Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:41 am

I personally don't see why anyone would want to be one, I can't think of a more painful responsibility than supervising the internet.

pratchettfan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2011, 7:56 am

886 wrote:
I personally don't see why anyone would want to be one

Maybe because they see just what happens in unmoderated forums and something in them rises to the surface.

There's anarchy and there's plain vindictiveness. The worst of all are those forums whose creators are vile themselves. You approach those at your peril. I've read some truly horrible things on those forums. Mostly from people who hate the world with a passion. Everything from wanting to rape all women to wanting to kill all gay guys and do away with anyone who isn't just like the hate-filled poster or doesn't happen to share his or her world view.

Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:59 am

pratchettfan wrote:
886 wrote:
I personally don't see why anyone would want to be one

Maybe because they see just what happens in unmoderated forums and something in them rises to the surface.

There's anarchy and there's plain vindictiveness. The worst of all are those forums whose creators are vile themselves. You approach those at your peril. I've read some truly horrible things on those forums. Mostly from people who hate the world with a passion. Everything from wanting to rape all women to wanting to kill all gay guys and do away with anyone who isn't just like the hate-filled poster or doesn't happen to share his or her world view.

Well, there's always that cynical attitude that makes you wonder, but it's the "lolz u mad dawg" type of people that I want to punch.

Thankfully this website lacks such people.. at least lacks them at 5-6 in the morning when I usually post.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 11:05 am

886 wrote:
I personally don't see why anyone would want to be one.

Because I'd like to make life difficult for trolls and fuckwits, and I'd enjoy sacrificing my time to that end. :wink:

The year is still young.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

edit: nope....

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:46 pm

I don't want a million dollars.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

886 wrote:
I personally don't see why anyone would want to be one, I can't think of a more painful responsibility than supervising the internet.

I would be a mod if such a position was offered, but I would not want to be the only mod, as I believe that other mods should be available to provide checks and balances for each other; provided, of course, that there are clear guidelines from the Admin/Owner as to which actions require a warning, which ones require suspension (how many days or weeks), and which ones require total banning of the member.

Turning someone loose on a defenseless membership without clear and concise guidelines, and no peer review would be a mistake.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:41 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
I don't want a million dollars.

darn, i was going to say that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

886 wrote:

To make things their way and to control everyone on the board. We call them power hungry mods.

Or to make things better on the forums and because they think they be better mods than the current ones.

But I wouldn't want to be one either. Not on a very active forum.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

I wouldn't do a good job at it either....I'd end up being either power-hungry or not knowing what to do.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

It takes a particular kind of lunatic :D