Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

Just got Prozac added to my cocktail of ADD and anxiety meds (I already have a post about this in the Haven)..even though it is supposed to take a while to start working, I already feel it. It helps a lot more than just the Adderall....and I don't need the valium as often...

(I am assessed as having AS, but I have very strong ADD traits, including severe executive dysfunction)

I am feeling a lot less overwhelmed....and generally "better"...I had what might have been a side effect yesterday, which felt something like a "hot flash" and my face got all red and puffy and I had a pins and needles feeling all over, but I had just gotten back from exerting myself on a brisk walk to the store, and the spell came on when I came from the hot outside into the cool inside..but it was unsusal and since it was not something I normally experienced I thought maybe it was a prozac thing.

I looked it up and "skin redness" on the face and neck was listed as a potential side effect...

Before I was taking the Prozac (for only a week)....I was having crying spells all the time...and had let my ADD meds run out...and the ADD meds (adderall) were not working very well because I would undermedicate, taking micro doses and attempting to skip when I could......

Since I have to take the prozac every day, it helps me regiment my dosages of everything...I take Addy, prozac, and 1/2 a valium in the mid-morning and that helps me stay functional for the rest of the day....

I am cautiously optimistic, because I really have been quite overwhelmed and dysfunctional and constantly struggling...but now I am having times when I am able to do stuff...like a "normal" person....and such......I feel a lot less overwhelmed.....I am not getting sidetracked and hyperfocusing as much...I don't feel as anxious and avoidant...I can make a little more eye contact....

I wish I could feel this way through natural means,,,,,,I have been able to do things for myself that I would have difficulty with otherwise....like functionally focus on improving my diet....which before, was somewhat of a daunting task because I was so mucked down and overwhelmed....Now I am actually able to be conscientious enough to avoid gluten and casein (more than before anyway)

I am juicing every day....I cleaned my house, which was an utter and impossible train wreck.....

In general...even though I am taking an SSRI, an amphetamine and valium, I feel better and am getting things done that I could not before.....I know that the feeling is artificial. and I am somehow doing bad things to myself and am at risk of horrible side effects if I stop....but I need these tools right now....they are helping me...

If I could transition from this to natural remedies, I would....but sincerely...I would not have the wherewithal to improve my diet and do other healthy natural things as easily if I were not medicated.....

la la ....I had more of a point, but I forgot what it was...

For years I was resistant to taking st. johns wort because of the photosensitivity issue....I am already terribly sensitive to the sun.....but would there be any difference if I transitioned from the prozac to St. Johns wort? Prozac has the same effect...

As for the valium...I take so little now that I don't experience withdrawal when I don't take it, but sometimes nothing works better....no matter how many herbal anxiety supplements I may take....like l-theanine, and gaba....and valarian....and allllllll the different ones I have tried over the years.....

I feel I need it less with the prozac....my tolerance for stress has seemed to have improved (and this is after a week).....

Anywhoo.....

I can't think of a substitute for the Adderall....I stop taking it and the effects are very noticeable....and I am very dysfunctional....before I took adderall, I was self medicating with energy supplements and too much caffeine and anything I could get my hands on to assist with the overwhelming mental fatigue that I would experience......when having to handle day to day chores etc......belah...I wish I had more of a point....

Anyone else have similar or opposite personal experiences? Anyone here successfully transition from pharmaceuticals to natural stuff.....I was using natural stuff for YEARS......(much of my life)...before I ever resorted to pharmaceuticals....

I just turned 36....started taking ADD meds off and on when I was around 31ish.....regularly for the past 2 years or so,,,,,and they have helped me only marginally till I added the prozac....(or maybe since I am not supposed to feel the prozac)....tricking myself into regulating my dosage...(which I had trouble with before) is what has helped me....or the placebo effect......

ok...now I am rambling....just wanna hear about other people's experiences...thanks

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2011, 5:56 pm

Hi.

I take a similar regimen of medications; Lexapro (an SSRI like Prozac) and Ritalin. There's nothing like getting functional again, right? I've been on this stuff about 2 years, and I've been able to go back to school and generally improve my situation.

I remember your earlier post when you started on the Prozac, I'm glad it's helping! I also had the allegedly mythical instant effect when I started on Lexapro.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 6:08 pm

I really like Acia and Goji juice. I try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies, especially spinach and avocados, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. I take potassium supplements, and drink a lot of low fat milk. I like to eat Tabouli salad because it is a way to get some whole grains and nutrients and it keeps well in a container in the fridge. It's also a nutrient dense food. I eat a lot of salmon and use olive oil whenever possible. Eating nutrient rich foods has provided a lot of the nutrients supplements do. I tend to have bad luck with medications.

Oh, and I also really love orange juice. I drink Cranberry juice, too. It's not easy drinking a lot of juice, though, because there's only so much I can drink in one day, so I have to limit myself to one or two varieties at a time.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

Today has not been so good...I am experiencing chest pains..which have been a documented side effect of Prozac..it is my assumption, that my meds are interacting in some adverse way...at the moment....uck uck

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

yeah, a lot of these meds can literally kill you, and destroy your health in many other ways.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 8:48 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Today has not been so good...I am experiencing chest pains..which have been a documented side effect of Prozac..it is my assumption, that my meds are interacting in some adverse way...at the moment....uck uck

Sorry to hear that :(

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:44 am

oldmantime wrote:
yeah, a lot of these meds can literally kill you, and destroy your health in many other ways.

But they seem to be all I can do to keep from feeling completely useless

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:50 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I really like Acia and Goji juice. I try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies, especially spinach and avocados, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. I take potassium supplements, and drink a lot of low fat milk. I like to eat Tabouli salad because it is a way to get some whole grains and nutrients and it keeps well in a container in the fridge. It's also a nutrient dense food. I eat a lot of salmon and use olive oil whenever possible. Eating nutrient rich foods has provided a lot of the nutrients supplements do. I tend to have bad luck with medications.

Oh, and I also really love orange juice. I drink Cranberry juice, too. It's not easy drinking a lot of juice, though, because there's only so much I can drink in one day, so I have to limit myself to one or two varieties at a time.

I have a juicer that is easy to use..otherwise..executuve dysfunction makes the act of procuring lots of healthy foods really kind of overwhelming and tough...I am allergic to a lot of berries...and certain food aversions...don't like the texture of tabouli a whole lot...I eat nutritional bars...but preparing foods is often rather daunting...

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2011, 3:03 am

Hi,
I'm a little worried about the side effects. Did your face get puffy i.e. swell, or was it just red? There are also the chest pains. I would possibly get medical advice and look carefully at the instructions but I'm going off a description.
There are lots of other anti-depressants so don't worry that it is this or nothing. They take about 3 weeks to work. My doctor will say come back in 3 weeks or earlier if there are side effects. I have just felt a bit sick for a few weeks and had changes in weight on some of them.

It is not ideal, but if it works for you don't worry you may be able to wean yourself off when you are feeling better. I'm sorry I have also tried a lot of anti-depressants for depression and anxiety and feel some guilt that I am on pills at 30. I've just started on one similar to Prozac and there have been some improvements. I'm also trying circadin for occasional use to see if it helps me sleep. I managed to stay in bed asleep but did wake 3 times and go straight back to sleep.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2011, 3:05 am

I presume you are exercising and eating well? this can make a difference

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

I am eating well when i can..and while i do not have a regimented exercise program i do lots of walking, and since I do not drive a car, I ride a bike. When I am on meds it is easier for me to do stuff...except am not sure what i am supposed to do about the prozac since i had my bad chest pain spell...Adderall is an amphetamine that I have been taking for some years, and I have NEVER had chest pains on the adderall....I am used to adderall...I can go without taking it, but after a while I get to be very silly and useless..A one month script lasts me about 3 months cause I undermedicate...i have been trying to do better, so I have been taking slightly more (less that what is instructed on the bottle)..but not missing doses and trying to go without...I was regimenting/regulating my dosage because I have to take the prozac every day.....and I had been doing well....aside from one incident where my face did swell up and get red and splotchy.....and then this chest pain incident.