Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:56 am

I mean do you listen to the same few song/songs over and over again, when you feel a certain song just captures something inside of you?

I do, and this song is in another language(still very comprehend-able to get the basic idea).

It's not the message of the music, but just the tone, the note and chords. I have listened to it 30 times in a row one day on repeat. I started listening to it maybe 3-4 months ago, and maybe total heard it around 300-500 times.

I am STILL NOT tired of this song, and I can't explain why. There is something about it. Its not quite melancholy, and its not the opposite either. However I do feel a little bit depressed when I listen to it, it just connects with me.

...And it is a hip-hop song, so the riff repeats itself. Its just an electric piano and drums, but its so dissonant.

Most music to me is either ehhh or thats cool. But this just strikes a nerve, and paints a picture, it represents something that I am missing, or something I dream about. Again just referring to the music, not the lyrics, which are in another language.

I'm not trying to promote this song, I just want to see if anyone here can hear what I hear. Does this song have the same or a similar connection to you? Can you hear why someone could get addicted to it? What are some examples of your obsessive songs????

I don't really care about the video, don't get caught up in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cT-tgAp7Bk

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 1:05 am

Yeah, I do it. I go through phases where I'll listen to just a few bands, and just a few songs from each. The same song will be listened to over and over. It's like this with books, too. Everything is in phases, with one obsession following another.

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 1:18 am

I listen to "Sometimes love just ain't enough" by Patty Smyth and Don Henley on repeat.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 2:21 am

yes, these progressive trance tunes have me hooked. I must listen to all three a hundred times in the last week alone. They are beautifully harmonizing chord progressions you do not hear anyone use in pop music, which I love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unvAoiMW ... ded#at=174
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImnV9uz ... ded#at=211

listen to them in 720p for amazing quality

My brother is madly obsessed with The Strokes, ALO, Young The Giant, and Vampire Weekend, and so am I to an extant but I'm still a progressive trance and progressive house guy.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2011, 2:43 am

I do quite the opposite. With songs holding my attention I get bored of them really quick and never listen again, so I have a firm rule of only playing on shuffle, never anything else, and if I miss a song I really like, tough, I'll hear it next time :P

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 2:47 am

It depends. For a while I was obsessed by the movie Mulholland Drive.

Including the symphony parts of the film score by Angelo Badalamenti which I still think are fantastic. The Love Theme track at the end of the album is amazing.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:30 am

Yes.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:46 am

indeed i do.
there are several songs i could put to musical score from memory alone due to doing this.
and they aren't low-track songs either, but full 30-score filmtrailer enviromental background songs...

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:58 am

Yes. I've been listening to my ELO album every single day for 2 months and I'm not bored of it. All of their songs became my most played ever on my iPod in just weeks.

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2011, 6:12 am

Yes. Two of my obsessive songs right now are I Dream of Chicago and the Chicago Code theme tune.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 6:29 am

I am guilty of doing that too ;)

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2011, 7:48 am

Yes totally. I listen to one or a couple of songs repeatedly for days even weeks on end. After watching the movie 'Shine' I was totally obsessed with Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #3 and would talk about it endlessly too.

Eventually I move onto something else to be obsessed with, either another song or another special interest.

I think it's something to do with the enjoyment of predictability in AS. When we listen to one song, we begin to memorize it, and when the song proceeds in the way we predicted, it becomes comforting.

I still listen to old albums I grew up listening to in the 80's/90's (e.g. The Offspring -- Smash) as I know the lyrics and the guitar progressions, bass, drums, etc. so it's predictable and I like that.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:14 am

Yes.
I have to have all my music correctly tagged too, with the correct year, artist name, genre, composer, album and I need it all to be in the correct playlists and in alphabetical order. I also need album art to go with it.
I am completely obsessed with music and having it in the correct order, otherwise I can't listen to it.

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:19 am

I've listened to Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" album obsessively since high school...in particular, End of the Innocence, New York Minute, and Heart of the Matter.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

In a word, yes. I'm not normally a pop fan either, but every now and then you find that one song that's oddly addictive for some reason. I'll admit to having watched America's Got Talent, and one song that got me was a remix of Katy Perry's ET:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5YSsbU75y0[/youtube]

which led me to this version (which edited out Kanye West, as he didnt do much for the song, and just made it vulgar):

Vimeo Katy Perry E.T (No Kanye)

I think I'm up to listening to it 30-odd times in the last few days. But I think i get caught up in some combination of lyrics/tone. Others that have done the same are Nightwish's "Bye Bye Beautiful", "Sleeping Sun"; Journey's "Wheel in the Sky", Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire," etc.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

Oh yes. I will play a song on repeat for weeks. My Mum did that too, when I was a child. It usually helps me well up feelings that I hide. Right now it's "Just Say It" by Sleeptheif and a few weeks ago it was "Go to Hell" by Drill. Taylor Swift's "Last Kiss" is another one that helps and I obsess over. I play the guitar quite well, and I will usually learn the song of choice and then play it incessantly! :P