The Ant and the Grasshopper: Aesop fable updated.

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 6:54 pm

Philologos wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Ok you really need to make your posts easier to understand because that took me a while. You could've just said "Firsthand experience carries more weight to people than hearsay and anecdotes. When it comes to parables, people tend to resort to just confirming their bias rather than reading with an open mind. They react to the map their minds have constructed rather than to the satellite image itself"

Anyways, yeah it's sad but true.

It is also sad but true that I yam what I yam and I talks me talk and walks me walk and it is no easier for me to write like you than for you to write like me. Apart from thinking - your reworking for example does not quite replicate mine. While it is true that many do NOT listen with an open mind, that was not my point here, rather that even where the mind is open it is not empty, and some of the characters in the incoming text may be blanlked out where the fonts do not match.

Myriad examples omitted.
Uh actually that sounds a lot like "They react to the map their minds have constructed rather than to the satellite image itself". Since the style doesn't match, the substance is rejected. But yeah my translation didn't quite address the open minded thing too well. Even someone who has an open mind filters what they perceive to make the satellite image fit their maps better.

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

I take it that the ant is not a fan of music, but I for my part shall miss the song of the cicada.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 7:41 am

Insects who live through the winter actually hibernate during the winter.

Including ants. They do not spend the winter eating their stores of food.

The fairy tale (although Ruveyn's favourite) makes no sense at all, and is even less sensible in the "modern" version.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

pandabear wrote:
Insects who live through the winter actually hibernate during the winter.

Including ants. They do not spend the winter eating their stores of food.

The fairy tale (although Ruveyn's favourite) makes no sense at all, and is even less sensible in the "modern" version.

Not a fairy tale - a fable. Very different.

But in any case, parables, myths, fables, folktales, legends, short stories, novels, and many news articles do not require much grounding in reality or even probability [though much of history and some journalism tries to be grounded]. The points they make lie outside mundane fact.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

The fable does tend to support false notions that any amateur entomologist can refute.

Just as the Bible contains false notions that any geologist or biologist can refute. But, many people believe them, no matter what.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

pandabear wrote:
The fable does tend to support false notions that any amateur entomologist can refute.

Just as the Bible contains false notions that any geologist or biologist can refute. But, many people believe them, no matter what.

Your parallel is skewed and your lines are not straight. A fable does not intend or claim to contain factual matter - it is part of the same communicative system as imperatives and optatives, conveying an admonition, even though its form is close to factual narrative.

The Bible does intend and claim to contain factual matter, in addition to parabolic, poetic, and other genres. Much of the claimed factual matter is obsolete and / or irrelevant. But the prime thrust of the Bible as a whole [as opposed to individual sections] is not to communicate fact, nor to entertain, nor even to point up a principle as in the case of a fable, and only a fool or an ignoramus would compare it to so diffderent a fruit.

As to believing notions which A may refute today and endorse tomorrow, or B endorse today and refute tomorrow, that is the way of the world, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

If someone believes - or disbelieves - a statement of fact because it appears in the Bible, or in a Wikipedia article, or in a fable, or in a paper presented at the Fourth Annual Symposium on Dark Matter - he does so at his own risk. At least the fable and the Bible do not pretend that they are there as factual data.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

Grassmen and strawhoppers topic

I understand what the fable means and it is directed as foolish wastrels, not hardworking bugs of various species who try hard, and might still not make it, and need help, and I do not think anyone would deny them a helping hand. the thing is, It is not easy to differentiate between the lazy fools and those who truly fall between the cracks. Socrates would have been wise to teach us how to tell the difference. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

sartresue wrote:

I understand what the fable means and it is directed as foolish wastrels, not hardworking bugs of various species who try hard, and might still not make it, and need help, and I do not think anyone would deny them a helping hand. the thing is, It is not easy to differentiate between the lazy fools and those who truly fall between the cracks. Socrates would have been wise to teach us how to tell the difference. :)

The fable is a parable on different types of human people. It was never about insects or chikadae.

ruveyn

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:
sartresue wrote:

The fable is a parable on different types of human people. It was never about insects or chikadae.

ruveyn

I think they realize that, but since they have no legitimate counter argument, they are trying to go off on a wild tangent.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
sartresue wrote:

ruveyn

I think they realize that, but since they have no legitimate counter argument, they are trying to go off on a wild tangent.

Who are "THEY"? And what argument? The only realistic way to argue agin a parable woulkd be with another parable. Which is pointless sins ruveyn already gave two versions.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

Philologos wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
sartresue wrote:

ruveyn

Who are "THEY"? And what argument? The only realistic way to argue agin a parable woulkd be with another parable. Which is pointless sins ruveyn already gave two versions.

Parables are stories that have a moral to them for people to learn something from, what ruveyn is pointing out is that people are saying that a lazy bum is now capable of getting the government to take things from people that work hard, and give them to people that laze around. People on this board have essentially been advocating this (though they will deny it even when it is pointed out right in front of their faces).

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

Funny, in the one I read it was the ant who died of a preventable disease due to lack of universal health care, that he contracted by living in poverty after losing his house and investments due to lack of adequate regulation of the housing market, while the grasshopper lived comfortably off his trust fund

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 10:28 pm

Obres wrote:
Funny, in the one I read it was the ant who died of a preventable disease due to lack of universal health care, that he contracted by living in poverty after losing his house and investments due to lack of adequate regulation of the housing market, while the grasshopper lived comfortably off his trust fund

Truly wise topic

Now, this^^ is Socrates!! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 10:52 pm

sartresue wrote:
Obres wrote:

Truly wise topic

Now, this^^ is Socrates!! :D

Which is a restatement of my version of the story.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
sartresue wrote:

ruveyn

Parables are stories that have a moral to them for people to learn something from, what ruveyn is pointing out is that people are saying that a lazy bum is now capable of getting the government to take things from people that work hard, and give them to people that laze around. People on this board have essentially been advocating this (though they will deny it even when it is pointed out right in front of their faces).

What will it take for you to be able to differentiate reality from the fictitious strawmen planted in your head by the right-wing media? Maybe you need medication.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

Given that the hero of these fables is the ant, does that suddenly mean that conservatives think hundreds of thousands of workers should risk their lives and health so one woman can make hundreds of babies? Viva the welfare queen, I guess ... :roll: