Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

Question is in the title.

I keep hearing that this is popular amongst those with autism, but I do not know what they mean by it. If someone could explain it--or better yet, direct me to an audio or audio/visual link that demonstrates this--that would be greatly appreciated.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:53 pm

You know how when someone is teasing you and they kind of sound like they're singing?

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 9:59 pm

Sing song means that the tone and pitch of the voice fluctuates a lot, kind of like how it would if you were singing.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:00 pm

So is it possible to have both a sing-song AND a monotonous voice...or is it one or the other?

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
So is it possible to have both a sing-song AND a monotonous voice...or is it one or the other?

Generally, I think it's one or the other. I suppose it's possible to have both, but probably not at the same time. Monotone usually means flat and without change.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

My voice vacillates between monotone and sing-song. It can't make up its mind about whether to be subanimated or superanimated, and there is no in-between.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:28 pm

I think I am usually monotone. I still don't think I am sure of what a sing-song voice is, but I may have that sometimes. Usually monotone though.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 4:24 am

to me, a sing song voice is a voice that's great to listen to if it sings; not nessecarely a voice that alternates a lot, but one that has a comfortable 'tembre', or overtone series.
in my opinion, Anouk (a female singer) lacks this type of voice, for example, but the singers of Blackmore's night and Evanescense, for example, do.

this is also the reason why i dont usually sing, even though i'm quite proficient (not my own words); i dont think i have the voice to sing. it doesn't have the solistic tembre, but more the sound of a harmonizing accompanying part.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 8:11 am

According to my Dad, my voice is slightly less animated than usual, and I have a bit of 'harshness' to my voice too. My Mom says it's normal.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

My voice is also kind of monotone for the most, but I detect it and make an effort bringing a melody into it. The information reaches the listener much better like that, and it is also fascinating to overdo it. Then it becomes funny.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

I'm reminded of some videos certain females on here have posted. I don't remember who it was or if it was, in fact, just one person. I just remember being fascinated by the way she/they sang little notes when saying things like "umm". I thought it was cute. :D

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

I have this lol.

But people always say that autistics are robotic.

I don't know. Can't explain it. People call me *animated*, if that helps.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

I definitely have the sing-song voice. I put stresses in a lot of words as I am talking. Makes me sound like I have an accent. So a lot of people think I am fresh-of-the-bought and not born-and-raised in the US. lol.
My sister is the one who told me that it was my stressing and alternating tone.
She says it becomes x100 worse when I try to present my poetry (her poetry events she drags me too). However, people in those events don't know my normal voice and don't know it changed at all; so they view it as intended and not anxiety. o.O;

Tankgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2012, 9:32 am

My son has the singsong voice. I looked every where for a video of someone with that type of speech but could not find anything. So I made a video myself. You can see/hear it on YouTube. Just type in autism singsong voice, or type in my user name amysue80. If non of those work,I will gladly share the link to it through pm,as this site is not letting me share the link here since I am new. If you google autism singsong voice,my sons video will pop up also.hope this is helpful.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:04 am

If you don't mind this example being in German, the boy they show from 5:50/5:55 onwards speaks in a sing song voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfsvRp7uF2o

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 11:59 am

It's like the kids are using in this video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5aTstxguBY[/youtube]

Like Ring Around The Rosey

Sort of a cross between singing and talking. Not like Johnny Cash or anything or like rappers. Maybe a little higher than you normally speak in, stretch the words out longer, and use a sort of cadance when you speak/sing.

Not exactly singing but not exactly talking either.

Like when kids do the clapping thing to Miss Mary Mac.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com