Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

29 Aug 2011, 11:18 am

rabbitears wrote:
I see what you mean about the models at the Natural History Museum, they look a little crudely made and a bit outdated (the Tyranosaurus with huge bright red eyes, standing bolt upright, using it's tail as prop is a good example of that), and the choice isn't all that spectacular either. They just seem to have the more popular "movie star" dinosaurs there, I'd expect some more lesser known species there, in order to educate people.
I'd hoped for stuff similar to what the British Museum does, with their pretty serious replicas of various things. They're not cheap of course - but the NHM should have gone further than plastic toys for the kiddies, and any educational value seems to be down the bottom of the list.
Quote:
I must get that Parasaurolophus skeleton in a tube though, I simply must. :shaking2:
Heh. I didn't spot that, and it looks pretty good too!
Quote:
This site might interest you:
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/category/collecta/
Yeah, interesting and useful to see what's around.
I also checked EBay and, well - meh.

Quote:
If you find any more decent figures on there that might have slipped by me, could you let me know and send a link please?
Sho' 'nuff.

Something about Quetzalcoatlus, though. In 1985 Paul MacReady had a fully autonomous, flapping-wing half-scale model of this thing actually flying.
Various links off this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_MacCr ... owne1985-3
Plus a pretty rubbishy video of it in action underneath the "External Links" header.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2011, 11:56 am

rabbitears wrote:
(But Quetzalcoatlus was a Pterosaur, not a dinosaur. It doesn't matter much though, as Pterosaurs are always up for discussion here too).

Oh my....that's right. But good you appreciate those, too. :)
Okay, my favourite dinosaur....is the Supersaurus/Ultrasauros because of its name(s).

warchildbosnia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

I loved dinosaurs when I was about in second grade, when Jurassic park came out. Fantastic movie that came out at the perfect age (second grade is when you learn about dinos!)

I still have some plastic dinos from those years -- little ones -- that my cats carry around the house as their "prey."

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

warchildbosnia wrote:
I loved dinosaurs when I was about in second grade, when Jurassic park came out. Fantastic movie that came out at the perfect age (second grade is when you learn about dinos!)

I still have some plastic dinos from those years -- little ones -- that my cats carry around the house as their "prey."

Jealous! I would have loved to have learned about dinosaurs in school as part of the official curriculum.

What species of dino toys do you have then?

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

My Parasaurolophus collection is slowly but surely expanding! :D

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

My persona that I use on the internet is a Dilophosaur. It's my identity as an electronic musician/ pianist and it is my fursona as a furry. It originated as a doodle I did in my last year of high school and grew into a costume I made by piecing together random stuff from my house and capping that with an old Jurassic Park mask.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd4xd5dv_yQ&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Beyond that, I'm not interested in dinosaurs terribly much. I was always more interested in marine reptiles(Icthyosaurs!! !! !! !!), fish(LEEDSICHTYES!! ! AGNATHANSSSS!! !! !!EUGENEODONTIFORMES!! !! !!), and invertebrates(Opabinia is the most adorable thing ever to grace the Earth) as far as paleontology goes. But I do have an on-and-off obsession with the studies of paleontology and evolutionary biology.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

Is that your own music ShenLong? I like it, it reminds me a lot of SEGA Megadrive. :wtg:

Back on the subject of dinosaurs: Is anyone else going to watch Planet Dinosaur on the 14th September?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14343366

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

rabbitears wrote:
Back on the subject of dinosaurs: Is anyone else going to watch Planet Dinosaur on the 14th September?
Hmm, I'll give it a go.
It depends on how well I cope with the unnecessarily portentous voice-over and Dr. Who-style thundering orchestra. Both extremely irritating.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

Not in England ;___________________;

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 9:11 pm

I love dinasaurs I maybe 38 but I have a love for dinasaurs my favourite dinasaur is the T- Rex. I also love Raptors. Has anyone seen the BBC series walking with Dinasaurs I loved it.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:37 am

Jediyoda wrote:
Has anyone seen the BBC series walking with Dinasaurs I loved it.

I watched that when it came out, along with Walking with Beasts. I loved both series.

I also bought the complete Walking with Dinosaurs on video when it came out, I still have it somewhere. I must dig it out!

I too have quite an interest in Raptors and Dromeosaurids in general, especially the fact that if it wasn't for them, the Dinosaurian bloodline wouldn't have kept going until the present day with birds. I also greatly admire their speed, agility and intelligence.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:41 am

Cornflake wrote:
rabbitears wrote:
Hmm, I'll give it a go.
It depends on how well I cope with the unnecessarily portentous voice-over and Dr. Who-style thundering orchestra. Both extremely irritating.

I don't mind all that. I'm just easily pleased to see dinoseseses!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Sep 2011, 6:37 am

Oh well. Maybe I'll try it with the audio muted.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

The first two episodes of Planet Dinosaur have so far been very good and informative.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Haven't caught up with the second one yet, but the first was a curious mix of some pretty shabby CGI and incredible detail. Mostly, the incredible detail won.
I'll see how the second one goes, but it was a relief to have John Hurt narrating instead of some overblown Shakespearean wannabe.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 1:24 am

I must admit I think the CGI on Walking with Dinosaurs was far better. But I do like all the latest evidence that's popping up, and the little factfile type snippets on the programme.

I also like the fact that the researchers got the Spinosaurus' crest in the right place, a singular one running centered down the snout, not two either side, as in Jurassic Park 3. I've seen way too many models with that anatomical inprecision.

And despite what some people think, John Hurt sounds nothing like Richard Dawkins. :roll:

He sounds like a good choice, straight to the point.