Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:20 am

When I was a little kid, my smell sensitivities were so bad that I'd often throw fits if there was even a hint of a small I didn't like in a room. It was really bad during the lunch hour...kids would bring in stinky meat, tuna and salmon etc and it just disgusted me so much.

These have gone down, but I still get disgusted easily by certian foods...l cannot smell egg salad without wanting to instantly puke.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2011, 10:31 am

One thing I forgot to mention, which is positive in nature, is that I've prevented several house and car fires by smelling hot electrical smell in time to do something about it. I learned to "listen" to my nose after I nearly lost my restored classic Cadillac to a an electrical fire... A friend and I were taking turns driving it back to Los Angeles from Las Vegas, and I kept smelling hot plastic. My friend (age 70 & can't smell), said I "was imagining things, and just keep driving". About 20 minutes later, the headlights went out on Hwy 138 in the middle of the Mojave Desert, and I felt my left foot getting hot, and the car was completely full of waxy smoke! I had to stamp out a small fire in the carpet by the hi-lo headlight beam switch, which had started due to a loose plug. Close call!! !! ! It had melted to the point where I couldn't fix the connection in the middle of the night with no tools, so we drove it all the rest of the way with the blinkers on and the headlight power disconnected for safety. I have also caught a CFL light bulb in the house, which was starting to smoke and drip burning plastic in another room! My wife didn't smell it, and the smoke alarm didn't go off 'til I pulled the burning bulb out.

Charles

Pharyn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

Perfumes, no matter how expensive or supposedly good, all smell like some putrid chemical mix to me, most flowers too. For years I just thought people were crazy liking those smells or perhaps it was an "acquired taste" type of thing.