Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mullion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2006, 7:21 am

Anyone on here familiar or currently implementing the GF/CF diet with their family?
Our daughter has been on the diet on/off for 9 months. She has been practically wheat/gluten free since November 2004 as she & myself are celiacs. She has a dairy 'intolerance' which but not (as far as we know) a dairy allergy. It's just a case of every few months the milk will get too much & she'll break out in eczema & we'll take her off it again for 2-3 months if poss. Her behaviour is much better when she is GF/CF, but I've found she starts to not put on or even lose a pound of two of weight after a month or so of being milk free. Being off wheat/gluten is fine as because she is a celiac she has gained a stone & a half since she came off it. Prior to this, she had stayed at 3 stone for 2 years, whic by 8 years of age is not a good thing. Her Dr has not acknowledged that she is a celiac (but I know it runs in our family) & even said it doesn't matter if a child between the ages of 6-8 years doesn't gain a pound of weight! This is even more ridiculous as she was 3 stone at 8 years & then once she came off wheat/gluten she gained 9 pounds in 3 months & now even though she is only 4 stone 5 lbs at 10, this is still a vast improvement and as she is only 127 cm in height (short stature is another factor of celiac disease due to malnutrition obviously affecting weight & height growth) she is prob. about right now. Anyway, the main concern I have is the slow or not much weight gain at all when cows milk is cut out also - anyone else have this experience with cows milk. :?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 1:57 pm

There are alot of B vit. in grains...I know they are inportant in for cognitive process and mood...what do you eat to get these vit.....Just curious.....I have considered this diet but am not sure I could give up my 12 grain breads...I crave them so much(alot of diabetes in my family and alcoholism which I believe is linked to carb craving)

Have you tried alternative milks...goat, for example,does that cause the same problems?Have you tried bananas and citrus for weight gain?They are healthy but full of carbs.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:34 pm

If you're worried about growth and calcium intake, try dark greens like Spinach. Then you need to make sure she's getting vit D so that she can absorb the calcium. My son is almost a vegetarian, and has gone through some soy milk phases. We find ways to make sure he is getting animal fat in his diet. There are soy milks that have the B vitamins and calcium.
I would be careful with starch substitutes, rice might burn off too fast. Try oat-based foods.
We don't do the wheat-free stuff but my son's pickiness has lead me to find substantive foods.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 4:12 pm

making certain that you get all of your vitamins is a necessity ! check out some of the GFCF diet websites~ they have great information about what vitamins are in certain fruits & veggies .
we tried the GFCF diet here, but found that the only one it made any difference for was me. i lost 10 pounds just not eating dairy & wheat. ( don't think i ate all that much, though).....

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 1:40 am

I've recently put myself on the GFCF diet and I feel great!

I've subsituted corn tortillas for bread,soymilk for regular milk and I just eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegatable along with lean meats such as turkey and plenty of fish (I watch out for fish with high amounts of mercury cause that supposedly can alter behavior aswell)

It may just be cause I'm watching what I eat better than before,But since I've been on this diet I've lost 45 Lbs. (20.45 Kg ,3.2 Stones)