Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2011, 8:07 pm

In dating(and life) There are so many unspoken rules and they are always our down fall, here would be a place we post rules we larened the hard way or ask about rules we might not uder stand.

wait three days to call after a date no matter how well it went.(I really thought this was a joke)

No only means No if said on the 2ed time (mor ehten one girl has said this to me)

You can pick I dont almost always means you know the place I want.

what I dont know is text rules,known this girl for weeks nad had an epic date last night but sadly she had a trip this weekend, do I text her or not text her till she comes back?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:22 pm

find someone who you don't have to follow rules with

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
find someone who you don't have to follow rules with

My favourite.

I've never liked having to live life on rails.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:30 pm

mesona wrote:
what I dont know is text rules,known this girl for weeks nad had an epic date last night but sadly she had a trip this weekend, do I text her or not text her till she comes back?

I'd text her while she's away. I can't really think of any reason why not. You can just say 'hope you're having a great time, let's get together when you come back' or something.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

I'm curious, how do people know these rules? Nobody ever told me these kinds of things.
I probably learned more about this kind of stuff from watching Seinfeld. :roll:

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

Any 'rules' that I've ever read or heard essentially translate into ways not to appear needy, clingy, or desperate. Notice I said 'appear'. I think one can then ignore these rules if you are, in fact, not needy, clingy, or desperate, but confident, assertive, and...self-aware (?can't think of the right word here?).

But don't ask me how to get there from here, haha. I'm still navigating that road myself.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 12:54 am

Aimless wrote:
I'm curious, how do people know these rules? Nobody ever told me these kinds of things.

Hehe dito. So I only know the really inappropriate / ridiculously unnecessary ones. I always feel like I am the female version of Larry David when I watch Curb...

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:20 am

Aimless wrote:

Ha ha, me too. Love Seinfeld:)

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:16 am

There are unwritten rules for all aspects of life, imposed on us by history, by society, the media, other humans.

It's upto you however how much you want to try to learn those rules, to have those rules imposed on you. You can try, and you may succeed to some extent. But is that how you want to live your life, under the rules of others? I guess it depends on how much you desire to be accepted by others, but then are you being accepted for who you are, or for your ability to conform?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:50 am

Unwritten rules are a goof topic for sitcoms etc but thats it, I dont think they are appliable to real life because everyone has heard them(on how i met your mother for example the joke was to wait longer than 3 days because everyone had heard about the three day rule and this implies women had as well)

Honestly imo the only rule you have to follow is to be true to each other about your intentons at all times. Anything else just screams manipulation to me and I dont want to trik anyone into a relationship.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:54 am

sagan wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Hehe dito. So I only know the really inappropriate / ridiculously unnecessary ones. I always feel like I am the female version of Larry David when I watch Curb...

Larry strikes me as quite aspie...

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:24 am

mesona wrote:
In dating(and life) There are so many unspoken rules and they are always our down fall, here would be a place we post rules we larened the hard way or ask about rules we might not uder stand.

wait three days to call after a date no matter how well it went.(I really thought this was a joke)

No only means No if said on the 2ed time (mor ehten one girl has said this to me)

You can pick I dont almost always means you know the place I want.

I think there are definitely unspoken "rules" involved in dating, in the same sense that there are unspoken rules about living in the world. Nothing new about this, really.

But as I look over your list ... and maybe it's a generational thing, I dunno ... I'd say none of those apply. Or should apply.

A man is perfectly free to call me three minutes after a date if he cares to. And your "no" rule actually kinda disturbs me a little. No always means no ... every time. No exceptions.

Last edited by CaroleTucson on 12 Aug 2011, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

Moog wrote:
sagan wrote:
Aimless wrote:

I've thought that, too! And that Seinfeld was a watered-down version of Larry, to make his character more palatable to the public!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:31 am

The only rules that I followed when dating were:

1. The person who asks for the date pays for the date.
2. Always carry enough cash for cab fare home (for both people).
3. Let a 3rd person know who you will be with, where you will likely go, and what time you expect to come home.
4. Bathe, shave, and apply cologne before the date.
5. Dress just a little bit better than the venue requires.
6. Refrain from discussing previous relationships.
7. Keep all of your attention on the person you are with (no texting, no calls, et cetera).

This way, if the date didn't work out, it was not my fault.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

Fnord wrote:
The only rules that I followed when dating were:

1. The person who asks for the date pays for the date.
2. Always carry enough cash for cab fare home (for both people).
3. Let a 3rd person know who you will be with, where you will likely go, and what time you expect to come home.
4. Bathe, shave, and apply cologne before the date.
5. Dress just a little bit better than the venue requires.
6. Refrain from discussing previous relationships.
7. Keep all of your attention on the person you are with (no texting, no calls, et cetera).

This way, if the date didn't work out, it was not my fault.

Good points you mention. I bet I have ruined dates by not following these rules.

MadnessMaddened
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 12:06 pm

Moog wrote:
sagan wrote:
Aimless wrote:

I was just thinking the exact same thing this morning.

Probably explains why Crub is one of my favourite shows, I always seem to somehow miss it though...