Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

littleoctagon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2006, 8:28 pm

When I look back at most of the people I have known who might be AS (not a professional, possibly projecting) and look at myself, I seem to notice a commonality: we have little or no fashion sense.

I have never really cared about fashion. I don't get it, I don't want to get it, and honestly, when I see "high fashion" people, I sometimes think they might be "high maintenance". I once told a fashionably conscious male friend of mine, "I just don't get fashion", and he responded by saying, "This much is obvious".

Whenever I have to dress up I feel like I am wearing a costume. I had a friend whose girlfriend saw me dressed up and commented on how good I looked. I told her and still tell people that when I dress differently than normal (t-shirt and jeans), I feel like I am wearing a clown suit: it's not me, it doesn't feel like me, and it makes me uncomfortable.

So, am I alone or wrong about this? I know aspies tend to find a specific niche or topic to hyper-study and that perhaps this niche could be fashion, but beyond this am I the only one who is like this? For example, I went to a catholic high school and got laughed at one day because I wore a pair of light blue pants with an aqua blue shirt. I realize now that to wear two different shades of the same color is a fashion no-no, but I still don't get it and really, I don't want to think about it or be bothered with it.

Comments?

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2006, 9:02 pm

i ve never cared about fashion and i particularly dont like the look of some female celebrities. too skinny too much make up and their clothes are awful too.

and whats with those little half jackets?? with arms full lengh but the lengh of the body only comes to below the bust... what practical use is one fo those? yet i see so many people wearing them!
and skirts then dont even reach the bottom of her bottom! almost like a belt!

when i was growing up my mum was constantly trying to to get me to wear a little make up but i hated it... it makes me feel silly and it feels nasty on my face too.. i can do face paint on the other hand... i love having my face painted like a lion or something.
my hair has none of this silly feathering styles to it or with half of it shorter than the other etc with it half dangling over my face... i have it all the same lengh just below my shoulders.
it mkes me angry how other ppl take so much attention in how they look because its all they think that matters.

my clothing sence... well again my mother tried to influence that tryin to make me wear spangly girly clothes but i just liked my tracksuits when i was growing up... or jeans and t shirts... i still like those but my fashion sence completley went out of the window now and i wear what i feel good in.. to hell with anybody else lol.
my latest attire is a bandanna with the stars and stripes on it a caesars palace jacket again with stars and stripes on it an American flag wraped round me underneah that reaches my knees and a pair of pants of choice... i sometimes even take another 5'x3' american flag out with me that is attached to a pole which i carry on my shoulder. i feel good wearing these and holding my flag.
i notice that people look at me though and also sometimes peolpe in cars honk their horns at me which i dont understand why that is. but- i dont mnd them if thats what they want to do. i dont care about fashion.. only wearing what i feel good to wear

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2006, 9:25 pm

No you are not alone. I’ve been told that I have no fashion sense, and really I don’t care to have one. I just want to wear what makes me feel cumfterbul and be left alone about it.

I to have had people try to force fashion on me. I hate when people say stuff like oh but you would look so good if only you did this or if you did that. I hate shopping with my mom because she always tries to get me to wear pants like 2 sizes smaller than I feel comterbol in. I also can’t stand to go anywhere where people expect you to dress up.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 9:25 pm

I'm actually one of those aspies whose niche is fashion. I'd like to be a fashion designer. I've come to learn that expressing yourself in terms of appearance can be really fun, even for a lot of guys! This doesn't even have to include makeup either, which is uncomfortable for a lot of people (I never wear anything more than a little concealer, mascara and eyeliner)

And like you're saying, appearance doesn't explain who a person is. It shouldn't have to. However, people have a second nature to decide whether a person is deemed respectable or not by how they dress... I don't get it either. But dressing nice helps with business, it has a tendency to help with relationships because it shows that the person understands what is appropriate where, and it helps people build up their self-esteem. I guess it works differently for each person, like you said, as many people don't feel comfortable wearing suits or uncomfortable articles of clothing. The fashion industry doesn't demand that you follow every little ridiculous trend on the market, it just suggests that you see what's out there and embrace that which feels right to you. I think that this is what fashion should be. I'll admit I do follow trends to a small degree, yet the clothes I wear are entirely my own. It should be this way for everybody.

Of course, it is your choice whether to have fun coordinating outfits, or you can have fun doing something else! Whatever suits you.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 9:36 pm

Female aspie here with no fashion sense. On one hand, I don't "get" fashion and have a hard time matching clothing. On the other hand, I have sensory issues and insanely sensitive skin, so anything other than a t-shirt and jeans is uncomfortable to wear.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 10:11 pm

i have horrible fashion sense and i have super sensitive skin. Khakis and a comfortable tee for me please. I mean I break fashion down like this: Why spend all my money on clothes when I already have clothes that fit me? I refuse to be a sheep following a flock.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

05 Sep 2006, 10:24 pm

I wear whatever I want but still want to dress like a young woman instead of a kid just to attract men.

PortlandBabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2006, 10:27 pm

Like it or not, people judge other people by the way they look. We do it too.

I tend to stick with more classic styles. Fashion sense: passable.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2006, 10:34 pm

I was beginning to think I was learning some kind of fashion sense when I moved to L.A., but I was really just getting dressed by a friend who has fashion sense. He has been giving me his hand-me-downs for a while and recently he stopped. I noticed I was getting out of date. I hate shopping, especially by myself. I finally made myself go to the store and buy a very plain pair of jeans and I was so proud of myself. I told myself I'd go get a new pair every now and then and throw out old ones as I did that but I haven't. It seems I'm slipping back into my old ways now that my support is gone. :?

I don't know that I'm as sensitive as others on here. I can never wear tube socks because of that ridge on the toes. As a kid, it drove me nuts when my mom put a jacket on me and it pushed my sleeves up. She taught me to hold onto my sleeves when I put it on so they would be sticking out the ends and the jacket wouldn't be against my wrists. I can't stand to wear a watch. I did it for a while and I would constantly be playing with it. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I can't stand necklaces against my skin. I have to wear collared shirts to work because I have a badge on a lanyard and I can't have it on my neck. I bought five different colors of a generic polo-style shirt and I mostly rotate those for work with a couple other shirts I toss in for variety now and then. I'm also extremely touchy about shoes. It's hard as heck to find shoes that are comfortable. I've learned that Rockports and New Balance seem like good brands for me. New Balance shoes are wider and don't squeeze my feet so much.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 10:50 pm

I usually just wear Jeans of Shorts and a T-Shirt. I find that there's no need for me to go for the Painted On look. I also have Beatle Hair, which isn't a big deal because, I'm a Beatles Fan.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 11:53 pm

I prefer to wear what blends in and is comfortable. The majority of my clothes are now purchased from Wal-Mart and Target.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 12:56 am

I've never been much for fashion, as I'm comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time. When I dress for a job interview and later for a job, I prefer slacks and a blouse to skirts or dresses. I haven't worn a dress since my brother's wedding last New Year's Eve.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 1:56 am

None, Zero, Zilch. Just as long as I am warm and comfortable.
I hate scratchy clothes. Some of those "fashionable" clothes look excrutiatingly uncomfortable to me.

Paul

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 3:34 am

I probably have a little fashion sense, but it's probably not typical.

I go for what looks awesome, rather than what is popular.

I also think that NTs may not have fashion sense, so much as they just obsess over what other people tell them they should wear.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 4:11 am

I probably have a little fashion sense, but it's probably not typical.

I go for what looks awesome, rather than what is popular.

I also think that NTs may not have fashion sense, so much as they just obsess over what other people tell them they should wear.

Chat_Noir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2006, 4:58 am

I guess a have a bit of a fashion sense, but I hardly ever try to keep up with the trends. I just tend to stick to what looks good on me. For example, Skinny leg jeans are really in at the moment, but I'd much rather wear flares. I really feel best in jeans and a t-shirt. I guess I look like a dag sometimes, but I'd rather that than be one of those people who thinks wearing the latest style is the most important thing in the world.