Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

i mean, if they're made by other aspies? would you get upset if someone posts aspies jokes on this forum, for instance?

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 3:30 pm

Honestly I've never read any Aspie specific jokes so I am unsure how they'd be received. How about an example?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

I admit to liking this shirt:

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

The Big Bang Theory makes Aspie jokes without ever referencing to the term, and I find it to be pretty hilarious.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

john, you wanted an example?
how did evolution started? well, in the beginning there was only a handful of monkeys and one of them was an aspie. he got obssesed with the fruits on higher branches, so he pulled himself to his two feet and inspected the fruits.
later, he told his NT friend, "do you know the fruits on higher branches are smaller, due to the branches being lighter, which confirmed the conclusion of natural selection....
he went on and on, till the nt monkey screamed, "leave me aloooone." in monkey language it sounded like this, "seek, meek, geeeeeek."
he ran from the aspie but the aspie, who thought this was an invitation for a race, chased him. finally, the nt monkey realized he'd get away much faster if he ran on two legs.
and that's how evolution started.
here's another one.
a meteor was going to hit earth. an aspie man predicted this and went to warn the authorities. they didn't like his flat voice and they way he paced when he walked, so they dismissed him. laughing, they showed him a sign that read, "we shoot every third nerd, the second one just left."
the aspie, sure he was about to get shot, bolted out of there, but his conscience wouldn't allow him to let people die, so he got the flying saucer he built singleheandedly in his father's wine celler when he was eleven years old, and got the people in the danger zone in it. there were thousands of NTs and one aspie girl. the plan was to stay in space till the meteor hits and then return to mother eart.
the aspie, being an aspie, lost his way and landed in a planet with breathable air and conditions similiar to earth. everyone got out and the aspie girl said, "how come the planet didn't look blue? don't you know our planet is mainly made of water? do you know the amount of salt in the sea is enough to fill ten thousand boxes? blah, blah, blaaaaah."
the NTs wanted to kill her, so when they found two moons in the sky and realized they were on another planet, they hurried back to the flying saucer and took off without her. the girl, suffering from over stimulation, walked like a zombie and didn't realize she was left behind.
she lived on this planet for two months, got a job in computers, dated a few losers, etc.
one day, she stopped an alien cop on the street and told him she'd like to return to the US.
"the US?" the cop asked. "What's that?"
the aspie started with a long explanation in a monotone voice and the alien cop got mad. when aliens get mad, their eyes glow in a sharp yellow light. the girl saw the night lightening up.
that's when the aspie girl realized she was on another planet.
like this one? believe it or not, i'm using it as a the start of a plot for my next book.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:18 pm

You might be an aspie if you want to go skydiving, but decide against it because you will have to talk to someone on the plane.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:27 pm

You might be an Aspie if the first thing on your to do list is to update your to do list.

Buck-oh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Artros wrote:
The Big Bang Theory makes Aspie jokes without ever referencing to the term, and I find it to be pretty hilarious.

You might want to reconsider your opinion of Sheldon. Sheldon's character is an overachieving narcissist, not an aspie (with a few OCDish behaviors). He has an inflated sense of self importance. He's not confused by social rules, he just simply has no need for them unless he can exploit or directly benefit from them. He takes his friends for granted simply because he can.

Sheldon is a great character because as much as an audience wants to see his ego get knocked down for thinking he's better than he really is, audiences also love it when he gets away with it. Sometimes you want to see Sheldon lose, other times, there's a wicked satisfaction in watching him win.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

Buck-oh wrote:
Artros wrote:

You might want to reconsider your opinion of Sheldon. Sheldon's character is an overachieving narcissist, not an aspie (with a few OCDish behaviors). He has an inflated sense of self importance. He's not confused by social rules, he just simply has no need for them unless he can exploit or directly benefit from them. He takes his friends for granted simply because he can.

Sheldon is a great character because as much as an audience wants to see his ego get knocked down for thinking he's better than he really is, audiences also love it when he gets away with it. Sometimes you want to see Sheldon lose, other times, there's a wicked satisfaction in watching him win.

Sheldon certainly is a lot more than just an Aspie. He is a physicist and a bit of a geek, and there are several things (like his germophobia) that are completely unrelated to Asperger's.

On the other hand, there are so many details about him that I can very strongly relate to, and that I feel are Asperger's related. Routines and order are extremely important to him. He is literal and has problems with social situations, and not simply through lack of caring: he is sometimes honestly flummoxed by the behaviour of other people. There is a lot of kindness in him. I believe he genuinely cares for his friends.

Examples:
-The episode where Penny and Leonard fight over Penny's friend sleeping in her apartment and he shows to be completely incapable of dealing with it. I would react in exactly the same way, and I understand his attempts to escape from the overload.
-In one of the more recent episodes, the entire group is eating at the Cheesecake Factory and mocking various people. In response to some quip, Sheldon says something which could be interpreted as another quip...but to him it was just a serious comment.
-He has helped most (if not all) of the other characters on the show at some point. Howard when he crashed the Mars Rover, Raj when he was in danger of being deported, Penny when she broke her arm (even trying to comfort her) or when she needed money, and Leonard when he blew up the elevator.

Sheldon, in my mind, is a collection of weird things about physicists. But, whether they set out to make him one or not (it could be that it's the same kind of thing as The Story of the Curious Dog in the Nighttime), this has made him quite a believable Aspie.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

I love aspie jokes. I don't care if NTs make them too.

poet4peace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2011, 6:08 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
i mean, if they're made by other aspies? would you get upset if someone posts aspies jokes on this forum, for instance?

Probably not if someone posted them on this forum but I hate when people joke about it who don't have ASD. I also hate when they stereotype us into a group like all aspy's do this or it must be that aspergers. I don't mind if my friends say it must be my aspergers kicking in if I do something strange because I think it means they feel comfortable talking about it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

I think it depends on the kind of joke. It's like how, if someone tells me a Yo Mamma joke, I don't think they actually hate my mom; but if they make fun of my mom, I'm liable to get pretty mad. It's one of those tricky things--telling apart joking around from vicious joking around.

Anyway, most Aspie jokes strike me as funny. I was once hanging out with a friend while rocking persistently; eventually he suggested we hook me up to a generator and power the TV. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 10:00 pm

I like them, but not the intend is to be hurtful. (I actually don't like ANYTHING if they intend is to be hurtful) I like it better when people with AS make them though because then they are sort of laughing at themselves.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 10:16 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
john, you wanted an example?

Or another?

Louise: "How did you get here?"

Johnny: "Well, basically, there was this little dot, right? And the dot went bang and the bang expanded. Energy formed into matter, matter cooled, matter lived, the amoeba to fish, to fish to fowl, to fowl to frog, to frog to mammal, the mammal to monkey, to monkey to man, amo amas amat, quid pro quo, memento mori, ad infinitum, sprinkle on a little bit of grated cheese and leave under the grill till Doomsday."

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 10:42 pm

Callista wrote:
Anyway, most Aspie jokes strike me as funny. I was once hanging out with a friend while rocking persistently; eventually he suggested we hook me up to a generator and power the TV. :)

This I find funny :)

The examples earlier I didn't. I found them too be too forced to be funny.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm

You might be an Aspie if you looked in the dictionary for the word ridonculous.

:|