Does anyone in the UK have advice for an NHS diagnosis

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

apiousboysevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

Of Asperger's?

I have been to my doctor and have been told that the NHS is not funded to diagnose me with Asperger's and I will have to go to a private clinic in Sheffield! Well I can't afford that so does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

Many thanks if anyone has advice.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Hmm, well there is certainly funding in the NHS in Cornwall: both I and my OH have been diagnosed here. Good luck with getting this in your area........

apiousboysevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

Thanks, yes the letter says that "there is no local NHS trust that can provide an assessment" and says I should go to a private clinic instead, Maybe I should look at the nearest area I can get an NHS assessment. So much effort though doing this :/

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Best thing you can do is contact the National Autistic Society who'll be able to tell you what you can do and what should be available to you.

sraddha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

Hm...I went for assessment in Cambridge.
Because, like you, no fund with NHS and I did not want to wait too much.
I paid quite a lot, but it was absolutely worthy.
In this area there are many qualified private psychologists.

apiousboysevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2011, 6:34 am

well thanks for your advice, I didn't realise it would take so much effort

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 7:25 am

I had my diagnosis done private in Croydon (Surrey), only 5 miles away form me. I was also told NHS wouldn't fund me. It cost £435 =/

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:39 am

I have apparently been on the waiting list at the NHS for a year. Today I recieved a letter stating that it is up to my psychiatrist to obtain authorised funding from the primary care trust. He didn't do that and now he has to obtain authorisation and then they will put me on the waiting list. I don't reckon i will ever get a formal diagnosis on the NHS.

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

I'm part way through NHS assessment in the midlands after a referral (that I asked for) from my GP. The clinic is an NHS one in Sheffield, so I guess funding is down to the usual NHS lottery..

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

I'm in Cheshire. At the initial "mental health assessment" I was actually told it wasn't worth pursuing a diagnosis, and that all the traits I display are what make me "individual". I was then put on the 6 month waiting list for (guess what.....) cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety. :roll:

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:
I'm in Cheshire. At the initial "mental health assessment" I was actually told it wasn't worth pursuing a diagnosis, and that all the traits I display are what make me "individual". I was then put on the 6 month waiting list for (guess what.....) cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety. :roll:

i got put off getting a dx by my gp about 5 years ago. Then i was in the job centre a month ago and one of the advisors asked me just the right question, i told him of my suspicions and he got me an appointment with some place that screens/ helps with issues/ arrange for you to get an official diagnosis.

I went to my appointment and I got told i have higher functioning autism with some strong autistic traits. By the end of the screening, when they realised i was definitely what i claimed to be, one of the woman was finishing off stories i was telling ( she's was an aspie ). It's such a relief to have people that know what theyre talking about agree with me. They never expected me to justify my opinion like the gp (how the hell can i fit a lifetime of suspicions into a 30 second soundbite?), they gave me a questionaire and then asked me about my answers. For the way i am it's a far superior way of doing it. My gp just couldnt be arsed imo. i lost years of not knowing to her laziness and lack of understanding.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

TechnoMonk wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:

i got put off getting a dx by my gp about 5 years ago. Then i was in the job centre a month ago and one of the advisors asked me just the right question, i told him of my suspicions and he got me an appointment with some place that screens/ helps with issues/ arrange for you to get an official diagnosis.

I went to my appointment and I got told i have higher functioning autism with some strong autistic traits. By the end of the screening, when they realised i was definitely what i claimed to be, one of the woman was finishing off stories i was telling ( she's was an aspie ). It's such a relief to have people that know what theyre talking about agree with me. They never expected me to justify my opinion like the gp (how the hell can i fit a lifetime of suspicions into a 30 second soundbite?), they gave me a questionaire and then asked me about my answers. For the way i am it's a far superior way of doing it. My gp just couldnt be arsed imo. i lost years of not knowing to her laziness and lack of understanding.

I get the impression that the decisions are financially motivated. If they identify anxiety and/or depression then they send you for therapy (cheaper than a psych.), whilst overlooking the causes of anxity/depression. Oh, and the GPs get you to download a series of relaxation mp3s.

apiousboysevil
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

thanks for your advice, I might ask to see the disability employment advisor at the jobcentre then maybe they can point me in the right direction

also wow I have noticed how many aspies are in the uk and quite a few near me as well, I guess we are all hiding away and too introverted to meet each other though lol

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2011, 7:50 am

Well I'm about 20 miles from Sheffield and not so much hiding as simply blending into the background...

BasilSquire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

I contacted the NAS, who emailed me a list of clinics that can offer NHS diagnosis. I took this to my GP, who wrote to the clinic in Sheffield (Sheffield Asperger Syndrome Service), who wrote to me and offered me an appointment on the NHS. Its a 2 hour assessment, apparently. I would be going on 16/8/11, however I can't get off work so have had to push it back to early October. I am in Lincolnshire, not sure which authority will be funding it but you must have a shot if you are in the same general area?

Spork
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2011, 8:30 am

First you need to visit your GP and and have the asperger talk, this requires alot of arm twisting on your part, so come prepared. Your GP should refer you to a psychiatrist who will evaluate you to make sure you not a nutter, if you past the evaluation the GP will seek to obtain funding for a diagnosis from the primary care trust. If and when you get the funding you will get an appointment from the Maudsley Hospital or the the facility most local to you.