Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

I want to now, but I can't. Also in my country I don't even think you live away when you go to college. Well, mine was right round the corner :wink:

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 3:37 am

19. It was a dormitory, where I had my own room, but shared the kitchen and bathroom with two other students.

mimsytheborogove
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

Late twenties. I bought a house and still secretly wish I could move back home...

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2011, 6:14 am

I moved out aged 20 years and 5 months. I didn't have a choice.
I never went back. I have my own (rented) flat now and I really loved making it my own, it is my place of sanity.
I rented places with friends for a few years when I first moved out, but quickly discovered that housemates (especially boys) do my head in. Although saying this, I was and am very grateful to the friends who "took me under their wing" and showed me how to run a home and live independently of adults.
Maybe you could share with some people for a short time to learn these skills? (Be warned: housemates are messy and loud and inconsiderate. Try to see it as an experiment, or a temporary residential "training programme". Once you have learned what you need to learn you can move on and live life more peacefully.)

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2011, 7:45 am

When I moved in with somebody .(age 21)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

I moved out when I was almost 20. My parents and my brothers and their friends all moved my stuff from my room up to the house I was moving into. It was a one bedroom home with a huge kitchen, living room and dining room. It was a 1910 home owned by my grandparents and it had poor insulation and out dated windows because they were original to the home and the dining room was the added on part from the 1970's. The roof also leaked around the fire place so the ceiling dropped around it and the handle on the bathroom sink faucet was busted so I never used the sink and plus it was clogged so I used the kitchen sink to brush my teeth and hands and the washer was broken so I washed my clothes at my parents house or my grand parents.

My uncle sucked because he didn't want to maintain the house which he was the landlord of and I didn't know how to do any maintenance. Plus I didn't have the money for a roofer nor for a new washer. I was so glad when I got out of there.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 7:12 am

K-R-X wrote:
The week I turned 18. I tried going back and staying with them for a couple weeks after that and never tried it again. It was horrible.

They helped me 'get on my feet' after the first couple of months. I was living out of my car because I decided apartments were a "waste of money".

Ah, memories.
haha, this sounds like me! i took me about a month to realize living in a shoe box in the middle of nowhere was so much better than living in their palace. (i moved out at 16, back at 17 for one month.)

i lived in a s**thole with $3 a day for food. government was paying me "living at home" rate for teens because i didn't know i could tell them my parents kicked me out and that would give me more money. it was still the best decision i ever made. stress free in comparison.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 10:56 pm

Well, I moved away for college at 18, then tried various attempts at living on my own when I got back from college at 22. It took about 3 yrs till something stuck, though.

Austerlust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2011, 6:45 pm

I moved out when I was 19 and I changed between living away from home, either alone or with others and heading back home for periods as well. Now I have lived back home since nov. 2008.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 6:46 am

Moved out the first time at 18 to live in college dorms, moved back in a year later when I got kicked out of school.

Got a job, saved up and moved to another city at 20, moved back (for a year and a half, at their encouragement) a year later when a great job opportunity opened up back home.

Job wasn't my cup of tea, found a new job and a girlfriend and moved in with her. That lasted until we both lost our jobs about a year ago. Managed to hold onto our place for six months, but then the unemployment payments ran out and we had to move back in with our respective parents.

Found a new (wonderful, but not high-paying) job four months ago, now saving up to move out again. LA rent is ridiculous. Hoping she finds a job soon, so we can afford to get another place together rather than signing a lease on place where she can't live with me.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 6:50 am

I moved out about a month ago after I bought my own place (2 bedroom townhouse-ish unit thing). I'm almost 28.

The place is still standing but I'm finding the place was built/maintained on the cheap as I get to know the house's idiosyncrasies.

Not sure if I'm eating properly either, maybe that's why I've been tired lately.

VelvetBat
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2011, 4:20 pm

I moved out of my parents house in September 2009.

Since I am disabled for work, my only source of income is from my disability pension. But in the Netherlands, you need to be at least 21 before you can get a minimum income. Before that, I wouldn't be able to live on my own financially.
So I had to wait untill I turned 21 and then I signed up to rent a small apartment and in September 2009 I finally got my current apartment.

It was hard to live on my own, especially the first months. Everything was new to me and I all had to do it by my own. (especially the moving out part; my parents helped painting my walls and getting my furniture in since I can't lift heavy stuff and such) The administration was most troublesome for me. But at the end all things went okay. Now not everything is going smooth, but I can manage it quite well.
However, in the first year when I was living on my own, it suddenly became too overwhelming for me. All the stuff I had to organize and all the bureaucracy, paperwork and things I needed to arrange... So I went in a really severe depression because of that.

For me the first year was most difficult because I didn't know what to expect and I had all kinds of bills suddenly coming in and stuff like that. But now I know which annual bills I can expect in which months, and I have made a sheet in Excel to keep track of my bills and finances. The list really helps me to keep things organised.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

18 the first time. I was tossed out with 300 bucks in my bank account for smoking dope in the house. Moved back in a year later after proving I could actually survive on my own (and quit smoking dope).

Moved back out on my own at 20 to move in with a girlfriend (back on dope too ~ her mother's boyfriend was a dealer), for two years. Moved back in when we broke up, then left on my own again at 24, because they were going through a divorce and I didn't want to be around for that crap.

Haven't been back since. Survive or starve were basically my only options. It's amazing what you can manage to do when you've got no other choice. Well, not that amazing really. I haven't starved to death yet, but that's not saying a whole lot. I've made it to the age of 51 so far. Married (for the second time now) for sixteen years, with three kids. We're all still here and doing okay. Not as good as I'd like, but okay. The rest is yet unwritten.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

I was out at eighteen after dropping out of my freshman year of college. As for living on my own successfully, probably not until my early twenties. I had to run wild a while, and make lots of bad decisions before I could start making better ones I guess.

J4mes

08 May 2012, 7:17 am

Still at home and fast approaching 30 *sigh*, I think I've been ready to move out for a few years now but I'm absolutely hopeless at saving money added to the fact the my brain can't process such an upheaval. I'm very lucky though because I have awesome parents so they don't mind me still living there. To be honest I suspect in a small way they like having me around, I'm the youngest kid and my siblings moved out years ago and I've always been the nice, well-behaved one!

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2012, 7:27 am

I moved out to stay with mates when I was 15, couldn't live with my alcoholic mother and negative siblings and step father so felt I had to do what was best for me.