Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

Does it lessen with age? I get it in one ear at a time. It doesn't last *too* long. It's irritating when it happens. My ear feels like it's getting plugged and then there's that ring. I think I must get it about once a day.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

Sorry, I can't hear you because I have this terrible ringing in my ears - could you repeat the question?

Last edited by Grisha on 02 Aug 2011, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

I can't tell if I have it or not, because I can't tell if the ringing noises I hear actually exist (like the electronic ringing noise that comes out of old TVs and AC adapters plugged into electrical outlets, which are too quiet for most people to hear) or if most of them don't.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2011, 7:29 pm

I used to have it, it went away... :shrug:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

Jory, you probably don't. Because it's easy to tell it's coming from within.

Makayla– I hope mine goes away too!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

It happened about once a week or once a month when I was younger. Now it's only like once a year. Last time it happened to me was over a month ago. I slapped my ear and it stopped. :lol:

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm

Very, very slight. But hey, I'm a musician, comes with the passion. :D

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

I've always wondered what those transient spells are. I.e. a giant, deadly blood clot that just managed to squeeze through that part of my brain instead of killing me?

Since I've been on a new med (doxepin) I've had continuous ringing in both ears, a lot more loudly than ever. I haven't gotten around to asking my doctor about it, though, so I don't know if it's really related to that or not.

(I think tinnitus usually refers to the continuous kind, BTW.)

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2011, 12:31 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Does it lessen with age? I get it in one ear at a time. It doesn't last *too* long. It's irritating when it happens. My ear feels like it's getting plugged and then there's that ring. I think I must get it about once a day.

Tinnitus is continuous, and I have had it for as long as I can remember. I also get what you described. You perceive a temporary loss in hearing, followed by a fairly loud ringing that can last seconds or minutes. I believe this is a symptom of the cilia inside the cochlea, bending/breaking permanently; the process of hearing loss. I have gotten used to the sound, and don't even realize it is there until it comes up in a discussion.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

Yes I have it but I only notice it at nighttime when I'm in bed I've had it for as long as I remember.

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2011, 7:41 pm

I've had tinnitus for at least 15 years, and mine only gets worse. Of course there are certain things you are supposed to avoid so it doesn't get worse, including alcohol, noise, and certain medications. No fun!

I have to have constant background noise or I can hear it. Every once in a while my left ear will get this sharp pain and ringing really loudly for a few seconds, then it goes back to normal levels. I'm also slowly going deaf, just like my dad and his siblings have done. One aunt went completely deaf but had cochlear implants and can hear again!

I hope yours gets better!

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

Eek! I don't wanna go deaf!
Is cilia damage normal? I don't really listen to loud noise, and my music is always very quiet.
What is the non continuous ringing called?

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

As far as going deaf is concerned, I highly doubt that tinnitus causes deafness(disclaimer, I'm not a doctor). I've had it my whole life and my hearing is just as acute now as it was when I was a child.(I'm 30) Also, I am not certain, but I'm fairly sure it decreases in intensity with age.(I have the ringing less frequently than when I was a child.)