictably low. Take it when my brain is fired up and clicking madly, and the result of predictably high. The only good way to get a truly accurate picture is to have several to many different tests, take them at different times, and look for averages of your own scores.

I already know from more accurate tests I've taken, both online, and moderated in person, my average is around 135 -145. This one turned up 117, so I didn't even bother looking at the breakdowns.

One time tests don't really present an accurate picture.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 11:28 am

MrXxx wrote:
I don't know why I keep allowing myself to be suckered into taking these tests. The online ones, for the most part are total garbage in terms of any real value.

First of all, allowing only fifteen minutes, one time only, is a bad way to get a true picture. Take the test at the wrong time, when my brain isn't clicking so well, and the result is predictably low. Take it when my brain is fired up and clicking madly, and the result of predictably high. The only good way to get a truly accurate picture is to have several to many different tests, take them at different times, and look for averages of your own scores.

I already know from more accurate tests I've taken, both online, and moderated in person, my average is around 135 -145. This one turned up 117, so I didn't even bother looking at the breakdowns.

I was wondering why I kept getting 120-130 IQs. I'm not actually sure if I'm that smart. I'm probably not but I do well in school.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

MrXxx wrote:

What are the more accurate online tests? I know the Raven Implicit Matrices is valid as it's the same test that's used for psych evaluations, but only one part of the IQ test.

As far as this test goes, it's the only one online I'm aware of that's normed against a valid test and the only one that provides a set of subscores. I don't think the overall score matters in any event. I was mostly interested in what typical range of scatter is, and I posted what I did because I had those numbers at hand.

My score on this test at this time was lower than is typical for me and lower than the last time I took this same test (which was on a different computer). I don't really care about that, I was more interested in the difference between the subscores. I left the actual scores out because I didn't want to get diverted into discussing the full score or the specific meanings of the subscores.

I know this is the second time I have posted something that you've followed through on and been frustrated about the results. I am sorry if you feel "suckered" into these things as such is not my intent.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

Total number of questions: 30
Questions answered: 27
Questions not answered: 3
Questions answered correctly: 21
Questions answered incorrectly: 9
Percentage correct answers: 70 %

Your spatial score is 92 and your percentile score is 90
Your pattern recognition score is 84 and your percentile score is 78
Your visualization score is 72 and your percentile score is 73
Your logic score is 67 and your percentile score is 61
Your classification score is 63 and your percentile score is 49
Your general knowledge score is 63 and your percentile score is 39
Your verbal score was 60 and your percentile score is 37
Your short term memory score is 56 and your percentile score is 44
Your mathematical score is 50 and your percentile score is 44

Questions like this were left answered with "I don't know", although I tried to answer them, it was a waste of time:

21. Rearrange the following letters to make a single word and then choose the category in which it belongs.
FARE FIG
Correct Answer: Animal (GIRAFFE)

I felt pressed by the time limit, and made at least one stupid mistake because of it (knowing what the rule was I selected the wrong answer). Using non-native language also had effect, especially on time. The only surprising score is the mathematical, imo. I wonder if time measure is taken between clicks to further refine the results.

Verdandi wrote:

Probably.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

I didn't take your test, but a psychologist did give me the Weschler in college and I scored 138. That worked out to 144 on verbal and 115 on performance. My scored ranged between 175 (math and one other section) and 80 (copying symbols)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

I didn't get an e-mail, so I just went through each section and copied:

Verbal 29%
Mathematical 31%
Spatial 28%
Logic 37%
Pattern Recognition 21%
General Knowledge 39%
Short term memory 23%
Visualization 5%
Classification 4%

Overall, I got a score of 93, which is "lower than average." Woohoo! Wait....how the $#%^ is my math score higher than my verbal score? Sheesh, IQ tests are such crap. :D

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 8:27 pm

My real-life IQ test had about 40 percentile points worth of scatter, but that could be more because some of my subtests were ceilinged out. When I was a little kid, my IQ scores were even more scattered, apparently, at least according to my grandpa (who did the IQ test as part of a psychology practicum).

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 8:54 pm

Callista wrote:
My real-life IQ test had about 40 percentile points worth of scatter, but that could be more because some of my subtests were ceilinged out. When I was a little kid, my IQ scores were even more scattered, apparently, at least according to my grandpa (who did the IQ test as part of a psychology practicum).

Thanks, this helps. I'm not even sure this test could process that much scatter due to the short list of questions.

I was tested in the first grade, but my mother misplaced all of my school record stuff at some point. I should probably see if the school still has records.

Last edited by Verdandi on 21 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I didn't get an e-mail, so I just went through each section and copied:

Verbal 29%
Mathematical 31%
Spatial 28%
Logic 37%
Pattern Recognition 21%
General Knowledge 39%
Short term memory 23%
Visualization 5%
Classification 4%

Overall, I got a score of 93, which is "lower than average." Woohoo! Wait....how the $#%^ is my math score higher than my verbal score? Sheesh, IQ tests are such crap. :D

I know, right? I scored much lower on verbal than I expected. All that hyperlexia wasted! ;)