Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 3:33 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
After watching my dad drive, I am totally confident that I am a safe driver. I don't drive 20+ mph over the speed limit, I don't pull out in front of people, I don't speed up for yellow lights, I don't flip people off, and I don't take up 3 parking spots.

That sounds suspiciously like my dad... :mrgreen:

He says he does it to make me look good. I wish I knew if he was being sarcastic or not. :lol:

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 4:05 am

Technically I know how to drive a car. I also know how to take tests well. I actually got a driver's license within 4 weeks of getting a learner's permit. Except that doesn't mean I can actually drive a car. Not in the city anyway. I get distracted, I get lost, I panic when it's busy, I lose control completely when over stressed. I can still drive if there's somebody sitting beside me, pointing out all signs and traffic lights and tell me when to turn and stop. Don't think that really counts as I can drive, though. Maybe someday they'll come out with co-pilot cars that'll let computer remind me everything and take control if I freak out. :)

UnnaturalDisaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2011, 5:06 am

I too have moderate classic autism and I absolutely love driving. It is one of the few things that I am able to do "normally" when the conditions are right.

I have always found being in a car to be soothing, but I think it is the fact that driving is governed by a set of rules is what makes it so pleasurable for me. It's predictable and I always know what we should be doing because I have memorised the Highway Code and know what to do in each situation... even being confronted with the poor driving of others, though we must admit that this can still be distressing.

I can only drive on "good days" when I am generally comfortable and content, and I usually have someone with me when I am driving in order that they can take control if the experience becomes too much for me to cope with.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 5:29 am

in most situations, i can drive normally.
my split-focus allows me to watch both in front of me, the rear-vieuw mirror and the speedometer, flashing attention to whereever a change occurs.
using this skill, i can drive safely without spending any real energy, and can keep going for hours, provided i have a gps/map reading passager.

however, once i get into a larger town or just heavy traffic, there is so much going on that i keep flashing everywhere at once; spending a weeks worth of energy in minutes and not being able to really 'see' anything anymore.

the biggest factor that kept me from getting my liscence was that very same split-focus skill though.
my instructor kept telling me to turn my head towards the mirrors to look behind me; while doing that actually made me *less* aware, but he didn't believe that.
training myself into that forced headmovement took almost a year, and i lost it within a week of actually getting the liscence...

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2011, 7:29 am

I have never really had any problems driving I love driving it calms me down and I find it relaxing. But I did have major problems with coordination usuing the gears with the clutch and it took me ages to learn and hours of frustration and endless arguements with my Dad but in the end I got the hang of it. I now have had my manual licence for over 18 years and Id never give it up for the world. I got my licence first go I was shocked yet happy that Ive achieved something I never thought Id never achieve.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:40 am

WOW! A DMV recently stopped givig driving tests at the DMV because so many crashed into the building!

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2011, 7:51 am

Lol.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

I generally enjoy driving and I have no problem with the matter of driving itself [and I drive manual; automatics don't do much for me] but I have a few issues...

a) Reverse parallel parking. Couldn't do it when I was getting lessons, was the area that I almost failed in during my driver's test, and I don't even attempt it now. I find it hard to judge left or right and the angle, so I rather not run the risk of hitting someone.

b) Navigation. I get lost very easily. I bought a GPS last year and I've been loving it.

I used to speed quite a bit and on occasion I still do, but it's been a few years since I last received a speeding ticket.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

I don't drive for numerous reasons. First of all I have bad coordination skills. I don't even know if I will be able to stay on the road. I also have trouble with many things going on at once. I get overwhelmed. I also hallucinate and I see people running in front of me all the time. If I was the driver I would keep on avoiding imaginary people. I already tell whoever is driving to watch out for them. Also when I am hearing things sometimes it is the government and they tell me they are following our car and if I was the driver I would probably try outrunning them and going everywhere. I also would get lost constantly. I guess that can be fixed with a GPS. My reaction skills is also lacking. My time to react is very long and I don't notice things right away even if its right in front of me. I also don't have a good sense of speed and distance. I would never survive in a parking lot. I always think the car is right on top of me and afraid that I will crash into it. I wouldn't be able to park the car either. Backing up is bad as well. I wouldn't be a safe driver at all. In fact I would probably be in many accidents if I drove. I doubt I will ever be able to drive a car.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 9:05 am

I have a driving license since I was 17, the earliest permitted age here for having one. I was so clumsy I had to take extra lessons of driving. There was no choice of an automatic transmission at that time. Initially I liked when someone instructed me as when to turn or when to take over, but later I learned to do it all by myself. When I go to an unfamiliar place I use a good city map and when I feel it's necessary I stop and look at the map once again so I can identify my current location and look for the best route to the destination.

I think splitting focus at the age of 17 is not really an issue. It would be exponentially harder in a later age to learn to split focus when it comes to driving. Actually, as you learn to focus on what is important when you drive, it eventually becomes your nature. However, it takes time to gather experience.

It's interesting that for many years I hated to listen to any kind of music or radio station when I was driving. After practicing on unfrequented highways finally I become able to manage it. Despite this, I still have a problem with someone trying to conduct a conversation with me while I'm driving. I'm truly afraid of such situations, because when this person upsets me, I can become practically so unpredictable and mad behind the wheel that would scare both of us to hell...

ArtisticOne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2011, 9:06 am

It's not that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to driving... It's just that I have anxiety and I panic every time I get behind the wheel. (I've been afraid of driving for a long time now, but a terrible car accident turned the fear into a phobia.)

Killman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2011, 9:27 am

To the frustration of my dad, I cannot drive. I just can't. My anxiety levels skyrocket if he even mentions it. I am far too scared among many other reasons. :oops:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

As a driver in one of the worst cities for rude and heavy traffic; Los Angeles, I've had over 25 years experience with a relatively excellent record. With that said, I do have a lot of trouble at noncontrolled intersections such as two intersecting parking aisles with cross traffic, and body/face language is needed for right-of-way. I tend always to offer to yield to the other traffic whether or not it's their turn, but if they also yield, then I start to go, and they do to... It can be comical or startling. We do have the "car my right has the right of way" law, but not everyone understands or obeys that.

Otherwise, I don't really have any fears or problems in any type of driving situation. I drive canyons, dangerous mountain highways, and on crowded horn-blowing arrogant Beverly Hills roads, and in rude rush-hour freeway traffic... And all of the above in cars, trucks, and on motorcycles.

Charles

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

kx250rider wrote:
As a driver in one of the worst cities for rude and heavy traffic; Los Angeles, I've had over 25 years experience with a relatively excellent record. With that said, I do have a lot of trouble at noncontrolled intersections such as two intersecting parking aisles with cross traffic, and body/face language is needed for right-of-way. I tend always to offer to yield to the other traffic whether or not it's their turn, but if they also yield, then I start to go, and they do to... It can be comical or startling. We do have the "car my right has the right of way" law, but not everyone understands or obeys that.

Oh, man, I have that all the time. It can be so stupidly funny sometimes. Personally, I find that most people expect me to take right-of-way, even when I don't necessarily have it. A guy of my age on a bicycle is generally assumed to be very rude and assertive in traffic, and I try to take advantage of that.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
WOW! A DMV recently stopped givig driving tests at the DMV because so many crashed into the building!

That's... ironic. :lol:

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

I drive, but find it incredibly difficult. It took me 4 years to learn!
I find that I'm better driving when there's just me, and I have music playing.

I HATE driving to places I don't know, or in big cities, and so have to follow google maps beforehand to know where to go and what I'll see! I try to avoid driving at busy times, and so have to leave home at 7 to get to work before there's too much traffic.
One of the most difficult things is that I have to stick to the law, no option, and everyone else does crazy things and speeds and stuff- that drives me nuts.

Personally, I find it less stressful, normally, to drive than to travel any other way- can't cope at all with public transport, incapable of riding a bike without falling off, and hate walking round where there's loads of people...