Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
jojobean wrote:
I am still waiting for the bill to reach Obama's desk signed. "lowest domestic spending since Esienhower" This doesnt sound good for medicare...I already have to go out of county to find a doctor that will take medicare. Because of my military insurance, tricare, I am required to have medicare as primary. Cuts to medicare effect more than old folks, they affect those serving in uniform and their families. Most non-military dont know that. The VA hires the bottom rung of doctors, so that is not the best option either.

I feel bad about the state of VA health care. :cry:

ya it really sucks. Did you know they do forced drug testing on troops and when complications arise from it...like a life threatening auto-immune disease that they have the rest of their lives, then the goverment denies them medical care.
Troops are just robots in the flesh to the governent...when they are no longer useful, they throw them away

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 9:30 pm

jojobean wrote:
ya it really sucks. Did you know they do forced drug testing on troops and when complications arise from it...like a life threatening auto-immune disease that they have the rest of their lives, then the goverment denies them medical care.
Troops are just robots in the flesh to the governent...when they are no longer useful, they throw them away

What kind of drug test doesn't involve taking a biological sample back to the lab? The most common ones a breath, blood, urine, hair, and stool is possible too.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 12:08 am

Artros wrote:
As an economist, I'm mostly interested in whether or not the markets took the possibility of default seriously. If they do, the US government is going to start paying more for its debt, which isn't good for them.

Considering the very moderate drop in the DJIA last week in the face of unfavorable economic data, it doesn't look like the market was worried much. In the longer run, failure to raise the debt limit would probably have helped the US credit rating - it's the continued deficit that's the real threat.

Quote:
On the other hand, I find the issue to be baffling. I'm sure I didn't get the full news story, but the way I read it, everything was left very vague. It didn't even discuss whether the savings would be through a tax increase or through cuts in spending.

Boehner's powerpoint slides lay it out pretty well, though you'll have to subtract the partisan spin:

http://www.powderhouse.com/~wdew/articl ... 110731.pdf

Short version: beyond the first $900 billion, the additional $1200 billion in cuts come half from defense, with the other half distributed between discretionary spending and medicare, unless the yet to be determined bipartisan committee's recommendations are passed instead.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 12:15 am

So, when is the senate vote (if not already done) and will it be a 11th hour pass or still risk failure?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 12:56 am

2012, Iraq has not asked us to stay. Under current agreements, we have to remove all troops, and all private contractors. This is being marketed as military cuts. In exchange, the debt limit goes up.

The savings from Medicaid come in ten years, from projections, which will be changed, in exchange, the debt limit goes up.

The $2,000,000,000,000, will be spent before the next election, raised by selling bonds. That is on top of some five trillion government income.

What was not said is Federal unemployment ends 2012, in five months, and then it is only 26 weeks from the States. No need for 99 weeks, the recession is over. Some four million people are now drawing extended benefits. It is by tiers, and no one qualifys for the next tier.

That was a lot being spent locally.

I think the end was when government ran up the debt to three times government income. That was back under Bush. We have been living in a Post End economy ever since.

Nothing on jobs, housing, local spending, go out and plant a garden.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 2:32 am

psychohist wrote:
Artros wrote:
As an economist, I'm mostly interested in whether or not the markets took the possibility of default seriously. If they do, the US government is going to start paying more for its debt, which isn't good for them.

Considering the very moderate drop in the DJIA last week in the face of unfavorable economic data, it doesn't look like the market was worried much. In the longer run, failure to raise the debt limit would probably have helped the US credit rating - it's the continued deficit that's the real threat.

Well, the entire episode does show again how serious a problem the deficit is. It's going to blow up in all our faces at some point in the future.

I guess you are correct in that failure to raise the debt limit would not be an immediate problem. It would not necessarily lead to a default, it would just lead to the US government completely bogging down.

Quote:
On the other hand, I find the issue to be baffling. I'm sure I didn't get the full news story, but the way I read it, everything was left very vague. It didn't even discuss whether the savings would be through a tax increase or through cuts in spending.

Boehner's powerpoint slides lay it out pretty well, though you'll have to subtract the partisan spin:

http://www.powderhouse.com/~wdew/articl ... 110731.pdf

Short version: beyond the first $900 billion, the additional $1200 billion in cuts come half from defense, with the other half distributed between discretionary spending and medicare, unless the yet to be determined bipartisan committee's recommendations are passed instead.[/quote]

Hmm. Sad to see a complete exemption from tax raises. It's similar to the situation here, with political parties just outright claiming that taxes destroy the economy. Thank you for the link, though.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

02 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

Well he signed it. for better or for worse, it is done.

I was kinda hoping that they couldn't get it together and Obama would enact the 14th amendment instead of them just ramming something through congress that is not totally in the best interests of americans.

I have learned one lesson though...if this is what is to come from the Tea party, I might have to leave the country if they get elected next year.

Did you know that bill they tried that failed in congress, it was going to do away with all social programs and privitize medicare.

@ John Browning, The drug testing I speak of is the Anthrax vacine which contains squaline and is an immune excellerant which causes debilitating auto-immune diseases. The drug has been tested on troops since desert storm. It is the cause of gulf war syndrome