Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2011, 8:30 pm

Hello Everyone,

Let's kick this around and see what we come up with.

To start things off;

What do you think about the theory of mind?

All the very best!

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

I think NTs have certain social behaviors that are like pantomime in that they are not natural but learned and artificial. These do not necessarily correspond to their true impulses. They may suppress their true impulses for the sake of social solvency and their outward pantomimes begin to direct their inner experience. This starts around age sevenish as far as I can tell.

Aspies are not blind to the actual animal impulses of people. They read these very well or would read them well were it not so intense and intimidating to do so because these are untamed impulses we are talking about, the kind that provoke pre-civilized responses of fear if negative.

Aspies do however lack whatever things, mirror neurons?, that provide the ability to pick up the pantomime and take part in it and understand it in others. They have to figure that out with logic.

Just my initial uninformed thoughts on the matter.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 11:57 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2011, 12:09 am

Hello Purchase,

Thank you for your post.

Our thoughts, emotions, and understanding all make up our unique theory of mind. This leads to being able, or not able to read the intention of others.

It is thought that people with ASD have little ability to read and appreciate the emotions and behaviour of others. I do get the big emotions, but I do not get some of the subtle ones, that are often interchanged.

I have found structure is helpful.

Hope to hear more from you.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2011, 12:18 am

Hello CockneyRebel,

Thank you for your welcome.

oddtism
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2011, 12:21 am

Outward pantomimes perpetuate inner experiences in aspies too. Albeit in drastically different ways. We are all compromising our impulses affectively. I would largely agree that society has become very superficial mainly because we are too influenced, even manipulated, from the day we are born. People tend to forget or deny we are animals. Many philosophers say life is like a dream. It seems more like a nightmare to me.

Last edited by oddtism on 28 Aug 2011, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2011, 11:17 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2011, 9:11 pm

Hello Richie,

Wow! Your welcome is just amazing.

Thank you very much, I am very touched, thank you!

All my very best to you!

Have a wonderful day!

LostInMyMind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

oddtism wrote:
Outward pantomimes perpetuate inner experiences in aspies too. Albeit in drastically different ways. We are all compromising our impulses affectively. I would largely agree that society has become very superficial mainly because we are too influenced, even manipulated, from the day we are born. People tend to forget or deny we are animals. Many philosophers say life is like a dream. It seems more like a nightmare to me.

The problem with that logic is that nightmares are indeed dreams, just negative ones. When something is different from the norm or what is wanted, humans just have to give it a name.

When a child runs to their parents' room in terror after waking up from a nightmare, nearly all would say "I had a bad dream", and it's an accurate phrase as that is, of course, exactly what nightmares are.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2011, 12:54 am

Mind-blindness and Empathy?

Where does social adaption fit into this model of thought?

Last edited by Art-sung on 30 Aug 2011, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2011, 12:57 am

Do the people that read this thread think that Simon Baron-Cohen's, theory of Mind-blindness cover's the actual experience of people on the Autistic spectrum?

Please do share your thoughts!

All the best!

blueper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

Apparently a lot of us women don't have as much trouble with the social and communication stuff, which is why we don't get diagnosed, or even suspect we are possible Aspie. But get me around loud noises, confusion, multiple tasks, dentists, itchy shirt tags etc. and, uh oh, mind-blindness. Or around projects (any sort will do, just don't ask me to finish them) or art materials, whee, I'm gone from any planet. Out of my mind, back in a few hours.