Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm

Has anyone else been prescribed this medication?

It's in the same class as Zyprexa and Seroquel. One of the side effects for these drugs is sedation. Zyprexa and Seroquel never sedated me, but Geodon hits me like a ton of bricks. The dose the doctor wanted me on left me zombified for 12 hours.

The doctor didn't understand how it hit me so strongly so quickly, he had never heard of it before. Now he wants me to take it separately from the chloral hydrate, which I am prescribed for sleep. I took the Geodon and not the chloral hydrate, and I'm wide awake.

Would like to hear others' experiences with Geodon.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Took it for four-five days I think, hadbad side effects - I think suicidal agitated restlessness... can't think of the scientific term for it

went off it sortof abruptly which I know I shouldn't have done

stayed up three days straight, had a apanic attack every time I treid to sleep. ent to hospital for panic attacks. Took Ativan. Slept finally.

That's all there was to my Geodon experience.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2011, 5:06 am

I took ziprasidone [sorry Geodon is a really stupid name] for about 7 months, and I credit it with helping me get my life back on track. It really helped with my psychotic and mood issues - I remember starting it while I was still having psychosis issues, and then around 2 weeks later, I was back into full-time employment. I was on a fairly mild dosage of it for most of the time, at 80mg, and it worked fine for me. Later on, I upped it to 120mg when I started getting some breakthrough symptoms.

Initially, I did find ziprasidone really sedating and later on, I started getting random sedation on it. Sometimes I would be knocked out within an hour, other times I'd be up all night and then find myself gone by morning. It was very strange, and there was no pattern to it. I did all the right things while taking ziprasidone, such as taking it with a decent-sized meal, and I would still get this side effect. Eventually it got too disruptive for me and I had to be taken off.

Unfortunately with a lot of psych meds, it's all a matter of how you personally go, and you won't know how your body reacts until you've tried it. If it wasn't for the random sedation, I would've happily have stayed on ziprasidone. I responded very well to the drug and it worked for me.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 7:51 am

I was on Geodon briefly as a supplement to my antidepressants. I was on the lowest dose and it knocked me out. Turns out you have to take it with a meal consisting of a large number of calories (I forget how much) in order for it to be absorbed into your system properly. Anyway I developed this weird vocal thing, (spasmodic dysphonia) where for about a day and a half my vocal chords vibrated so that everything I said came out Wookie. It could have become permanent, which would have been wierd. You know how your voice sounds when you speak into a fan? It was like that. 8O