Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 10:30 pm

For Valentine's Day, I want to sing "She's So High" to a girl I like. I am really nervous about it, so I'm going to try and practice a lot. I can sing very high notes really well, so that parts good. Problem is, I don't think I sing well other than that.

I thought I sounded good hearing myself, but after recording it and hearing it, it sounded terrible. My voice sounds dull and has no emotion, and is sometimes even painfully annoying for me to listen to. Yes, it is so bad that my ears hurt. Rapping I can do well, but slower paced songs I hate doing. I asked my dad if he could take me to audition for the next season of the X-factor, and he told me I should get voice lessons first. I'm thinking about it, because one of the main things I want to do later on is start a rock band and hopefully become a very famous one. I'm practicing now, but currently I hate the sound of my voice.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:35 am

I can sort of harmonize a bit, but overall I can't sing worth a damn...

SailorSaiyan93
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2016, 8:01 pm

I've been told that I'm a good singer, but no matter how much they tell me I should do it, I can't do it in front of people (or at least if they're able to see me) because I cannot stand all those eyes peering up at me. I used to have this avidly bad reaction to receiving praise of any kind openly (probably because it was also used as a teasing tactic by people that wished to get under my skin by deliberately putting focus and attention on me when I didn't want it), yet even now, I still can't sing in front of an audience, probably not even a Youtube audience either thanks to me generally being uncomfortable with my family seeing it.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:49 am

Supposedly I'm a really good singer.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:00 pm

I've never had the confidence or setting to attempt to sing but I have so many musical tapestries I flit between and hope to further explore over the rest of my life, and singing is certainly an area I intend to teach myself and develop, I have no idea if I have a gift within but I am very musically curious either way :mrgreen:

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 7:38 pm

Good or bad is a matter of perspective.

I sing pretty good, better than most people on earth, have perfect pitch but am I professional? no. I don't main singing either. I did voice lessons for quite some time and it helped ALOT. My (singing) voice actually changed during the course of training. I am about Tenor-Baritone but I'm by no means clasically trained because I wasn't in a choir. I just don't like the classic repertoire and prefer to sing modern songs... either alone or with my a friend or two.

I really like singing TBH, I sing even when there's no music, in the shower and pretty much when I cook not including times in which I'M preoccupied with something actually music related like playing my instruments.

My voice is extremely melodic and quite delicate suited for ballads, pop and soft rock. Definitely NOT growls or heavy metal not that I'm aiming for that anyway.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2016, 9:59 am

I used to think I couldn't sing at all. It turns out that's because the parts I was expected to sing in school were too high for me. Also, I don't think my voice sounds great but I could improve that with practice.

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2016, 3:07 pm

My family and friends always kept telling me join choir, because i was really good at singing a wide range of songs. From Ozzy, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Disturbed, The Fray, All-American Rejects, Five Finger Death Punch, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, or Fall Out Boy to Avril Lavigne (don't ask what songs i won't answer) i always refused specifically because they suggested it.

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Apr 2022, 3:10 am

Hi Iceveela,

I hoped to become an opera singer but my life went awry before my planned place at music college.
This is a recording that was made just before my life came to a halt aged 22. I was a choral scholar at university:

Jimberry and the Couscous - Too much information
- Failure to habituate
#ActuallyAutistic #Ableism #RightToThrive #Neglect #AutismAdvancement

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Apr 2022, 3:14 am

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
iceveela wrote:
I have a lisp, and I also sound nasally, and for one reason or another cannot put emotion into my singing. But I was wondering if it is possible for someone with aspergers to learn how to sing very well?

any aspies out there who can sing very well?

I wouldn't say "very well", but I do sing in an entry-level choir (Edmonton Christian Male Choir,
second tenor) and I begin my fifth year of singing with them this September.

Hi Douglas,

I would like to hear you sing!

Can you post a link?

Have a GrEaT dAy!

Jim

- Failure to habituate

lovelyanathema
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2022, 11:41 pm

Some of us have perfect pitch. I don't know if I have perfect pitch, but I do know that I sing well enough.

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2022, 2:18 pm

Thanks lovelyanathema,

I would like to hear you sing too!

Kind regards,

Jim

- Failure to habituate

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 6:30 pm

I can't sing. Well, I don't try much. Singing has always been something I have never wanted to do in front of people since I was about 7 years old, and I don't really sing when I'm on my own.

Some Aspies are really good at singing. In fact some prefer to express themselves through singing.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 11:18 am

when i was recovering from alcohol and drugs i took to singing
i had a lovely singing voice and i would go to a local studio and be recorded singing nursery rhymes for children

i dont sing any more tho

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 7:50 pm

You don’t have to have a good voice to be a good singer. Bob Dillon is a good example.

Louis Armstrong does not have a great voice but he uses it spectacularly. Bing Crosby once said Louis was the greatest singer ever, and he should know.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 8:16 pm

BobinPgh wrote:
I have a question for those in the know: Is singing a skill like swimming or tennis or is it a "gift". The choir director who rejected me insists that "matching pitches consistently" is a gift and I guess God decided not to give it to me.

I think some people are naturally gifted singers. My daughter once heard that a local little theatre was putting on “The Sound of Music” and wanted to audition. There were a Lot of other girls there with the same idea. There were girls who were gifted but untrained, there were girls who were well trained but not very gifted. And there were girls who were both well trained and gifted.
There were enough boys and girls (the director announced) to make three complete casts. But they only had room for one cast.

I think they picked the ones who were both talented and well trained. (My daughter was not one of those chosen).

I am sure many of them went on to sing in other things. My daughter was in many musicals in highschool but never in a lead part - she had an ok voice but had the unfortunate habit of choking in auditions. Her throat would actually close up on her when she auditioned because of nerves.

She sang beautifully in other groups. She had voice training in High school.