Page 4 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

LiverpoolDave
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jul 2019, 6:56 am

Henbane wrote:
Yes. I think I live in the past a lot. The future is impossible to see, and the present isn't so great. So I think about the past.

I seem to spend time in my mind in several stages of my life. In my primary school years, in my university years, and my late 20's.

I think my memory for my childhood in particular is quite good, although not for my teenage years so much. And my memory for the events of the last 8 or so years is quite poor.

So I suppose it is nostalgia, although it's not always fond memories that I have. I think I also have nostalgia for times when I haven't lived, like a past when people were closer to the land and nature's cycles, and there were communities that supported each other. Today's world can make little sense to me. It's materialistic, selfish, shallow, and quite bleak.

I'm the same in that I get nostalgic both for my own past and for a general past, a golden age in which I never lived, so I end up watching a lot of old films and shows. Like you I have little sympathy for or understanding of the present, I feel perhaps I was born at the wrong time and would give anything to go back to an age that seems simpler and less mean.