OneStepBeyond wrote:
find someone who you don't have to follow rules with

This.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

My rules from when I was dating:

1. Dress Normal: make sure to wear something that's nicer than what you would normally wear. Do make-up and hair very nicely to make sure you look pretty. Wear a sweet perfume. Wear some kind of heel.
2. Act Normal: make eye contact, make sure your voice is melodic, don't laugh too much, smile nicely, and don't stare off into space. Make sure your walk is feminine with the little hip sway and don't pick at your clothes or bounce your leg. For christsakes don't swear! React to him nicely, even when he does something you think is stupid. Just be nice.
3. Be Interesting: talk about things he can talk about that interest you enough to sound intelligent but not a know-it-all, don't tell jokes that go over his head and stay away from both religion and politics. Avoid talking to inanimate objects, especially if you bump into one (some guys think it's cute that I apologize to a chair, others think it's weird... it's best not to risk it).
4. Offer to pay your portion of the bill at the restaurant. Even though I've never been allowed to do it, it's important to offer and be ready to do it without prejudice toward the date because you're an independent self-sufficient human being who doesn't need somebody to pay for them... but it's nice once in a while.
5. Hide the crazy. Got a crazy family or a crazy ex or enjoy ventriloquism? Keep it to yourself. There's a time and place to disclose that information. Entry Level Dating (I call it that now because dating is a business arrangement*) should be a form of escapism where both people are just having fun without the stress that burdens them in the day-to-day.
6. Pretend to be spontaneous. I'm not spontaneous. In the beginning, just give a little more than you normally would. This is not dishonest or misrepresentation, it's actually creating proper perspective. Someone who wants to be involved in the planning of every event and date is going to send up red flags as a control freak who's going to search his cell phone while he sleeps to delete women's names from his contacts, patrol his Facebook like a psycho, and hawkeye him to see if he's looking at other women when they're in public. Later on, he really won't have a problem with you just wanting to know the plan. But while dating is new, pretend you enjoy surprises.
7. Let him call you. Again, this is the perception thing. There's nothing wrong with making first contact but when dating is brand new, it sends up the red flag that you'll suddenly be boiling bunnies in his stew pot if he receives a text or call too soon or, god forbid, you make more than one attempt to contact him. Just let him make the first move to contact. Then you answer and move on as normal.
8. Don't have sex on the first three dates. I've known successful long-term relationships between people who are still happily married who slept together on the first date. I've known far more people who end up having unintentional one night stands. If he doesn't want more than three dates with you, it was best to keep him out of your vajayjay, anyway. Wait longer if you want to.
9. Have a set of guidelines for yourself to mind your behavior to make sure you're following some social standards but don't discuss them with your date!

* not really

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm

mesona wrote:
wait three days to call after a date no matter how well it went.(I really thought this was a joke)
This one's outdated now. Our society has become all about instant gratification, so no one has the attention span to wait 3 days anymore. Of course, calling right after a date shows desperation. (Exception: if the weather is really bad, then a very short "safety check" call is permissible.) I myself follow the 24-hour rule.
mesona wrote:
No only means No if said on the 2ed time (more hten one girl has said this to me)
Disagree. Especially when it comes to sex. That might be true when asking a girl to dance or going in for a kiss, and even that's questionable. The last thing you want is legal trouble hanging over your rear end.
mesona wrote:
You can pick I dont almost always means you know the place I want.
Disagree. Some traditional rules remain in place, which includes the guy being the planner, unless the girl already suggested a mutually interesting place.[/quote]
mesona wrote:
what I dont know is text rules,known this girl for weeks nad had an epic date last night but sadly she had a trip this weekend, do I text her or not text her till she comes back?
Call her, leave a short (less than 30 seconds) voicemail, saying you had a fun time and you want to get together again. Then don't call until she calls you, no matter what.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

wish her off and hope she has fun, text her at least once or more while she's gone

also, the rules are only there to help you, if you always do or you alway's don't do a certain rule, feel free to test it, and even if it doesn't work out for you the first time, it's not because that rule doesn't work... it could very well be that it just doesn't work for you *YET* so take anyone who tells you dating rules that you should always do or you should not always do as a redflag.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:27 am

mv wrote:
Moog wrote:
sagan wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I'm curious, how do people know these rules? Nobody ever told me these kinds of things.
I probably learned more about this kind of stuff from watching Seinfeld. :roll:

Hehe dito. So I only know the really inappropriate / ridiculously unnecessary ones. I always feel like I am the female version of Larry David when I watch Curb...

Larry strikes me as quite aspie...

I've thought that, too! And that Seinfeld was a watered-down version of Larry, to make his character more palatable to the public!

Actually, I believe it's George who is based on Larry. Seinfeld is based on himself. They even brought it up on Curb Your Enthusiasm when Jason Alexander was on once.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 6:25 am

Aimless wrote:
mv wrote:
Moog wrote:
sagan wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I'm curious, how do people know these rules? Nobody ever told me these kinds of things.
I probably learned more about this kind of stuff from watching Seinfeld. :roll:

Hehe dito. So I only know the really inappropriate / ridiculously unnecessary ones. I always feel like I am the female version of Larry David when I watch Curb...

Larry strikes me as quite aspie...

I've thought that, too! And that Seinfeld was a watered-down version of Larry, to make his character more palatable to the public!

Actually, I believe it's George who is based on Larry. Seinfeld is based on himself. They even brought it up on Curb Your Enthusiasm when Jason Alexander was on once.

There´s also a documentary about how the series started on the first season´s dvd("How It Began") where its stated that he was doing some standup work and someone thought that a serie that mixed the standup and a sitcom could be very entertaining and they wanted him to basically play himself. And he makes a joke about having doubts not being able to get the character right.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html