Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:11 am

America, as far as I understand, is a democratic republic. Why then are the main parties called Republicans and Democrats?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
America, as far as I understand, is a democratic republic. Why then are the main parties called Republicans and Democrats?

Why do we spread Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread?

Answer 1: Words mean what Big Brother says they mean and today's "meanings" [I mean the August 4th meanings] for DEMOCRAT REPUBLIC DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICAN cannot be known except by soaking in Big Brother's media.

Answer 2: If you called them by names actually describing their policies and practices, whom could even the media persuade to vote? Would you cast a vote for the "We'll figure out how to fix the mdess when we win" party?

Might as well spread "pale slime with no character" on "flabby white sponge"

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 10:38 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:

We are actually a constitutional republic, and there are democrats and republicans because they actually were one party between 1792 and 1825. They were actually an anti-federalist party.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:

Because... we are a democratic republic!

The first since ancient times, so when the founding fathers got through founding the country and then proceded to gravitate into two opposing parties they gave their parties idealistic names.

Why do european countries like Germany have parties with names like "christian democrat"?

They allows Jews and atheists, and they are not out to make the country into a theocracy like Iran. So what does adjective "Christian" in their name have to do with anything? Are they opposing themselves to UN christian democrats? Or are they opposing themselves to Undemocratic Christians?