Page 6 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,003
Location: australia

27 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

i know a man who is very "spiritual", and people seem to admire him and respect him, and he says that i am the most "spiritually" blind person he has ever met. other people who know me agree with him. my doctors also believe i am stuck in a basal world. i do not care because i feel very comfortable.

i cannot stand ground with the rest of you (on wp), and what you all say goes over my head mainly. i can not work out how to understand what you say.

but i know i know things that (i think) no one else knows, and mostly i do not want to share what i find, but sometimes i do.

i am off to sleep now (ish)



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,073
Location: Stendec

27 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me "What's in the Box?" After 20+ years of asking, I think at least one person should have come up with the correct answer, if only by chance. No one has even come close.

I got it correct before it's your ego in the box...

Wrong. If you are not going to take this seriously, then your answers aren't worthy of attention.
cyberdad wrote:
I noticed you ran away from my thread re: Alien messages when I asked you to read the journal publication by the NSA. Don't like stuff that conflicts with your comfortable view of the world.

I did not run away, I just got bored with the same old lame excuses that everyone else gives as to why (1) what they say is real, even though (2) they offer no evidence to support their claims - and by evidence, I mean an actual demonstration of their "powers", which is why I keep asking "What's in the Box?"
cyberdad wrote:
Here's another - the US army is doing research into telepathy
http://discovermagazine.com/2011/apr/15 ... -telepaths

That's not telepathy, that's ordinary radio, modulated by a trigger that recognizes various patterns for "Halt", "Freeze", "Pass me the C4", and "Empty the clip".
cyberdad wrote:
Maybe you can ask a US Marine what's in your box...ROFL....

Maybe you could check in with reality.


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Nov 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,102

27 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

Janissy wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:
Once upon a time. There was a scientist who understood intuition. He even came up with his breakthrough after waking up oneday out of what seemed to be nowhere. His name was Albert Einstein. Why can't we have more scientists now that understand intuitive thinking?


We have many, many scientists now who understand intuitive thinking. However, psychic abilities are not the same as intuitive thinking. Intuitive thinking is using the subconscious parts of the brain to find answers (as many scientists have done, not limited to Einstein). Psychic powers (claim to) use unverifiable energies outside the brain to find answers. That's not inuition. Although I really think (especially after reading this thread) that a lot of what people think is psychic is actually intuition. The unconscious mind deserves more credit.


I have a very strong intuition that do also co-exist with instances that would be classified as "psychic". With how many times it's happened to me, I could no longer just ignore it or classify it as a coincidence. Now I embrace and listen. I often thought of this as my intuition telling me something. In the case of Einstein, that is not psychic, correct. There is this trend of "rational" only.

What I have noticed is when people cite "rationality" as their source in a debate or argument if those people were found wrong later on, never is their rationality questioned nor do they ever admit it.



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

27 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
[What I have noticed is when people cite "rationality" as their source in a debate or argument if those people were found wrong later on, never is their rationality questioned nor do they ever admit it.


Nor should their rationality be questioned. Rationality is merely a tool to examine evidence. A too-small data set analyzed rationaly will nevertheless give a wrong answer. It is perfectly rational to think that the earth is flat and the sun rotates around it like a ball around a disc if your only data set is personal observation of the days passing and how flat the earth looks even from the nearby hill (assuming you have never gone past this nearby hill). Continuing to think that after the data set has expanded to encompass our current knowledge of the solar system is irrational. This is why rational people always ask for evidence...to expand the data set. If you want people to believe something but are unable to expand the data set in a way that proves this new belief, it is rational to not believe you.

The wrong results sometimes rationaly arrived at is not an argument for embracing irrationality. It's an argument for expanding data sets. Rational people will embrace psychic phenomena if the data set can be expanded to prove it. But the proof that has been offered thus far isn't verifiable and is easily explained in other ways. Confirmation Bias explains the anecdotal evidence. I am also pretty quick to assume data fudging when experiments "prove" psychic phenomena (I will allow that sometimes this data fudging is subconscious). That's why repeatability by many different experimenters is required before current theories are changed. A good thing too, if you look at Wakefield's "vaccines cause autism" debacle. He had experimental "proof" that seemed even more solid than what is being offered here. But it was fudged. That's why rational people are so slow to adopt new theories.



Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 473
Location: Salem, CT

27 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

YourMother wrote:
OOOOHH!! Yeah, I'm psychic. You're thinking about sex. See, I told you I was psychic.


LOL

But seriously... I've never had any experiences. Until I do I won't believe in psychic phenomena.

****************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!



Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,088
Location: Depew NY

27 Jul 2011, 7:21 pm

O'K, I have been accused of being psychic at different jobs by saying something was going to happen and then it happened. I do it by making logical guesses and with astute observations not to mention blind guessing and getting lucky. If a machine makes a rattling noise a half an hour before crashing I take note of it. Then a few days down the line I hear the noise so I tell the operator to shut down the machine that it is getting ready to crash. He of course refuses because he has a quota to meet. So I go to tell the boss the machine is getting ready to crash. While I am warning the boss the machine crashes right after I left the shop floor. Everyone is running around saying the Dope told you so and you blew him off. The boss goes running out there only to see everyone standing around with dumb looks on their faces and I am looking like some kind of psychic.

When I worked at the resteraunt I watched a take out girl get into a heated arguement with her boyfriend in the parking lot before her shift he drove off with her chasing behind his car while screaming and crying. I thought wow what emotion I bet she is pregnate and he just dumped her. She was standing by the time clock talking to some waitresses so I asked her if she was all right and she snapped at me " You wouldn't understand, your a [email protected] retard!" So I replied "I understand enough to know your pregnate and your boyfriend dumped you because he does not think it is his." Then I calmly said "[email protected] slut." then I walked away. The waitresses accused me of being psychic because crazy people have psychic ability.

Another time at the resteraunt a chain smoker who was not too bright and very careless lost his cigarette lighter so I saw him light his cigarette in the lit rotissery charcoal oven so I thought he was going to set his paper hat we all had to wear on fire. I told two of my co-workers the smoker was going to set his hat on fire before lunch today so we watched him all morning until he set his hat on fire and walked away. No one told him his hat on fire they were to busy doing the theme music from the twilight zone. They told me if we were back in colonial America they would burn me for being a witch. :wink:

I also guessed the outcome on three dice rolls to prove my psychic ability all three were blind guesses and I got lucky and freaked some dumb ass NT's out. They were like "You ought to be working for the CIA or FBI or some think tank. :roll: People do it all the time but the ones who are good at it want to be something special so they think or say they are psychic but they are just a very logical thinker or very observant. :wink: I knew the ten sided dice I had rolled mostly 4,6, or 8 so it would be one of those three numbers so I just had to guess the from those three and find the right dummies to do it in front of that I knew would be running around telling everyone that I am some kind of psychic mutant. :twisted: :P


_________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die -Hunter S. Thompson


Last edited by Todesking on 27 Jul 2011, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,088
Location: Depew NY

27 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

Britain, United States, Canada, and Russia have used psychics for espionage and military purposes with success numerous times through the 60's, 70's, 80's. and 90's. They deny they still are using them but if they were successful back then so you know they are using them now. Russia has been known for trying experiments to increase human psychic ability. United States has in the works fighter jets that can be controlled with thought. Weird stuff is out there so I am up in the air when it comes to psychic ability.


_________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die -Hunter S. Thompson


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,073
Location: Stendec

27 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

Todesking wrote:
Britain, United States, Canada, and Russia have used psychics for espionage and military purposes with success numerous times through the 60's, 70's, 80's. and 90's.

Evidence, please?


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,081

27 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

Janissy wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:
[What I have noticed is when people cite "rationality" as their source in a debate or argument if those people were found wrong later on, never is their rationality questioned nor do they ever admit it.


Nor should their rationality be questioned. Rationality is merely a tool to examine evidence. A too-small data set analyzed rationaly will nevertheless give a wrong answer. It is perfectly rational to think that the earth is flat and the sun rotates around it like a ball around a disc if your only data set is personal observation of the days passing and how flat the earth looks even from the nearby hill (assuming you have never gone past this nearby hill). Continuing to think that after the data set has expanded to encompass our current knowledge of the solar system is irrational. This is why rational people always ask for evidence...to expand the data set. If you want people to believe something but are unable to expand the data set in a way that proves this new belief, it is rational to not believe you.

The wrong results sometimes rationaly arrived at is not an argument for embracing irrationality. It's an argument for expanding data sets. Rational people will embrace psychic phenomena if the data set can be expanded to prove it. But the proof that has been offered thus far isn't verifiable and is easily explained in other ways. Confirmation Bias explains the anecdotal evidence. I am also pretty quick to assume data fudging when experiments "prove" psychic phenomena (I will allow that sometimes this data fudging is subconscious). That's why repeatability by many different experimenters is required before current theories are changed. A good thing too, if you look at Wakefield's "vaccines cause autism" debacle. He had experimental "proof" that seemed even more solid than what is being offered here. But it was fudged. That's why rational people are so slow to adopt new theories.


Interesting article here, regarding latest scientific reseasrch that indicates that rapid fire emotion precedes most rational thought; no one is immune to this.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03/denial-science-chris-mooney?page=4


Quote:
Given the power of our prior beliefs to skew how we respond to new information, one thing is becoming clear: If you want someone to accept new evidence, make sure to present it to them in a context that doesn't trigger a defensive, emotional reaction.


While some human beings like to think they are purely rational and able to exclude emotional bias from rationality, it's exremely difficult for anyone to do this.

The latest research in what is considered psychic phenomenon, was considered an automatic sham by some in the psychological community, because of the bias in the fact that previous research results over a period of 130 years, have failed to provide any reliable suggestion of any effect what can be measured above and beyond what is normal.

Some are going to great measure, to try to ensure that no more research is done, in fact suggesting that the whole method of statistical research in the psychological community is flawed and should be changed because of the results of this statistical analysis.

It works both ways, scientists with the best of intentions are as influenced by emotional bias as anyone else, both the ones doing the research, and the scientists that may disagree with the research.

As said before, I'll reserve judgement until the results are replicated by additional researchers, but it's definitely the most compelling scientific evidence we have at this point, beyond that of the evidence suggested by Quantum Mechanics, that there may be a human element that influences physical reality, that we don't fully understand.

As suggested by the article presented in this post, the best way to determine in a discussion how strongly emotional bias is a part of someone's opinion, is their refusal to accept middle ground, when it is reasonable and available.

The hardline is the research is wrong, it's just a statistical fluke as reported by those in the psychological community, and the experiment is not worth repeating rather than allowing the normal process of peer review and replication of effort to proceed to ensure it was not a fluke.

As controversial as the subject is, someone will take the effort to repeat it, regardless of what the bias of the majority of current opinion within the psychological community suggests.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

27 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

Police departments use them too, Fnord. Sometimes, psychics help find bodies.



Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,088
Location: Depew NY

27 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
Evidence, please?


Hope this helps. I had more info on my computer that I used for a Call of Cthullu RPG campaign.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/ar ... argate.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_viewing

http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages ... tedRV.html

http://www.lfr.org/LFR/csl/library/Bremseth.pdf

http://psi-spy.blogspot.com/2009/07/psy ... d-kgb.html

http://sm4csi.home.xs4all.nl/nwo/MindCo ... e_USSR.htm


_________________
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die -Hunter S. Thompson


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

27 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

So you see there are several applications involving psychic thought:

1. Mind reading
2. Clairvoyance/seeing the future/premonitions
3. Clairvoyance/seeing where an object is located
4. Intution/ knowing the emotional states of others
5. Influencing situations with thoughts or feelings. Examples are power of prayer or positive thinking.
Then there's synchronicity and mirror neuron effects involving feeling the sensations others experience while witnessing them.

So you see, the field is wide open and ready for further study :)



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

27 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

Janissy wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:
[What I have noticed is when people cite "rationality" as their source in a debate or argument if those people were found wrong later on, never is their rationality questioned nor do they ever admit it.


Nor should their rationality be questioned. Rationality is merely a tool to examine evidence. A too-small data set analyzed rationaly will nevertheless give a wrong answer. It is perfectly rational to think that the earth is flat and the sun rotates around it like a ball around a disc if your only data set is personal observation of the days passing and how flat the earth looks even from the nearby hill (assuming you have never gone past this nearby hill). Continuing to think that after the data set has expanded to encompass our current knowledge of the solar system is irrational. This is why rational people always ask for evidence...to expand the data set. If you want people to believe something but are unable to expand the data set in a way that proves this new belief, it is rational to not believe you.

The wrong results sometimes rationaly arrived at is not an argument for embracing irrationality. It's an argument for expanding data sets. Rational people will embrace psychic phenomena if the data set can be expanded to prove it. But the proof that has been offered thus far isn't verifiable and is easily explained in other ways. Confirmation Bias explains the anecdotal evidence. I am also pretty quick to assume data fudging when experiments "prove" psychic phenomena (I will allow that sometimes this data fudging is subconscious). That's why repeatability by many different experimenters is required before current theories are changed. A good thing too, if you look at Wakefield's "vaccines cause autism" debacle. He had experimental "proof" that seemed even more solid than what is being offered here. But it was fudged. That's why rational people are so slow to adopt new theories.

This is a good argument for the existence of psychic ability. For so long, mankind was fooled into believing the earth was flat and the sun revolved around it, the ocean had an edge and if your ship drifted off it you went tumbling into space. A psychic or two might have said no, that can't be right but were burnt at the stake as heretics. This suggests the vast majority of people will not acknowledge their psychic skills. But it shows you, there's more to the solar system than meets the eye and you can't go through life with blinders on and have anything close to accuracy. Maybe anything is possible? People just aren't ready to acknowledge the possibilities yet.

Just as there's more to the solar system than appears to the naked eye, there could be more to what we are capable of experiencing, thinking, feeling.

No need to discount the idea there could be.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

27 Jul 2011, 9:02 pm

You could even argue that savants and gifted individuals have a psychic ability. They have unexplained ways of knowing how to do something or mental abilities that appear magical and cannot be explained, like psychics have. Could savant skills and giftedness be a form of psychic ability?

This is the connection I see between the autistic and the psychic and why I wonder if people with ASDs could be more prone to experiencing psychic phenomena than the non autistics?

First, it takes a willingness to open the mind and letting go of the stereotype surrounding psychics. Thinking psychically could be a lot more common than everyone thinks.

The paranormal could, indeed, be normal.



so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 295

27 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
You could even argue that savants and gifted individuals have a psychic ability. They have unexplained ways of knowing how to do something or mental abilities that appear magical and cannot be explained, like psychics have. Could savant skills and giftedness be a form of psychic ability?

No no no. Having abilities and not being able to explain them is simply a matter of subconscious versus conscious thought processes. And im not talking about Jungian or Freudian subsconsciousnes, because those butt-holes are full of more crap than psychics. What i mean is there is a part of you, your conscious self, where you have ideas about who you are, and that you are. Your conscious self is overbearingly redundant, it slows down and suffocates true potential. In your conscious thoughts, where you know what you know more definitively what you are thinking, you are double checking and triple checking yourself. In your unconscious, your thoughts just are. They do, and dont waste time considering what they are doing. The sea of subconscious is where savant ability arises from.
To simply translate any thought into communicable words requires a pruning and narrowing and killing of the essence of a thing.

I dont think i've explained this idea very well, but hopefully you get enough of the just of it to further consider it.



TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,982
Location: California

27 Jul 2011, 9:35 pm

If one were to put a label on the things I've experienced and done, then psychic would most likely be it. Honestly, though, I think everyone has the abilities I do. Some just pay more attention than others.


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.