MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 2:30 am

Which would bring you to tears more?

Great acts of Goodness

or

Great acts of Evil

It is fine if both move you to tears, the point of this exercise is to see which moves you to tears MORE. Forget even Great acts, just normal acts of either, which moves you to tears more easily? For me it has to be goodness, I tear up when I hear something uplifting because it isn't always normative in my life or when I read or watch the news, evil just frustrates and pisses me off though I would tear up at the loss of many lives, especially when done in the name of God. Or when adults commit evil to children, that pisses me no end! It doesn't have to be extreme like verbal or physical violence, it could even be just be family politics and mean-spiritedness, you know, day-to-day things.

How about you?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:43 am

neither and both. mainly, i hurt when people are hurting. i saw a PBS POV documentary short, "6 weeks" about a poverty-stricken polish mother having to give up her newborn infant for adoption, and when they showed the note she wrote to her child [which he could not read until the age of 18], saying [paraphrased] "please forgive me for not having the financial resources to keep you." i bawled like a baby. i bawled at the social injustice of such poverty existing anywhere, let alone in a supposedly civilized modern nation, i bawled at the mother having to give up a piece of herself that she carried 9 months. i bawled because in the mother's nation birth control is strictly limited. i bawled at her stoicism in the face of such a wrenching event as losing her child to morally bankrupt economic forces. i bawled because my own grandmother was sold by her impoverished family into indentured servitude on a farm where she was not treated any better than the farm animals. this world makes me cry. :(

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

My property tax bill.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

Neither.

Tears are not something that I have ready access to.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

Goodness, but of a certain kind.

I'm more moved by good acts if they took serious cajones* to pull off. Not the self-sacrificing martyr type, but I mean seriously brave.

*mis-spelt on purpose

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

I'm hardly ever moved to tears since I'm pretty damn jaded and somewhat cold and distant but good deeds tend to make me feel warm and fuzzy while bad deeds tend to make me feel disgusted so I'd say good deeds would more likely move me to tears.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Neither.

Tears are not something that I have ready access to.

Absolutely. That said, GOOD is less common, stands out more . Evil, especially in the age of instant media, habituates all top quickly.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

Why cry when you can make someone else do it...... :twisted:

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

okay, I think I might have to tailor this a bit.

Perhaps tears being a physical reaction, let's cut that out for a moment - which emotion resonates with you stronger, that if it were an NT, they would shed a tear.

are you more moved or warmed up by acts of goodness

or

are you more saddened by acts of evil?

Perhaps my question no longer makes any sense because no one here tears up very easily. When was the last time any of you were greatly moved emotionally? I, as a religious person, think that being accountable to God for our actions has caused me a great sense of comfort and solace in that a great many religiously-active christians I have dealt with over my life have been more forgiving and understanding of my AS symptoms. I have also met a great many non-religious souls, who, not knowing of my AS still saw through the problems I presented and were willing to work around that as well, though the generosity of the non-religious or the not-religiously-active christians (just going by the number of experiences a 24 year old could have so far in his life) pales in comparison.

Just reflecting a bit warmed me to shed a tear or two in gratitude as it has not been normative in my experience to meet kind and forgiving people, so thank god for decent people that make this lifetime manageable.

I also witnessed my aunt shun one of my nieces out of her life just because she is not getting along with her mother, which brought me great distress as this niece grew up loving this aunt. She is 9, distraught, and doesn't understand the politics of family and the cruelty of adults, and it saddens me to see adults include children in their bitter affairs. Leave the kids alone! Both experiences have made me happy and sad so I was wondering if one(goodness or evil) more readily moved a person to tears.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 8:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
neither and both. mainly, i hurt when people are hurting. i saw a PBS POV documentary short, "6 weeks" about a poverty-stricken polish mother having to give up her newborn infant for adoption, and when they showed the note she wrote to her child [which he could not read until the age of 18], saying [paraphrased] "please forgive me for not having the financial resources to keep you." i bawled like a baby. i bawled at the social injustice of such poverty existing anywhere, let alone in a supposedly civilized modern nation, i bawled at the mother having to give up a piece of herself that she carried 9 months. i bawled because in the mother's nation birth control is strictly limited. i bawled at her stoicism in the face of such a wrenching event as losing her child to morally bankrupt economic forces. i bawled because my own grandmother was sold by her impoverished family into indentured servitude on a farm where she was not treated any better than the farm animals. this world makes me cry. :(

im not one to relate because I come from a strong family background (being tongan). Familism, clan-ism, and blood are of the upmost importance, and you are commanded to love blood (even if you've never met them before) be it a half-brother that you come to be aware of living a life in some far off distant country. That is my background, though for me, blood and family do not compromise my morals or ethics. If you shot a man to death and stole his car and you happened to turn to me to hide you, I'd report you to the police and flee for my own life in case another family member finds out what I did and takes revenge, but just because we're blood does not mean I'm going to make a serious ethical compromise.

That said, that is a saddening tale. Could a family-based society have prevented something like from happening? For one, a single mother from where I came from would not exist, she would be forced to marry out of wedlock and the guy would be forced to take care of her (financially) and the child. If that could not happen, there is no way that child would be given away, it would be adopted by one of her 10 aunts or 10 uncles, and she would have regular access to the child and be just as much a part of it until she can get on her feet.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

I'm more moved by good acts if they took serious cajones* to pull off. Not the self-sacrificing martyr type, but I mean seriously brave.

*mis-spelt on purpose

it takes a moral giant to stand up for right. Now our days, simply standing up to a big-oil company and demanding they pay their fare share of taxes or making a film about the unjust occupation of Palestine can cause one to think they have cajones and their good acts brave. Just as giving a homeless person on the street a few quarters can make one feel like they are a charitable person. But when it is a seriously brave individual puts a lot on the line like their life or their career - I'm not talking about risking a little jail time as there are stupid protestors involved at sit-ins who will go to jail yet their protest produced absolutly nothing in terms of policy yet they will feel as if they've accomplished a lot, but I'm talking about risking a whole lot more - for the betterment of others, that does move to tears as well.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

*mis-spelt on purpose

it takes a moral giant to stand up for right. Now our days, simply standing up to a big-oil company and demanding they pay their fare share of taxes or making a film about the unjust occupation of Palestine can cause one to think they have cajones and their good acts brave. Just as giving a homeless person on the street a few quarters can make one feel like they are a charitable person. But when it is a seriously brave individual puts a lot on the line like their life or their career - I'm not talking about risking a little jail time as there are stupid protestors involved at sit-ins who will go to jail yet their protest produced absolutly nothing in terms of policy yet they will feel as if they've accomplished a lot, but I'm talking about risking a whole lot more - for the betterment of others, that does move to tears as well.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 8:37 pm

I am more moved by acts of "goodness."

I think this is because I don't understand why people do good things. The evil acts I can understand more, and are never really a surprise.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 8:52 pm

I've made a conscious effort to foster a heart-welling/teary emotional response to sweet/good things and now I'm sometimes unable to tell if I'm legitimately touched by these things or if it's part of the "act". (I initially did this to seem/feel more normal but admitting that makes me feel like a sociopath)

Bad/evil things make me furious but I rarely cry unless the bad/evil thing is happening directly to me or a loved one and I can't fight back for some reason. Helpless frustration makes me cry.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 8:53 pm

I only cry when I'm deeply personally hurt.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 6:16 am

visagrunt wrote:
Neither. Tears are not something that I have ready access to.

maybe you are among the fortunate.