Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Several people seem to have misread my statement, so I'll put out a blanket clarification in lieu of answering each individual post.

Merely arguing for progressive taxation is not "class warfare", using an emotional argument that relies on jealousy and envy instead to whip up ill will towards the better off in order to get people to resent their success is. It's arguing Nancy Grace style, get people worked up enough and they won't care what the facts are as long as the object of their ire is punished, or not in that case.

That depends. Do they want progressive taxation to finance infrastructure, defense, education, and economic security? Or do they want progressive taxation because they have somehow rationalized that they deserve more handouts from the government simply because they are poor and others aren't? The former is not class warfare and is motivated by civic responsibility even if their plan isn't sound, but the latter is class warfare no matter how they try to disguise it.

Well, it seems to most conservatives/libertarians lump the former in with the latter. The fact that most people pay less federal income tax than what those with an income stretching into the very highest tax bracket means that most people are effectively getting a "handout". At least according to the Tea Party philosophy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
If it is indeed true that 51% does not pay any federal income tax........then that points to much more then 49% having to pay the federal income tax. Why should 51% be below the cut off line for paying income taxes. something does not add up...and trying to shift the tax burden more onto the lower class and poor would certianly not solve the issue. Something is off balance and it seems whatever it is, is in favor of the very wealthy and those with power. And they cannot very well cut all the federal programs to help the low class and poor.......well they could but it would not look good and people would be pretty upset about it.

Well, that stat is based on the growing number of people making less and less, redefining "poverty" in America (if you qualify is a matter of income for your size household....some homes have a good income but enough people to qualify as "in poverty"), the expansion of welfare programs to include people who actually have some money (believe it or not, free meals for kids in school is a welfare program and you don't have to be that poor to get it...which is a shame considering the free meal program is intended for kids from families too poor to afford to pack them a lunch for school).

When I was a kid my family got food stamps...and it was not enough for all four of us to pack a lunch every day of the week for school. So we where on the free and reduced lunch program........and yeah I knew and still know that is welfare. If it had not existed I would have gone quite hungry at school.

And well if a growing number of people are making less and less, I would think there is a problem that needs adressing somewhere....and having 'some' money does not mean you have enough of it.

The lowering or stagnating income levels for Americans is a result of downsizing, outsourcing....the whole "global economy" scam shipping all the good paying manufacturing jobs to 3rd world nations and leaving those dislocated workers scrambling for new employment (but new jobs aren't being created). Most all dislocated workers wind up taking a new job with lower pay and benefits than where they last worked.

Yes it probably is.....and that would be a problem, but no one seems to want to do much about it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
The lowering or stagnating income levels for Americans is a result of downsizing, outsourcing....the whole "global economy" scam shipping all the good paying manufacturing jobs to 3rd world nations and leaving those dislocated workers scrambling for new employment (but new jobs aren't being created). Most all dislocated workers wind up taking a new job with lower pay and benefits than where they last worked.

Yes it probably is.....and that would be a problem, but no one seems to want to do much about it.

Besides blaming Obama and librul big gubbermint.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

marshall wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Besides blaming Obama and librul big gubbermint.

Aw, but that would only leave the morally upstanding corporations and the small gub'ment Republicans who'd rather care for the rich than those really in need, to blame. And we all know that they're beyond reproach!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Nil_Nil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

Orwell wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Might be bad form to refer to such people as "lucky ducks," but the point is valid. About 51% of the population does not pay any federal income tax due to income level and other factors (such as the Earned Income Credit which can negate a tax liability otherwise owed).

Lies. That number was 47% last year. It has never once been over 50%. The peak level was 49% under George W Bush.

Quote:
Now, if you don't pay any federal income tax, how demanding should you be for more and more government programs? Do you not realize that since YOU are not paying for it, and about 51% of everyone else is not paying for it, how fair is it to demand more knowing the remaining 49% ARE paying for it?

They still pay taxes. They still pay sales taxes and social security withholding, both of which are regressive taxes. And this is an idiotic, asinine assessment of the situation anyways. Obviously people who are benefited by social welfare programs are not paying for those programs. The whole point of those programs is that these people are not in a position where they can get by on their own.

Quote:
We are in an interesting place as a nation. Everyone has a "right" to vote, but now more than half of all potential voters do not pay into the system but will respond to promises to get stuff back from the system.

And here we get into part of the motivation for your lying distortion of the numbers. More demonization of the poor. This is probably why you think arguments for progressive taxation are motivated by "class warfare" or "resentment." You're projecting.

Quote:
(hence why the USA is a republic and not a democracy).

Those two terms are not mutually exclusive. We are both a republic and a democracy. Learn real political theory rather than BS right-wing talking points.

Crosses the line.

Nil_Nil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Several people seem to have misread my statement, so I'll put out a blanket clarification in lieu of answering each individual post.

Merely arguing for progressive taxation is not "class warfare", using an emotional argument that relies on jealousy and envy instead to whip up ill will towards the better off in order to get people to resent their success is. It's arguing Nancy Grace style, get people worked up enough and they won't care what the facts are as long as the object of their ire is punished, or not in that case.

I agree. Its the methods used.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:57 pm

Nil_Nil wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

I agree. Its the methods used.

But conservatives are now playing the victim card, claiming that never before have the producer class been so vilified by the "moocher" class. Definitely, hostility is being whipped up against poor people.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer