Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2011, 8:43 pm

Erm, I wonder if any of you are really sensitive to colours?

I had been hating orange and red since young because they hurt my eyes for being bright.
But recently, I became ill, and I suddenly find green disgusting whilst red is an ok.
I find it really weird!

Does it have anything to do with Asperger's?

I only know that people with Asperger's are more likely to be Synesthetic / have perfect pitch etc.
(I'm synesthetic to colours)

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

Red and other brighter colors. When the room is dark and a bright commercial comes on TV it bothers me!

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2011, 1:31 am

BillyIdolFan217 wrote:
Red and other brighter colors. When the room is dark and a bright commercial comes on TV it bothers me!

Looks like I'm not the only one with problems with red.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 1:53 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
BillyIdolFan217 wrote:

Looks like I'm not the only one with problems with red.

Not at all! I like to wear red, but I don't like it when it's red light or glowing

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 4:07 am

I don't have synesthesia (though I find it rather fascinating) and colors generally don't "bother" me, but I have very, very good color perception.

Here is a test of color perception. I just took it and got a perfect score, as I usually have in the past.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2011, 7:38 am

I like pink, but I can't stand the fuchsia which is the closest colour to pink in MSN Messenger by default.

Samara1991
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

I took the test and got a low score which really doesnt surprise me. I have a lot of issues with hues. I can remember at school getting into an argument because I was making a poster using tissue paper and according to everyone else I was mixing the gold with the yellow... I couldnt tell because it all looked the same to me!! As far as not liking certain colors I dont really like really bright colors to me when I'm around bright colors its like being over crowded (idk how else to explain it) because of this I tend to wear dark clothing which drives my mom nuts lol

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

I don't think it's an Aspie thing, I think it's an HSP thing (Highly Sensitive Person.) Many (most?) aspies are also HSP.

I have lots of troubles with bright colors. Flourescent lights, day-glo colors. They hurt.

Favorite colors are all earth tones, cause they don't hurt. 90% of my wardrobe is black, brown, olive and maroon. Fall colors like burnt orange and mustard yellow are also ok to these eyes.

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

Do some research into colour therapy. I have been experimenting with colour. Have a look for an image showing the chakra colours. They are: Base chakra (red), Sacral (orange), Solar Plexus (yellow), Heart (green), Throat (blue), Brow (indigo) and Crown (violet).

http://www.magickalmind.com/chakras.htm

When I began I mostly prefered a grey based green - could not handle bright colours either. My life was colourless. I gradually had to make myself wear nicer shades. I felt like I was standing out and I did not want to stand out. Having discovered the chakras I had a plan, to get grounded. I tried red next but it was way too strong. I felt weak and did not feel ready or worthy of such strength.

So I tried yellow next It is very important to find the right shade for you. Start with a shade which is comfortable for you. Each shade has a purpose and specific effect. After wearing yellow for a while (and feeling very exposed I must say) I discovered the wonderful effects of golden yellow. :D

Orange is the next colour chakra down the body but I just was not ready for it so I went to red. So one year later I'm wearing red shorts every day and I'm feeling almost my old empowered self again. (An interesting side note: I feel it might be important to try to have the colour as much over the corresponding chakra as possible without affecting others. eg. wearing a red top makes me angry).

Wearing certain colours together also have interesting effects. I like red shorts and a forest green top. I have also read that the colour worn against the skin is effective but colours visible to the eye are most powerful. Being especially sensitive to visual stimuli I have found that to be the case.

Orange. I'm currently trying to wear an orange t shirt. Apparently it signals sociability to others. :wink: Again, the shade is important. Do not wear fluorescents or bright colours if they disturb you. But as I have tried to describe, I feel it is important to stretch ones comfort zone also.

Good luck. :D

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 1:30 am

Not exactly sensitive in a way, but as a child and teenager, I hated pastel colors. Absolutely hated them. Still do to an extent, it's more muted these days. I'm not sure why I dislike pastel colors, but it just is. Not going to change that.

There are certain colors that mesmerizes me well and brings me to a near-trance state. Pink is one of them, and I'm a guy! It has to be a certain shade of pink and I'd be staring at it for a long time.

My fave colors are Orange, Blue and Purple.

cosmicvoid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2011, 2:52 am

dougn wrote:
Here is a test of color perception. I just took it and got a perfect score, as I usually have in the past.

Wow I got a perfect score too. This must be why people always think purple is blue. Annoys me off cause I like purple. I always wondered if my perception, or more accurately their perception, was different than mine. I guess so!

I also prefer earth tones. I can handle red but dislike orange and yellow unless they are earth forms.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 3:27 am

dougn wrote:

I got 8. My weakness is in the green area, interesting.

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 4:27 am

Sefirato is this the pink you like?

http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isc ... 0l0l0ll0l0

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 6:56 am

I scored 18, which is pretty good, given the highest score (worst) for my age and gender is 1520. I'm an amateur artist and colour is my 'thing' so I'm not surprised I scored well. Some people annoy me when they show they don't have good colour perception. I was trying to find a pair of black boots for my daughter. There was a nice pair on the shelf, but they looked very dark brown. My mum looked at the box and said, 'Look it says they're black, they must be black'. But, compared with the other boots, they were definitely not black. She thought I was being silly, but I was just thinking that they'd look awful with her navy uniform.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:33 am

I scored a 4. :( (thought i had it perfect) was difficult on the laptop with it's oblique angle lightening/darkening

matt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

SuSaNnA wrote:
Erm, I wonder if any of you are really sensitive to colours?

I had been hating orange and red since young because they hurt my eyes for being bright.
But recently, I became ill, and I suddenly find green disgusting whilst red is an ok.
I find it really weird!

Does it have anything to do with Asperger's?

I only know that people with Asperger's are more likely to be Synesthetic / have perfect pitch etc.
(I'm synesthetic to colours)
I don't know if it's related, but looking at the color red does hurt my eyes.